Hubby Vs 'brother'

QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK. Last Thursday afternoon, there was a knock on our door and Hubby answered it. Two police officers came in and wanted to speak to him. They said 'a ('brothers' name) has made a complaint of harassment against my Hubby and they wanted him to go in for questioning at a police station, which was for yesterday (Mon 6 Dec 10.30am).

Now

'brother' has been harassing US for 2 years and we have called the police many times and still have the paperwork relating to each incident and crime numbers, all involving 'brothers'. Also, one of them was found guilty in court and sentenced for racial harassment of Hubby in June last year.

But

One of my 'brothers' somehow managed to get a job in the very same supermarket my Hubby goes to and has done so for 10+ years. He knows absolutely everybody there. They know him. If he's 5 minutes late for shopping, they enquire about him. If he doesn't go there at all, staff ring us to ask if he's OK. He knows them all by name from cleaners to management. The shoppers all know him (when I go with him, which is quite rarely, I get really bemused). But 'brother' called the police to say Hubby was harassing him.

And 'brother' is correct, as to say Hubby was warning each and every member of staff that 'brother' is a thief and be careful of their stuff. 'brother' has a criminal record as long as my arm and he's 22.

So yesterday, Hubby went to police station. I went with him. Bought his newspapers and his beloved Formula One magazine and cried. He was to be arrested for the very first time in his 68 years. As he was being processed in the custody area, a young police officer recognised Hubby and said 'I know you' and Hubby said 'I know you' and officer said 'that f**king family' (meaning my 'family' LOL) in front of the custody officer, and officer about to interview Hubby. The police are very well aware of 'family' Hubby was then given a very through medical (he has had a triple heart bypass, diabetes, arthritis, suffers with gout) by a nice nurse and placed in a cell WITHOUT the cell door shut. He was talking to the officers about the cricket and Arsenal whiling the time away for his interview. He waited for his solicitor. She came in (God bless her) and the interview started.

I waited for about 2 hours and left a note on his car to say it was too cold)

I went home and really got worried and really did expect the worst, because he wasn't going to deny it. He was right. he said to officer 'if you saw a cow-boy plumber at a mates house, wouldn't you warn him that that person is a con'. The police said would Hubby accept a caution 'I will not. Take me to court'

Hubby released without charge.

Police will have a serious word with 'brother' about this.

Supermarket was called while Hubby was being interviewed and were asked if Hubby was to be banned and the response was 'of course not' There was not a single complaint from a member of staff of supermarket.

He may not last in job long as he lied about criminal record.

Hubby home by 3.30pm and I was so thrilled.

Daughter was home from school 15 minutes later and they went to the same supermarket, and guess what?

The cashiers said 'where've you been' :D:D:D

He couldn't and didn't say:D

We haven't told Daughter for fear this will really upset her to think Dad was locked up. She's still on a high from her birthday last weekend and if she knew this, it would hurt her because Dad was hurt.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure whether you want advice or somewhere to have a moan :confused:
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on such a high. I'm so happy. I have been through so much and the police were so good to Hubby.
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just WOW! Your 'brother' or his 'Brother'?
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you putting "brother" in quotation marks? Is he your brother? Or is he black?:confused:
  • Rawr!Rawr! Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh brother!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on such a high. I'm so happy. I have been through so much and the police were so good to Hubby.

Ah right, sorry, I didn't realise :p
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    This is obviously a real life problem and upsetting for you..apart from anything else i would post this in the advice section..I usually find the general discussion section is quite harsh and you may get some replies that upset you..the advice section is definately more sympathtic if you really do need to offload your worries.

Feel for you.x
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not advice I'm looking for, just I'm glad 'brother' will get into more trouble instead LOL.

I always put commas when I talk about 'family' because they're insignificant. And this is about my 'brother' Hubby's brothers are much more nicer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    But 'brother' called the police to say Hubby was harassing him.

And 'brother' is correct, as to say Hubby was warning each and every member of staff that 'brother' is a thief and be careful of their stuff. 'brother' has a criminal record as long as my arm and he's 22.
    Unless 'brother' (I'm confused too!) has actually committed some (unreported, workplace etc.) crime, is it REALLY the "job" of your husband to WARN others about him - in advance? If 'brother' has currently broken the law, alert the managers or the police. Surely, it is the job of management to check out prospective employee's records - Presumably, they were satisfied? Otherwise, whatever his "past", this 'brother' might, rather justifiably, claim to be a victim of harassment? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    Chatter... not GD.

Also, although I agree the supermarket should have been told about your brother's criminal record, it is their duty to investigate people, not your husband's.

Going round telling all members of staff and all n'sundry is not the way to do it and at 68 years of age your 'hubby' should know this. Regardless of what your brother has done, your 'hubby' should be ashamed for airing other people's laundry in public, let alone to other store employees.

What a foul and spiteful thing to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    It's not advice I'm looking for, just I'm glad 'brother' will get into more trouble instead LOL.

I always put commas when I talk about 'family' because they're insignificant. And this is about my 'brother' Hubby's brothers are much more nicer.

So you're happy that another human being is going to degrade his life even further, even though he hadn't actually done anything since getting the job at the supermarket, and the only complaint he made was an official one through the police, because and rightly so, your husband was guilty of verbal harrasment and slander?

