being Paul Gascoigne

124»

Comments

• rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flabby_Gut wrote: »
    I'm with you on that and posted something similar above.

As Partridge. A, would say, "that's just a noise" - and that was when he was allegedly sober on some Irish chat show I think.

He could never be a pundit but surely he has loads to give teams. Even local or non league teams.

In my lifetime Gazza & O'Sullivan have been the most naturally gifted. I really want him to sort himself out because everytime I see Gazza in a headline I am fearing the worst.

Sort it out Paul!

Having read 39 Days of Gazza, about his short stint as manager of Kettering Town, I would have to disagree
  • squeekycheekssqueekycheeks Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Having read 39 Days of Gazza, about his short stint as manager of Kettering Town, I would have to disagree

Yes I agree. Turning up drunk, not turning up at all. Its disruptive to the rest of the people at the club and unfair.

He seems to have a good support network, but ultimately its down to him.

I sincerely hope he can muster the strength and determination to beat this, but to me it looks like hes had enough ..

One day at a time, Paul.......
  • super-saintsuper-saint Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jioscar wrote: »
    Lives in a rented penthouse in Boscombe/Bournemouth doesn't come cheap

I take it you have never been to Boscum? Horrible horrible place!
  • stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    I think his family deserve more credit and that Sheryl has put up with a lot over the years. You can hardly blame Sheryl for divorcing him, she probably had to do that for her own sanity but she does still appear to be there for him as much as she can be. Many wives would have taken the money and disappeared severing all contact.

I didnt say I blamed her for divorcing him, if everything she has said is true then she was probably quite right too for her own sake, and her childrens; but that still doesnt take away from the fact that she, and Bianca, have made money off his name. Both have been paid to do reality tv, the book deal, interviews, wasnt there even a documentary a few years back he claimed afterwards that he was convinced by her to sign a contract for it when he was in a vulnerable state.

Looked up the documentary 'Surviving Gazza', just found this article Jamie Redknapp wrote about it:
    Surviving Gazza: He looked fragile and vulnerable... this show just seemed like another cheap shot
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1107242/Surviving-Gazza--He-looked-fragile-vulnerable--just-like-cheap-shot.html
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    So very sad. Im torn on wether Cheryl is a money grabber living off his name or if she genuinely wants to keep helping him despite his relapses time after time. She appears to have a life sentence "mothering" him and she hasnt remarried or have a current boyfriend, despite being divorced from Gazza for 15 years. Paul also has never had a long term partner since. Her life has realy been all about Gazza for the last 20 years since she met him. The best thing for her is to move on so that Paul doesnt have this false dream of them living happily ever after.

I have a friend who did exactly the same when her marriage broke down. Twenty years later they wouldn't dream making any major decision without discussing it together. Consequently, neither have moved on. Can't live with, can't live without.
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As it happens I live in Bournemouth:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And another thing nicer than Southampton :p
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I have a friend who did exactly the same when her marriage broke down. Twenty years later they wouldn't dream making any major decision without discussing it together. Consequently, neither have moved on. Can't live with, can't live without.

aint just crocodiles in de nile
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member

gazza will end up drinking in the cresent with the rest of the alkys
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Gazza's poem at the end got me! There was a pogniant inevitability in his writing, - he knows exactly what the score is and is powerless to stop it. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Good luck to Paul. A lovely guy. He doesn't have a bad bone in his body, just demons.

Yes what a lovely guy! He beat up his wife, so no bad bone then! God help anyone if that what you class as ok!
  • ivqiiivqii Posts: 81
    Forum Member

He seems to have a good support network, but ultimately its down to him.

This ( and the media of course - who WILL kill him ) is the problem

All support should be withdrawn otherwise he will never make it.I am talking about family and so-called friends - professional support he definitely needs.But not the paid for clinics in the US
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Pathetic, helpless alcoholic who refuses to help himself. How predictable of people to say 'aww'. He's also a wife beater. **** him.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I've been watching BBC 2 since 9pm. I've even left Sarah Millican on, that's how interested in Gascoigne I am.

You must have been desperate !
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Yes what a lovely guy! He beat up his wife, so no bad bone then! God help anyone if that what you class as ok!

Ah yes, that was the wife who kept his surname and took him for every penny. She must realy hate being associated with him not to mention her awfull daughter who also trades on her famous ex stepfather's name.
    Not condoning wife beating at all but there is always two sides etc.
    I met Paul a few times when he was younger and always found him to be a pleasent enough guy.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He just looked like an ancient old bumbling fool. I am surprised he is still alive and I am repeating that as I said the same when there was all that Raoul Moat nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Ah yes, that was the wife who kept his surname and took him for every penny. She must realy hate being associated with him not to mention her awfull daughter who also trades on her famous ex stepfather's name.
    I met Paul a few times when he was younger and always found him to be a pleasent enough guy.

So she still has his surname, and got money from him for her and the children, and she got beaten to a pulp... Yes i see both sides... So the new rule is any wife that takes her share, and keep's the name (mine did) she should also be beaten up! That what I did wrong, never laid a finger on mine.
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »

She always seemed to care for him, to be fair. And maybe she kept THAT name because she wanted to have the same name as her son...the child SHE carried, gave birth to and nurtured, yet because of patriarchy carries his alcoholic father's name...the one who wasn't there when he was sick, or scared or just needed a hug.

But yes....let's blame HER!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Cadhla* wrote: »
    She always seemed to care for him, to be fair. And maybe she kept THAT name because she wanted to have the same name as her son...the child SHE carried, gave birth to and nurtured, yet because of patriarchy carries his alcoholic father's name...the one who wasn't there when he was sick, or scared or just needed a hug.

Well said...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why do we make folk heroes of the like of him, if a normal thug was drunk, beat up his wife, and a train guard etc.. We being saying lock him up... By just because he played football, he a hero and can do no wrong....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why do we make folk heroes of the like of him, if a normal thug was drunk, beat up his wife, and a train guard etc.. We being saying lock him up... By just because he played football, he a hero and can do no wrong....

Totally agree he's a yob !
    Forum Member
    *Cadhla* wrote: »

Actually I didn't and she wasn't beaten to a pulp but yes the idiot did assault her.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a bit like some pop stars and actors being considered 'characters' for obnoxious behaviour, or having it brushed to one side because of their perceived talent.