Will they reposition in 2010 as an autumn series?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
Forum Member
✭✭
Many people including Mark Gatiss have said they would prefer the series (and think it would work better ) as a series in the autumn/winter season - and that it would garner more ratings

With the change in filming schedule will the 2010 comeback be in the Autumn schedules or is SCD too important in the winter schedule to be played about with?

6.45-7.30 Dr Who
7.30-8.10 Lottery
8.10-9.00 Casualty

this is just a suggestion please don't all fanboypile'on me

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will ITV have X factor going on in 2010???? That might effect the time or even the decision of putting it on autumn/winter time....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X factor won't last until 2010, even the brand new Beeb show Merlin managed to pull 6m+ ratings when up against ITV's favourite beaten dead donkey. DW is under more threat from BGT to be honest, and with that in its current place, a move to Autumn would be good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The X factor won't last until 2010, even the brand new Beeb show Merlin managed to pull 6m+ ratings when up against ITV's favourite beaten dead donkey. DW is under more threat from BGT to be honest, and with that in its current place, a move to Autumn would be good.

I also thought that DW is quite threatend by BGT as well, hence I assumed would they risk putting it up with X-factor....
    True Merlin got 6.6m, but the X factor did its usual business of 9m....so I don't think it managed to steal audiance as such, and maybe that 6million is the usual DW/RH/Primevel viewer, such as myself....therefore if DW went head to head with X-factor, chances are that it would be around about the same viewing figures that it got against BGT... i could be wrong though, just a theory
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Lots of people V+/Sky+ their Saturday night viewing and so watch both ITV and BBC.

I'm not that fussed about Who being on in the autumn, to be honest. I also want it back on in 2010 as early as possible.

The idea of waiting until September 2010 rather than April . . . . **shivvers**
  • MarkiebMarkieb Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be good to have it on between October and Xmas to make the long dark winter nights more bearable
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't that technically make it a 2 year gap then? Hmmm....

Just a side note, isn't it nice to still see an advert for the Halifax just up there above where I'm typing. Just as long as they still send me the credit card that was apparently waiting for dispatch last week! I want to buy dvd's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    I also thought that DW is quite threatend by BGT as well, hence I assumed would they risk putting it up with X-factor....
    True Merlin got 6.6m, but the X factor did its usual business of 9m....so I don't think it managed to steal audiance as such, and maybe that 6million is the usual DW/RH/Primevel viewer, such as myself....therefore if DW went head to head with X-factor, chances are that it would be around about the same viewing figures that it got against BGT... i could be wrong though, just a theory
    I'm perplexed as to how 6.6m viewers have magicked themselves out of nowhere if none of them came from the XF audience...I suppose that IS the point of the programme though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm perplexed as to how 6.6m viewers have magicked themselves out of nowhere if none of them came from the XF audience...I suppose that IS the point of the programme though...

Well I can't speak for the whole 6 million, but I can classify my self as one of those who has avoided Saturday night TV since end of DW, only to come back for Merlin....and the other reason I suggested that was because even against a live finale of BGT, Doctor Who managed to have around 5/6 million viewers....that is what I really based my theory on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually sick to death of it still being light when Doctor Who is on. One of the reasons I so enjoyed Midnight was because I was out when it was on (only Series 4 episode I missed) and had to watch it on iPlayer when I got back at, well, midnight! I don't know if I'd have found it nearly as atmospheric if watched at 7 with the sunlight blaring in.

It would mean waiting an extra few months, but I really think that winter is when Doctor Who should be watched.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually sick to death of it still being light when Doctor Who is on. One of the reasons I so enjoyed Midnight was because I was out when it was on (only Series 4 episode I missed) and had to watch it on iPlayer when I got back at, well, midnight! I don't know if I'd have found it nearly as atmospheric if watched at 7 with the sunlight blaring in.

It would mean waiting an extra few months, but I really think that winter is when Doctor Who should be watched.

:eek: How the hell did you survive??????? I found it so unerving in the blazing sunlight!
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could

(a) close your curtains

(b) record the episodes and watch them a few hours later
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do many feel that Who would not perform as well in the Autumn or Winter schedule?
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do many feel that Who would not perform as well in the Autumn or Winter schedule?

It certainly wouldn't perform any better.

The BBC have a series that can pull in 10 million viewers on a July evening. They won't be moving it to keep some nostalgic fanboys happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stcoop wrote: »
    It certainly wouldn't perform any better.

The BBC have a series that can pull in 10 million viewers on a July evening. They won't be moving it to keep some nostalgic fanboys happy.

not suggesting they would move it purely to make nostalgic fanboys happy but was asking if people think it would perform as well ratings wise if it were on in the Autumn or Winter.
  • dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where would Strictly fit in though? There is no way the BBC would move that. It raises loads for CIN and is a HUGE hit for the channel. It fits well in the schedule at this time of year leading nicely into Christmas.

