Matt Smith- How much longer...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    It doesn't feel like Matt has been in the role that long. I would love for Matt to beat Tom Baker's record for longest Doctor but I don't think that will happen.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he stays for at least another series tbh, however it does seem unlikely.

If he regenerates at Christmas, it will have only been a month since the 50th.
    If it remotely leaks then it will steal the limelight from the shows birthday and will be remembered as the year that Matt/Eleven left, which seems wrong.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,475
    Forum Member
    Probably at the end of season 8, along with Mr Moffat. That'll give time for Clara to properly "bed in", ahem, and give the next showrunner free reign.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm bored with him, but I actually don't think its his fault. The frantic running about and waving around of the sonic at every opportunity is the fault of the writer/director, not the actor.

The show needs a shake up, and if Mat is caught in the cross fire, that's a minor price worth paying.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Sources say it's Christmas

It's pretty obvious he's leaving given the regeneration set is coming out.

How do you work that out? The Regeneration Box Set is released in June.

To be honest, I expect Matt to stay on for s8 and leave at the end of that. I'm sure I remember him saying, quite some time ago mind, that Moff had pitched s8 to him and he was thinking about it quite seriously.

Several reasons I personally think he'll stay on beyond this Christmas:
    - The anniversary special is this November. They won't want to overshadow that by announcing the departure of Matt, especially not with Tennant returning. They wouldn't air the anniversary, have it in cinemas for a few weeks, then air the Christmas special in which he leaves with online a few weeks at most to promote that Matt is leaving and a new actor is taking the role.
    - If you choose to take the anniversary special out of the equation then the above still pretty much applies. When David was leaving we had over a years notice. We're now almost halfway through this year; we would have been teased with something by now.
    - Eleven has just had a big change. Remember, Ten's era was full of different companions. This kept him fresh and interesting as a character and he didn't really falter until towards the end of the specials (I think 'Time Lord Victorious' is about when people were ready for him to go). Matt has so far had two main companions, though they came as a pair and has only really just met Clara. Moffat has given him a fresh look and a slightly different attitude; it feels much more like Eleven has matured a lot between 7a and 7b. Even the show has a different feel to it. I can't see why Moffat would have gone to this trouble if Matt was due to leave after half a series this way. I'd imagine it's a change to kept the viewer interested, refresh things a little and almost to replace the need for an urgent regeneration. I think it'd be a real pity, and quite silly, if we only got nine or so episodes with the new Eleven.

These are my personal feelings behind why Matt will stay on for s8. I could be completely wrong but I guess only time will tell.
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Comparing Matt's tenure with David's -

Tennant: 4.5 years; three series and 47 episodes
    Smith: 3.11 years (up until December); three series and 44 episodes (including the Christmas special)

- I think his time is coming to it's natural end, and a Christmas regeneration is actually quite believable.

I can't believe how fast Matt's time has gone compared to David's though. I think it must be because now I'm older (I was 12 when David started and 16 when he left) and less mega enthusiastic about Who, although it's still my absolute favourite programme, the days between episodes no longer feels like weeks. The last 3.4 years have flown by!

Same. (though 11 and 15) I was gonna argue that he hasn't been here long enough to leave yet, but remembered when he came in I was still in secondary school. Time doesn't half fly :p

I'd like him to stay for series 8 (and maybe a series without Moffat as showrunner but thats probably wistful thinking) Then again, I can imagine it being a shock ending to the anniversary episode.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    If he regenerates at Christmas, it will have only been a month since the 50th.

There's a lot of people assuming that if he regenerates it would be in the November special or at Christmas.

If I was moffat I'd kill him off in the name of the Doctor, then write a special where Doc no 12 folds back on her own timeline to edit something that 10 & 11 did wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat has ruined DW and Matt just does not have the same impact as David had, David is a better actor and he had better episodes to work with.
    Kids just don't seem to enjoy the show now, it's all so dark and dreary and boring. Not one episode stands out.
  • Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you can talk on behalf of evry child. And perosnally some episodes do stand out. Even though i love matts doctor, I think he is nearing the end of his time, but i hope it's no this year, becuase it shouldn't iver shadow the 50th, i reckon it will be next year though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    Moffat has ruined DW and Matt just does not have the same impact as David had, David is a better actor and he had better episodes to work with.
    Kids just don't seem to enjoy the show now, it's all so dark and dreary and boring. Not one episode stands out.

It's nice you're able to form your own opinion, but maybe next time you'd like to try and not state it as fact?

I think Moffat has improved DW, and Matt has a bigger impact than David, Matt is a better actor and he has better episodes to work with. Many kids still enjoy the show (and many will have discovered it with Matt's Doctor), yes it's darker but it's certainly not boring. Many of the episodes stand out.

See, you have your opinion, I have mine. And there are thousands of others who have opinions too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Matt is definitely my favourite 21st century Doctor. I started to find Ten smug, glib and lightweight, which is odd as Tennant is such a good actor. Saw no pressing need to watch every single episode he was in, until he stopped running and started sobbing over how he'd only had 9 centuries of life. W**ker.