You sound like a lovely person. Almost as nice as your hubby. :rolleyes:
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nitpick wrote: »
    Unless 'brother' (I'm confused too!) has actually committed some (unreported, workplace etc.) crime, is it REALLY the "job" of your husband to WARN others about him - in advance? If 'brother' has currently broken the law, alert the managers or the police. Surely, it is the job of management to check out prospective employee's records - Presumably, they were satisfied? Otherwise, whatever his "past", this 'brother' might, rather justifiably, claim to be a victim of harassment? ;)

Not sure if you want advice but I agree. I would assume that the supermarket will have done a check on him if he's near money or anything that can be stolen and are well aware of his record but have employed him anyway. Telling people about his record could be construed as harassment. It's also a breach of his privacy whether you like it or not. He could have got the job through a rehabilitation scheme. It also looks petty as he in theory has paid his dues and now free to get on with his life.

For everybodys sake, wash your hands of him, tell your hubby to keep his mouth shut regardless how much he annoys him and live your lives. If he bothers you (as it seems he has in the past) report it to the police, dont get involved.

Just noticed the point about you being glad he'll get in further trouble. Bit spiteful. Perhaps it's better you carry on this feud and ruin everyone's lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    So your brother, despite past problems, has found himself a responsible job and at least tried to do something with his life... yet your husband has taken it upon himself to make his life as difficult as possible sheerly out of spite? Nice...
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    afx237vi wrote: »
    So your brother, despite past problems, has found himself a responsible job and at least tried to do something with his life... yet your husband has taken it upon himself to make his life as difficult as possible sheerly out of spite? Nice...

And apparently seem to be revelling in it. I think the word you're looking for is revolting.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chatter... not GD.

Also, although I agree the supermarket should have been told about your brother's criminal record, it is their duty to investigate people, not your husband's.

Going round telling all members of staff and all n'sundry is not the way to do it and at 68 years of age your 'hubby' should know this. Regardless of what your brother has done, your 'hubby' should be ashamed for airing other people's laundry in public, let alone to other store employees.

What a foul and spiteful thing to do.

I have to agree with this.
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    If your husband has a low opinion of your brother, then why did he want to stir it and try to get someone who is trying to work, lose his job.

How does that benefit you, your daughter or your husband.

If your brother has told the police the truth, but they've found that it is insufficient harrassment for charges, then I can't see how your brother can get into any trouble. If you think someone has committed a crime then you report it to the police. It is the polices job to decide if there is enough evidence.

Be a friend to your husband and tell him to stay out of your brothers business being nasty, vicious and trying to get people put out of work isn't endearing.

Sainsbury's or any other employer are entitled to carry out police checks if they think it's necessary.
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    duffsdad wrote: »
    And apparently seem to be revelling in it. I think the word you're looking for is revolting.

If he was a woman he'd be called a "complete bjtch".

Why are some older folks so nasty?
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which of you would want a criminal who also has a history of harassing you and your family to join your workplace? I don't think anyone would, so I have to wonder what is behind the sudden rush of sympathy the anti-social "brother" on todays forum and the venom directed at the long term victim of harassment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which of you would want a criminal who also has a history of harassing you and your family to join your workplace? I don't think anyone would, so I have to wonder what is behind the sudden rush of sympathy the anti-social "brother" on todays forum and the venom directed at the long term victim of harassment.

He has not joined anyone's workplace. He has got a job at the supermarket the hubby frequents. Seems to me that the husband was very unwise to stir things up however much the brothers have harassed him, as it only gives them an excuse to do more to the family.

But I am glad that he is OK for the OP's sake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP has posted about her family before and they sound horrendous. They have been beastly to her, so on one hand I get why her husband has done what he did. Would I go putting it on DS? Maybe not, but perhaps the anonymity helps.
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    If he was a woman he'd be called a "complete bjtch".

Why are some older folks so nasty?

Nasty older folks were probably nasty younger folk!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has not joined anyone's workplace. He has got a job at the supermarket the hubby frequents. Seems to me that the husband was very unwise to stir things up however much the brothers have harassed him, as it only gives them an excuse to do more to the family.

But I am glad that he is OK for the OP's sake.

Just re-read it and you are right. Maybe the hubby should have kept silent but I still think the result was right as telling the truth is not slander.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just re-read it and you are right. Maybe the hubby should have kept silent but I still think the result was right as telling the truth is not slander.

No, but it can add provocation to an already stressful situation. I can understand the hubby was upset seeing this chap turn up at one of his regular haunts, but surely he realised that bad-mouthing him to the staff there would have repercussions. He has a responsibility to protect his wife and daughter as well as get his own back.
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please read some of the OP's advice threads before judging her too harshly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but it can add provocation to an already stressful situation. I can understand the hubby was upset seeing this chap turn up at one of his regular haunts, but surely he realised that bad-mouthing him to the staff there would have repercussions. He has a responsibility to protect his wife and daughter as well as get his own back.

He also has a responsiblity to teach his daughter how to stand up for herself and not let bullies intimidate her. When you harass someone for years you shouldn't expect them to cower and take it and not bad mouth you! You should be bad mouthed if you are a bully and a thief - if it is even bad mouthing when it is the simple truth that is.