Songs you like by some artists which other artists completely ruin

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Mariah Carey absolutely murdered 'Without You' by Nilsson

While Mariah did Nilssons version of Without You the original was by Badfinger.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »
    "Mr Tamborine Man"

The Byrds version was miles better that the original Bob Dylan version imo.

Don't agree at all. The two versions make my later point that one song can become two songs by being re-interprated. I like both, The Byrds' version and the original Dylan version, and at a pinch prefer Dylan's version.
    Forum Member
    I like Siouxsie and the Banshees Dear Prudence much better than the Beatles version, mind you I hate the Beatles.

I'll check that out. I never much cared for The Beatles' version. And I do a GREAT version of Angie Baby, Helen Reddy's song which utterly, utterly misses the point of a cracking song. Mine is' swing jazzy with evil, though so far I just sing it alone here at home, because, well, I'm a no one. More's the pity. I really don't know the world knows what it's missing.
  • bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »
    "Mr Tamborine Man"

The Byrds version was miles better that the original Bob Dylan version imo.

So was Eric Clapton's version of "knocking on heavens door"

Can I add Van Morrison/Them's cover of Dylan's It's All Over Now Baby Blue
    Forum Member
    The Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower is amazing...

.. as is Dylan's own version.
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    Anyone who ever sang any Bob Dylan song sang it better than he did
    He wrote some ace songs, Mr Dylan, no question. But he can sing about as well as a dead dog.

Completely disagree. What about Tin Angel on the recent Tempest. Or Tangled Up In Blue?
    Forum Member
    That is a beautiful song, it has some of the gentlest words ever put together in it. Some songs just shouldnt be covered.

Maybe, but who's going to stop it. the Pop Police?
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    George Michael slaughtered New Order's True Faith.

He ripped the energy and soul out of a dance music classic... the 2 don't even come close in comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1HAkjOuL0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18JRjc9M2Gw
    Forum Member
    Grace Jones' version of Private Life and The Pretenders are both excellent. The Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde wrote it, apparently about The Kinks' Ray Davies with whom she was having an affair.

And for my money Chrissie Hynde's verision wins by a nose.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban. A beautiful song made completely unlistenable by anyone and everyone trotting out their version. If I never hear it again it will be too soon.

*Puts pedantic hat on*
    His version may be best but not the original, he doesn't even sing the second verse.
    *Removes pedantic hat*

Leona butchered Snow Patrol's Run, incidentally I also prefer Kelly Clarkson's version of A Moment Like This as well.

Have to echo the comments about the songs in adverts, I work in Debenhams and if I hear that "Youth" song once more I'm going to scream, it's always at the most whiny part too.

On the other hand I do like Travis' version of Baby One More Time.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering Heights covered by Tarja Turunen who was lead vocalist with NightWish. Love her voice but she butchers Kate Bush.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    warszawa wrote: »
    Killing me Softly was done well by Roberta Flack, whilst The Fugees made it into something all together worse.

Years ago I heard a version of this apparently by the guy who wrote it. It was miles better. Trouble is I can't remember his name, and no amount of googling can track it down. Her version was OK but a tad too girly for this butch chap, plus on the strength of it I bought the LP (YEARS ago on when LP didn't mean whatever it means now) which it featured and God what a mistake. Talk about 'pity me' girly music.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    In my opinion hardly anyone can get away with doing covers of Smiths songs, though Kirsty MacColls version of You Just havent earned it yet baby is passable

she also does a great cover of a new England (billy bragg) but Jamie T and Kate Nash do rubbish versions of that

the best cover versions to me are

Dear Prudence by Siouxsie (Beatles)
    Jolene by The Sisters of Mercy (Dollly P)
    B@stards of Young by the Cribs (The Replacements)
    Shadowplay by The Killers (Joy Division)
    Total Eclipse of the Heart by Dustins Bar Mitzvah (Bonnie Tyler)
    Ferry Cross the Mersey by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (Gerry and the Pacemakers)
    All Tommorrows Parties by Japan (Velvet Underground)
    Head On by the Pixies (Jesus and Mary Chain)
    Time for Heroes by Graham Coxon (The Libertines)
    Nothing Compares to You by Sinead O Connor (Prince)
    Why Dont You Find Out for Yourself by The Killers (Morrissey)

