Options

Sing Something Simple

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know Cliff Adams death meant the end of this show, but what happened to the Cliff Adams Singers afterwards? Also were there any singers who became famous through the show? They always seemed to be an enigma to me, even though they sold hundreds of thousands of albums in the seventies.

Comments

• Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't that thing on before the Top 40 if you were listening in the days of Radio 1 & 2 sharing FM frequencies?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Wasn't that thing on before the Top 40 if you were listening in the days of Radio 1 & 2 sharing FM frequencies?

Indeed, as the accordion faded away at the end, you were given a choice of listening.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    They always seemed to be an enigma to me
    More like an enema... :D
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Indeed, as the accordion faded away at the end, you were given a choice of listening.

Back in the days when the Top 40 was actually worth listening to !
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    More like an enema... :D

Too true, my father loved them, I hated them.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Sing Something Simple was the cue to tune to Luxy after the chart show.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too true, my father loved them, I hated them.

They had a ghostly sound to them and were an acquired taste, yet the show only ended after 43 years when the creator died. It's odd that for all they were on the radio every week, no one knew much about them.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Sing Something Simple was the cue to tune to Luxy after the chart show.:D
    That doesn't make sense. Sing something simple was on before the Top 40. Radio 1 had FM up to closedown on a Sunday and Alexis Korner was on afterwards upto about 1983 and then it was Annie Nightingale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SSS seems very quaint now and probably would have very low ratings if it had continued to the present day. Indeed when you look back thirty years to Sundays on Radio 2, you had presenters like Alan Dell and Charlie Chester playing pre war music and brass bands.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Well, because BBC Genome exists I couldn't help myself from checking the scheduling from 1967 onwards :)

From 1967 it was on at 19.00 on Radio 2
    in 1974 it moved to 19.30
    in 1975 it moved to 21.00
    in 1976 it moved to 20.30
    in 1977 it moved to 22.00 (AM only)
    in January 1978 back to 19.00
    in November 1978 it moved to 17.00
    in January 1980 it moved to 16.30
    in May 1981 it moved to 16.00 (String Sound was a 16.30)
    and then from January 1984 until 25 November 2001 it was on at 16.30
    A tribute to Cliff Adams was presented by David Jacobs on 30 December 2001
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to always think of it as the show that was on before the Top 40. I always found, no disrespect to Cliff Adams, him sounding a bit like Donald Pleasence's version of Ernst Blofeld. Yet for a show like this to last well into Radio 2's modernisation period is a bit of a credit to it. Never liked it, never hated it.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    That doesn't make sense. Sing something simple was on before the Top 40. Radio 1 had FM up to closedown on a Sunday and Alexis Korner was on afterwards upto about 1983 and then it was Annie Nightingale.

I am referring to when it started at 7pm.
  • Options
    tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »

I remember it as after the Top 40?,anyway I hated it with a passion,my dad liked it though :).
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    I am referring to when it started at 7pm.
    Sorry I don't remember that. I only remember from early 80's onwards and sing something simple was always on before the Top 40.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I can't think of many pieces of music more awful than when that accordian started up, it was the most dreadfully old fashioned depressing sound to my ears.
  • Options
    tommytemprastommytempras Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    It was a depressing, awful radio show, in my opinion.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to the close harmony vocal group called The Fraser Hayes 4 who appeared on Round the Horne ?

Are they still touring ? :)
  • Options
    logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opening lyrics say it all

Sing something simple
    As cares go by
    Sing something simple
    Just you and I
    We’ll sing the old songs
    like you used to do,
    We’ll sing something simple for you,
    something for you.

Young people have always had 'their' music, but there was also a reservoir of past songs that everyone knew. In the past it was possible for grandma and granddaughter to sing the same song, but for some reason after WWII, in this county generations of young people rebelled against any music before their time. I can recall grandparents and parents all singing along to the songs on, 'Sing Something Simple', while I sulked in the corner waiting for the Top 20. Whose fault was that I wonder?:)
  • Options
    tom558tom558 Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    logjam wrote: »
    The opening lyrics say it all

Young people have always had 'their' music, but there was also a reservoir of past songs that everyone knew. In the past it was possible for grandma and granddaughter to sing the same song, but for some reason after WWII, in this county generations of young people rebelled against any music before their time. I can recall grandparents and parents all singing along to the songs on, 'Sing Something Simple', while I sulked in the corner waiting for the Top 20. Whose fault was that I wonder?:)

I wonder if that works in reverse?
    I am now sadly an old fart :) but I listen and enjoy main stream commercial music stations,the ones that play today's 'pop' music as well as other music content from over the decades.
    The sort of stuff Heart,or Gem play,I don't live only in the past ref my taste in main stream 'pop' music.
    I wonder if others who were young in the 60s agree?.
    I have Splash FM in Worthing on at the moment, on my wi-fi radio love the music mix on there.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    As a young person in the 80's my dad had a SSS record which he taped and played in the car on summer outings. As such it invokes happy memories with me - the warm evenings, rides out to the pub, playing on the grass and home to play in the garden 'till bedtime.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,850
    Forum Member
    Very haunting those voices, the singers toured regularly i believe.
    I used to like Benny Green on a Sunday afternoon, the rest of the output was certainly for a demographic no longer with us
  • Options
    John_ChJohn_Ch Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I too remember this dullfest whilst waiting for the Top 40....how Radio 2 has changed since then. I remember a short lived (though equally grim) replacement in the 80s called 'You can sing the next song'....I think SSS was brought back after a while though
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,850
    Forum Member
    Another torture was waiting for Listen To The Band to end before Midweek Sport on 2 came, typically the last 10 minutes of the first half and all of the second half. International matches got both halves in full - a rare treat!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a small child back in the 60s we would visit my grandparents every Saturday and on the way home in the car there would be Sing Something Simple on the radio and I hated it. It makes me shiver to think about it...even now.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shudders! This is a blast from the past that I'd have rather stayed there.

I remember the opening song from Sing Something Simple, with no joy at all :D

My gran used to love it and I always seemed to be around when she had it on. I think I'm mentally scarred from it! :o