Options

Bafta's, Oscars etc...genuine recognition or cynical marketing tools?

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
Forum Member
✭✭
I used to be that kind of person who would sit up all night to watch awards ceremonies, oscars, globes, bafta's etc. But I stopped.

Have not lost my enthusiasm for movies, just all of the parephenalia and hype that surrounds them.

And for a long time I have become completely bored with awards ceremonies, and consider them just another marketing tool, the same as trailers, posters and other publicity used to sell movies.

Because make no mistake, awards do sell movies and will increase box office revenue. Even more so now that the awards results themselves are usually considered mainstream news.

And I know it's nice to hear that a movie you liked a lot has won awards, but I don't consider them any longer the genuine recognition of excellence they once were.

And consider the timing of the Baftas...Skyfall wins numerous awards days before the UK dvd release, Lincoln has just opened in cinemas here...coincidence?

Another reason I say this is that awards ceremonies are now being 'invented' just to create even more hype around the movies, such as peoples choice awards, Empire film awards etc.

So...genuine recognition of artistic achievement by the film community, or cynical marketing ploy to generate more box office revenue?

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And consider the timing of the Baftas...Skyfall wins numerous awards days before the UK dvd release, Lincoln has just opened in cinemas here...coincidence?

Not at all. Lincoln has been receiving hype for absolute ages. I first heard hype of that film way back during the Summer, and the same for a lot of films that have won
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all. Lincoln has been receiving hype for absolute ages. I first heard hype of that film way back during the Summer, and the same for a lot of films that have won

So you dont think the awards will increase the box office revenue?

Do you want to buy a used car, one careful little lady owner, etc...?
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...genuine recognition of artistic achievement by the film community AND cynical marketing ploy to generate more box office revenue

fixed your post