Bad ones to me are

Kiss by Tom Jones or The Age of Chance (Prince)
    Whiskey In The Jar by Pulp (Thin Lizzy)
    Mr Blue Sky by Lily Allen (ELO)
    They Dont Know by Tracey Ullman (Kirsty MacColl)
    A Little Respect by Wheatus (Erasure)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    In my opinion hardly anyone can get away with doing covers of Smiths songs, though Kirsty MacColls version of You Just havent earned it yet baby is passable

she also does a great cover of a new England (billy bragg) but Jamie T and Kate Nash do rubbish versions of that

the best cover versions to me are
    I'd add to that :-
    St Etienne - Only Love Will Break Your Heart - Neil Young original - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZAajrxvDs4
    Song To The Siren - This Mortal Coil - Tim Buckley original - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1LeXdP9lcM
    Bad ones to me are

Kiss by Tom Jones or The Age of Chance (Prince)
    Whiskey In The Jar by Pulp (Thin Lizzy)
    Mr Blue Sky by Lily Allen (ELO)
    They Dont Know by Tracey Ullman (Kirsty MacColl)
    A Little Respect by Wheatus (Erasure)

Just remembered Madonna's destruction of Don McLean's American Pie.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »

And I prefer Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You.

Agree completely.

I lived in the States for a couple of years, and when I left, Whitters' yowling version of IWALY had been number one for weeks and weeks. Just after I moved back to England, the goddam song was released here, and stayed at number one for ten long weeks!!! That's about half a year of my life in total with that banshee version topping the charts. Far too long.

Needless to say, I HATE that version.
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing Shirley Bassey singing Elenor Rigby, dressed like a chandelier in a brothel and singing with a huge grin on her face as she gyrated about. Totally missed the point of the song.

:D This post sent me into fits!
    warszawa wrote: »
    Killing me Softly was done well by Roberta Flack, whilst The Fugees made it into something all together worse.

:D ''One time'' never failed to make me laugh.
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    At the risk of heresy...

You'll Never Walk Alone

A lot of people seem to think it's an original football anthem by Gerry & the Pacemakers :o
    :eek: I think most of us know it's from Carousel and was originally sung by a woman, as well as being adopted by Celtic. However, as a Scouser and a proud LFC supporter, it'll always be Anfield's anthem to me.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not 'ruined' as such, but it kind of irritates me how Madness' version of "It Must Be Love" is thought of as the definitive version.
    It's a bit 'full on' for a love song,imo. Labi Siffre's original version is much gentler and nicer, yet most people ( unless they're getting on a bit, like me :D) don't even know it was done by someone else.

Here it is, for those who've never heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-7NV5StCLu4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »

:eek: I think most of us know it's from Carousel and was originally sung by a woman, as well as being adopted by Celtic. However, as a Scouser and a proud LFC supporter, it'll always be Anfield's anthem to me.

The Fields of Anfield Road is much better than the Fields of Athenry!
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    The Fields of Anfield Road is much better than the Fields of Athenry!

I love both versions - the Irish fans' singing of the latter during Euro 2012 gave me goose pimples.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    I love both versions - the Irish fans' singing of the latter during Euro 2012 gave me goose pimples.

Yeah - the original's not too bad either... but it can't compare to the emotions that Anfield Rd provokes when the kop is in full voice
    Forum Member
    Not 'ruined' as such, but it kind of irritates me how Madness' version of "It Must Be Love" is thought of as the definitive version.
    It's a bit 'full on' for a love song,imo. Labi Siffre's original version is much gentler and nicer, yet most people ( unless they're getting on a bit, like me :D) don't even know it was done by someone else.

They've obviously never seen the video for Madness' version then, considering Mr Siffre pops up in it. Either that or they were too dim to find out who he was and what he was doing there (well, apart from playing a violin).
    irishguy wrote: »
    Yeah - the original's not too bad either... but it can't compare to the emotions that Anfield Rd provokes when the kop is in full voice

Our kop choir is amazing once we get going.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Beautiful, love the purity of the original.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah! I completely forgot he was in the Madness vid. :)
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    NIN - Hurt. Johnny Cash was able to pull it off, Leona Lewis, no. Just no.