Options

anyone else getting sick of people slagging off matt smith?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
Forum Member
seem's that there's them out there who want to slag off Matt Smith who by all accounts is an awesome actor. It's kinda getting to me a bit because we haven't even seen him in action yet, also getting sick of people having a go at moff when he's written some of the best episodes for new who. :mad:

Comments

• Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say 'plenty' myself, there's the odd few who's opinions I've read, here and elsewhere, but they do seem to be a very small minority.
  • Options
    outsideoutside Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    seem's that there's them out there who want to slag off Matt Smith who by all accounts is an awesome actor. It's kinda getting to me a bit because we haven't even seen him in action yet, also getting sick of people having a go at moff when he's written some of the best episodes for new who. :mad:

I'm getting sick of people who just post abusive comments. People like you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    outside wrote: »
    I'm getting sick of people who just post abusive comments. People like you.

when have i posted abusive comments? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    outside might have seen jm at the begin of your username, thought it said jim and jumped to conclusions! hehe
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    Calling someone "a patronising sod" might be deemed by some to be a tad abusive.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member

Your comments to JimRockford aren't exactly reasoned and calm - "i think its been proven that no one gives a rat arse what you think because your a patronising sod". Sticking a smiley on the end doesn't make any difference.

I see Geraniums got there before me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zounds wrote: »
    outside might have seen jm at the begin of your username, thought it said jim and jumped to conclusions! hehe

I didn't jump to any conclusions but I see that the offensive post has been removed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh right - yeah - I hadn't read the previous comments, but even if the offensive one has gone, no doubt 'get your head out of your ar*e' is abusive also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ah fair enough. i wasn't intending to be abusive i was just saying that t me he seemed like he was being patronising that's just how i am. sorry :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I admit, I am getting a bit sick of people slagging off Matt Smith and claiming he'll be a terrible Doctor when he hasn't been seen in action yet, this is just a normal thing.

It was exactly the same when David Tennant took over. It's probably happened in the past when a new actor has taken on the role, although they didn't have the internet to voice their opinions then.

And, I have no doubt it will happen again when Matt leaves and a new actor takes over.

What I'm trying to say is: There's no point getting your knickers in a twist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure he will be fine.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I am fed up with is people like my husband, who has never sat through an episode of Who in his life, saying "he'll never be as good as tennant".

Well how the hell would you know sunshine :mad:
  • Options
    oysterfrondoysterfrond Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    DT was, and remains, a legendary Doctor. But epochs change as they always did, and seeing Matt Smith going through the ch-ch-changes is sure to be amazing. I think he's going to be great: the programme's going to have a different flavour, sure, but I'm confident it'll continue to be as strong as it has been since 05.
  • Options
    reeleyreeley Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    What I am fed up with is people like my husband, who has never sat through an episode of Who in his life, saying "he'll never be as good as tennant".

Well how the hell would you know sunshine :mad:

does your husband know that you are fed up with him? Wow:eek:
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I'm trying to say is: There's no point getting your knickers in a twist.

I think the OP's point is (and I'd agree) that this highly vocal minority are the ones with their knickers in a twist, and the constant wailing and gnashing of teeth after a while begins to really grate on the majority of open minded fans of the show.

I don't know why this only seems to happen with DW, perhaps it's because it's a show that something like three or four generations have grown up with; I suspect (I could be wrong) that most of the more vocal early detractors are fans of Old Who who can't seem to let it go and still forget that it's produced predominantly for children.

That clip that was posted yesterday is a prime example, just a no-context piece of poor quality audio used as a stick to beat the new team with, would never happen on any other show, very strange behaiviour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Umm, his voice on this.

I am The Doctor and you are the DA-A-ALEKS!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alun_vega/3865648374/
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umm, his voice on this.

thats the audio they are talking about that was posted yesterday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Umm, his voice on this.

Not clicking on that as a matter of principle, when the production team is ready to release a trailer, or some preview material I'll lap it up, but I'm not going anywhere near that for the same reason that I refuse to watch pirate films where a camcorder's filmed a cinema screen.

In fact it's worse than that, it's like going to see a version of Jim Cameron's Avatar, only the version you're seeing has been filmed on a mobile phone, and only got to film rehearsals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not clicking on that as a matter of principle, when the production team is ready to release a trailer, or some preview material I'll lap it up, but I'm not going anywhere near that for the same reason that I refuse to watch pirate films where a camcorder's filmed a cinema screen.

In fact it's worse than that, it's like going to see a version of Jim Cameron's Avatar, only the version you're seeing has been filmed on a mobile phone, and only got to film rehearsals.

It's not a film, it's only ten seconds of him talking to Daleks.

It's all in audio
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    He chops heads off well "Now don't get mad,but I think I've just beheaded your detective!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a film, it's only ten seconds of him talking to Daleks.

It's all in audio

Whoooosh!! :p

**EDIT*** Sorry, that wasn't very constructive was it, apologies, what I should have said was: I know it's an audio clip, that's the point, I'm not even going to listen to it because it's just a bit of random audio captured (i'm guessing here) on someone's phone that has no context, may not even be scripted, and may not even be on camera. If you don't want to like Matt Smith I'm sure it's a perfect excuse to tell everyone that he's rubbish. ***EDIT ENDS***
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whoooosh!! :p

**EDIT*** Sorry, that wasn't very constructive was it, apologies, what I should have said was: I know it's an audio clip, that's the point, I'm not even going to listen to it because it's just a bit of random audio captured (i'm guessing here) on someone's phone that has no context, may not even be scripted, and may not even be on camera. If you don't want to like Matt Smith I'm sure it's a perfect excuse to tell everyone that he's rubbish. ***EDIT ENDS***

Well pretty much his acting in this audio clip is rubbish, OVERACTING :sleep:
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Personally, I'm not going to criticise or praise Matt until I've seen him as the Doctor in at least a few episodes. Right now all we have are set photos, and an audio clip which might not even make it into the show - they do film scenes several times you know - to shoot at different angles, or reshoot when someone forgets their lines, etc.
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, skilful manipulation now means we have two threads devoted to a crackly bit of audio...it wouldn't be quite so bad if these people who are determined to rubbish actors before they have any real evidence for their opinion didn't just go quiet when they're proved wrong ("OMG, NOT BILLIE PIPER, NOOOOO!" or even worse "I THINK CATHERINE TATE WILL RUIN THE SHOW FOREVER AND I WILL NEVER WATCH DW EVER AGAIN!) or pretend that they were always in favour of them once they are proven to be good choices.

Still, it is kind of funny to read the level of ignorance people have on what acting means and the processes it involves...a bit like those sweet posts that believe they can influence episodes already in the can because they think they're written the week before their TX date...bless them :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He might prove himself when the episodes air, but until then he's 'Adric' until proven other wise. end of.