Options

The Leveson Inquiry: Culture, Practices & Ethics of the Press, 2012

Comments

• Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From a quck google it appears this charade might be completed by the end of June whereupon hopefully they might move on to making some recommendations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Break time.
    Wonder if they hold their little finger up while drinking tea?
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I don't like Gove's politics but I think he's a pretty impressive peformer...........not only here but on Select committee hearings as well...........

He's didactic for sure...but is he being given an easy ride? ;)
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked his comments about some politicians paying too much attention to newspapers whilst others reacted with insouciance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps they will decide it' s not in the public interest to pursue him like they did today with the policeman who supplied sensitive information to the Guardian journalist. There is no doubt that the information was passed but no action is to be taken through the courts although the policeman is facing disciplinary proceedings.
  • Options
    NosnikraplNosnikrapl Posts: 2,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I liked his comments about some politicians paying too much attention to newspapers whilst others reacted with insouciance.

Gove & Clarke being two of them. That is why the papers get so het up about them!!! The avalanche on Gove about Free schools just seemed to fall away when he made it clear that he wasn't taking any notice! Ken is just Ken!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nosnikrapl wrote: »
    Gove & Clarke being two of them. That is why the papers get so het up about them!!! The avalanche on Gove about Free schools just seemed to fall away when he made it clear that he wasn't taking any notice! Ken is just Ken!

Exactly.:)

Interestingly he was questioned about what constitutes academies and free schools and how they are funded.

I enjoyed listening to Clarke's jazz programmes on Radio 4.
  • Options
    Transient1Transient1 Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they will decide it' s not in the public interest to pursue him like they did today with the policeman who supplied sensitive information to the Guardian journalist. There is no doubt that the information was passed but no action is to be taken through the courts although the policeman is facing disciplinary proceedings.

As they say there is no evidence that money changed hands I wonder why he put himself at risk by doing it? Unless he thought it was in the public interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Transient1 wrote: »
    As they say there is no evidence that money changed hands I wonder why he put himself at risk by doing it? Unless he thought it was in the public interest.

He did it presumably because he assumed that the matter would remain confidential. Journalists never reveal their sources.

Money might have changed hands of course. There is just no evidence of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leveson getting a little shirty with Gove, "I don't need to be told about the importance of free speech, I really don't ......."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did it presumably because he assumed that the matter would remain confidential. Journalists never reveal their sources.

I suppose so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leveson getting a little shirty with Gove, "I don't need to be told about the importance of free speech, I really don't ......."

Perhaps he does, after all he lived in a world far removed from the ordinary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interestingly he was questioned about what constitutes academies and free schools and how they are funded.

Which has got sod all to do with the Leveson Inquiry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Transient1 wrote: »
    I suppose so.

The DPP must be trawling through masses of information similar to this case. I can't see them taking any action against most of those concerned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Which has got sod all to do with the Leveson Inquiry.

I wondered about that. Since Gove obviously practises insouciance with the regard to the press I cannot understand why he has been called as a witness.:D
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I absolutely agree with Brian Leveson on this.

I note, also, that he emphasises the importance of history in these matters.

These problems have been building up for a very long time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DPP must be trawling through masses of information similar to this case. I can't see them taking any action against most of those concerned.

I always thought that in the case of Amelia Hill that they probably looked in to how she was getting scoops that could only have come from a police officer. I don't know though. I was puzzled myself how she got them because she would have to have been crazy to be bribing the police, which is of course illegal, whilst investigating phone hacking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gove is being pompous but quite honestly this inquiry needed someone to go in & challenge. He was the man to do it. It was all going down a single track & sometimes you need someone to be outrageous to at least shake things up a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered about that. Since Gove obviously practises insouciance with the regard to the press I cannot understand why he has been called as a witness.:D

Yes, I note that Gove seems only concerned with politicians' reaction to The Press.

Leveson has brought it back to what, in my opinion, is the more important question, which is the reaction of the public.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do as well. This inquiry was instigated by Gove's boss. He shouldn't be trying to undermine it especially given his closeness to Murdoch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well according to Gove since 19th century & in particular during the inter-war years of 1930's. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I note that Gove seems only concerned with politicians' reaction to The Press.

Leveson has brought it back to what, in my opinion, is the more important question, which is the reaction of the public.

Hardly, the present phase of the inquiry is supposed to be to do with the press and politicians not the public which is why they are calling politicians as witnesses. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Hardly, the present phase of the inquiry is supposed to be to do with the press and politicians not the public which is why they are calling politicians as witnesses. :rolleyes:

It all comes down to the public, though, without whom neither politicians nor the press would exist.
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arselicking drivel from Gove, sucking up to Murdoch and Dacre. He also completely misses the point when he talks about 'freedom to offend', as that's not what the inquiry is about. It's about protecting people from being harassed and smeared and humiliated.
This discussion has been closed.