If DW was moved, we would have everything at once - at the moment, we have the series a gap and then the Christmas special, a gap and then the next series. This keeps most of us happy. OK things are going to be different for 2009, but that aside; if it moves to the Autumn we have the series , the Christmas special and then nothing for ages!!! :eek: Not good. They wouldn't be able to get the boxset out in time for Christmas either. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when you look at the over all viewing figures for the 4 series so far Doctor Who has pretty much averaged 6 to 8m viewrs per episode. That in todays multi channel choice tv is a very good return and I very much doubt changing the schedual to the autumn/winter won't make much of a difference to the viewing figures.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like Doctor Who on earlier in the year even end of February and beginning of March would be fine, because atleast the first few episodes will be shown when its quite dark out. Is there usually anything good on Saturdays at that time of year? Because moving in a month or two earlier may be good if not. Not as many people would be going out on Saturdays as it wont be as hot, so more people will stay in and watch TV.

I wouldnt want Doctor Who leading up to Christmas. There's so many new shows on I want to watch lol... British and American!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

X Factor has been commisioned through 2010.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Will ITV have X factor going on in 2010???? That might effect the time or even the decision of putting it on autumn/winter time....

I don't think it would affect it much.

There is a tendency for some people to believe that big shows steal all the viewers from the other main rival channel.
    But as has been borne out with recent examples what tends to happen is that neither channel necessarily suffers and both channels get high ratings.

Strictly Come Dancing does well against the X Factor, and last Saturday Merlin did really well for it's opener against the X Factor.

So I believe that although Doctor Who probably wouldn't get the absolute maximum ratings possible it could get if The X Factor wasn't on, I'd guess that it would still do as well as or even better than the ratings it currently achieves in the Spring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markieb wrote: »
    It would be good to have it on between October and Xmas to make the long dark winter nights more bearable

Thing is though that I've seen that first episode of Merlin and I think it's a perfect show to be shown at this time of year leading up to Christmas. I'll stick my neck out and predict that Merlin is going to be a massive success.
    It just has the absolute right feel for this time of year.
    Robin Hood they could just stick in the Spring schedules, but Merlin feels just perfect for the type of show it is and this time of year.

Ironically Merlin seems to have that same kind of feel that Doctor Who used to have when it used to be shown in the Winter.
    So would there be room for Doctor Who if they are showing Merlin in 2010?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it would perform the same as if not better, if you're speaking in reference to The X Factor being on at the same time.

If Strictly Come Dancing can get big ratings then I see no reason why Doctor Who wouldn't.

I've never believed that argument that TV spokespeople trot out when a programme doesn't get the ratings they hoped for.
    "People have more things to do nowadays, DVDs, computer games, internet etc."
    I've never bought that for a minute and it always seems to come across as an excuse when a programme doesn't perform.
    I believe it's a flawed excuse because some programmes do well or better than expected.

I believe that if a programme is good enough then people will watch it, as simple as that.
    I think that sometimes TV spokespeople need to accept that sometimes programmes haven't performed well for the simple reason that in recent years the quality has been lacking in many a case.

I believe that's why Merlin 'magicked' up 6.6m out of apparently nowhere. People just wanted to watch it, as simple as that.
    If that 6.6m people weren't watching in that timeslot before then I'd say it's more to do with the idea that maybe there was nothing on that they fancied watching before.

So I think that Doctor Who would be fine if on at the same time as The X Factor.
    It would certainly have a higher natural audience due to the time of the year, but even if it dropped some viewers due to The X Factor being on I think it would still achieve the same or higher ratings than it does in it's current schedule.

Not many people seem to ask how well The X Factor would do if it was shown in the Spring. That would be interesting to see. Because I believe that part of the X Factor's ratings success is partly due to the time of year it is shown.

So I think any show, if of decent enough quality, would benefit from the Autumn/Winter schedule.
    I can see Doctor Who getting 9m on BBC1 while at the same time The X Factor on ITV also getting around the same figure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Of course there is the possibility of moving the fifth series forward to January 2010. 1970-74 and 1982-1985 series worked this way.

You'd still have your dark evenings...:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Strictly is way to popular to shift at the mo...
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think part of Merlin's success was down to the big advertising campaign. I always kept seeing it in the side of buses!

I wonder how many viewers will return next week for it.
  • dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no way Strictly will be moved - it's for CIN which is in November every year and then we have the Christmas special.

As I mentioned earlier - what would be special about having Doctor Who on Christmas Day if we had the series at this time of year???? It would all come at once! Then nothing for ages.

Also, the boxset! People, me included, get it for Christmas. This wouldn't happen as the whole series would not have been shown. A huge loss of revenue there, plus the toys for the Christmas market. It would all be a bit behind.

I don't see anything wrong with the way things are now. Really what does it matter whether it is light or dark outside!?