However, Matt has definitely drawn the short straw in terms of what's going on 'behind the scenes'. I didn't like RTD's 'sci-fi' but he managed to hold it together in terms of admin I don't see how even Mrs Moffat can argue that organisation is what it used to be. People can (and do) come up with 1,000 reasons for all the rumours, but I reserve the right to ignore it all and believe it's a mess. I don't even know if we'll have another Doctor immediately or they'll take a break - money making or not.

Run Matt, run!
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully he will stay until 2015.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nikkiclody wrote: »

Moffat may have ruined Doctor Who, but he for me and many others he's improved Doctor Who.

You may prefer David to Matt, but for that's not the case for me and many others, who believe that Matt is the better Doctor.

Many kids still enjoy the show. Anyhow, kids are not the only audience for Doctor Who.

Dreary and boring? For you, yes, but not for me and many others.

I respect your right to state your opinion, but please don't try to pass it off as fact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrimps wrote: »
    Matt is definitely my favourite 21st century Doctor. I started to find Ten smug, glib and lightweight, which is odd as Tennant is such a good actor. Saw no pressing need to watch every single episode he was in, until he stopped running and started sobbing over how he'd only had 9 centuries of life. W**ker.

However, Matt has definitely drawn the short straw in terms of what's going on 'behind the scenes'. I didn't like RTD's 'sci-fi' but he managed to hold it together in terms of admin I don't see how even Mrs Moffat can argue that organisation is what it used to be. People can (and do) come up with 1,000 reasons for all the rumours, but I reserve the right to ignore it all and believe it's a mess. I don't even know if we'll have another Doctor immediately or they'll take a break - money making or not.

Run Matt, run!

To be fair, I don't think that was Tennant's fault. Ten got more and more egotistical as he ventured on, ultimately climaxing with 'Time Lord Victorious' where he was quickly brought back down to Earth when Adelaide shot herself. Combine that with the singing Ood and his ego very quickly collapsed to show a man whom was perhaps not as big headed as he came across over the past four years of his tenure. A man who knew it was the end but didn't want it to be; but if he hadn't had the high which reached TLV his ending wouldn't have had such impact; to see him reduced to tears during TEOT said it all about Ten really.
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    (I think 'Time Lord Victorious' is about when people were ready for him to go).
    Not being funny but who are these people? I for one wasn't ready for him to go. People can't have it both ways moan about people passing their opinion as fact and then do the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KezM wrote: »
    Not being funny but who are these people? I for one wasn't ready for him to go. People can't have it both ways moan about people passing their opinion as fact and then do the same.

I don't mean everyone but it did seem a lot of people didn't like the turn Ten took in this instance and it did seem the point when a lot of people changed how they felt about Ten regenerating. And I did say 'I think' so I'm not exactly stating it as fact; just what I noticed when this episode aired. Personally I quite liked Time Lord Victorious; it was an interesting twist to the character and it actually made me fear the Doctor; something I've not had before.
  • SamsterSamster Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I had this random, mad daydream the other day and 10 took back over for 2years from the 50th onwards then they swapped and 11 returned.

Getting back to reality, I read an interview with MS in the Metro a few months ago and he hinted at another 2years; his Mum loves him being the Doctor etc.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on Clara and River for me. If we lose River this year, Eleven needs to go too. If Clara turns out to be just a normal girl and isn't going anywhere anytime soon, Eleven could regenerate for Twelve to get a fresh start with her. But with River running around and Clara being some sort of ticking time bomb, I'd feel much more comfortable with Eleven still being with us. Although if he does regenerate, I'd still want River to stick around possibly with a more age-appropriate Doctor and possibly even full time for a series before we inevitably say goodbye to her forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith has been confirmed for the full of 2014....which means he is the doctor for the 50th, 2013 Christmas Special and the whole of series 8 and by the sounds of it Xmas 2014 as well...if whole of 2014 is anything to go by...which links up to what i thought...2015 may be the change up year.....anyways glad to have it confirmed....five years of Matt, fourth series of Matt...YEAH!
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP here....thanks for all the interesting replies. Just wanted to say re: Josh's post; Result! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP here....thanks for all the interesting replies. Just wanted to say re: Josh's post; Result! :)

Yeah baby :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Smith has been confirmed for the full of 2014....which means he is the doctor for the 50th, 2013 Christmas Special and the whole of series 8 and by the sounds of it Xmas 2014 as well...if whole of 2014 is anything to go by...which links up to what i thought...2015 may be the change up year.....anyways glad to have it confirmed....five years of Matt, fourth series of Matt...YEAH!

Do you have confirmation of this??? If so, can you provide a link please???

Not to doubt you but there are many a wind up merchant on these forums
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Disappointed :(. I was hoping I might like 12 more. Typical though - 10 who I loved - get three series, 11 who I'm meh about get four - oh well that is life and so on.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Palmerwho wrote: »
    Do you have confirmation of this??? If so, can you provide a link please???

Not to doubt you but there are many a wind up merchant on these forums

An iO9 article quoting the Radio Times basically :)

http://io9.com/matt-smith-confirms-hell-still-be-starring-in-doctor-w-464794392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that.

I do find it interesting that this article and the link on that page are both dated the end of March.............