Options

Is There Only Me Seething About Petrol Prices?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Some info about the destruction of GM EV1 Electric vehicles...

http://ev1-club.power.net/

It's a real shame. Although it looks as though 2011 will (finally) be the year in which major manufacturers launch viable electric vehicles en masse, we can only speculate on how much further forward the technology would have been if the California EV market had continued uninterrupted.

Thanks Cornucopia,

I have bookmarked the page and as I said going to look for the film/docu you mentioned :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :) No.there's no ethanol in our petrol.I think the engine can take about 10% ethanol in the petrol without damaging it.But no one offers this product as far as i'm aware.

I believe out gas in Missouri is 10% ethanol. Other states are different. Ethanol is cheaper, especially since we are quite an agricultural state. Missouri gas doesn't have to have ethanol in it, but gas with ethanol is cheaper.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/12/31/tech/main3658229.shtml
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were watching some old homevideos at the weekend, in one from 1992 my girlfriend was filming me driving, we happened to drive past a BP petrol station and I was shocked to see the price was only 42.5 pence per litre!!

The biggest con ever was changing the cost from per gallon to per litre (slaves to Europe again) a 1 pence per litre rise sounds feasible, but if you convert that to gallons thats a 4.5p rise, that equates to a £1.40 per gallon rise since April 2009!! (on an average petrol car thats costing 3.5p more per mile!!)

Its also strange that we still measure a cars economy in MPG, why not MPL? That'll bring home to people just how much this governments fuel tax rise is costing them! Its a vicious circle as people will start to use their cars less thus HMG will keep piling on the rises to fill the gap.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    keicar wrote: »
    We were watching some old homevideos at the weekend, in one from 1992 my girlfriend was filming me driving, we happened to drive past a BP petrol station and I was shocked to see the price was only 42.5 pence per litre!!

The biggest con ever was changing the cost from per gallon to per litre (slaves to Europe again) a 1 pence per litre rise sounds feasible, but if you convert that to gallons thats a 4.5p rise, that equates to a £1.40 per gallon rise since April 2009!! (on an average petrol car thats costing 3.5p more per mile!!)

Its also strange that we still measure a cars economy in MPG, why not MPL? That'll bring home to people just how much this governments fuel tax rise is costing them! Its a vicious circle as people will start to use their cars less thus HMG will keep piling on the rises to fill the gap.

Do you not like the metric system then?
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Do you not like the metric system then?
    Haha - metric system? What metric system?

We drive miles but walk kilometres. We dive metres into the sea but climb feet up a mountain. We put litres into the car but work out mileage in gallons. We drink pints in a pub but 440ml cans at home. We buy pounds of beef but make recipes using grams...

I don't mind which we use, but ffs - choose one and stick with it! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite agree Nessy

I had to laugh at a recent maths exam which included conversions. Why? If we were meant to change completely to metric so many years ago then why still apply the old imperial system. My belief was that imperial would go straight out of the window.

Anyway to the topic in hand Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad: I hate petrol prices

This is a very clear breakdown of who gets what amount from the pump prices (based on approx £1.08/£1.09)
  • Options
    jarwynjarwyn Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The truth of the matter is that we will all complain and vow to use our car less ... but nothing much will change and before too long we'll be on here complaining about the £2 litre of Petrol ... :(
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately we're still stuck with remnants of the old imperial system because certain sections of the media and society would be screaming blue murder if we switched to measuring road distances in km on signposts, speed limits in km/h, beer in pubs sold in litres (although I'm sure some would love to drink a litre of beer instead of a pint, have you seen how much bigger that is?:D).

I can't wait until the day we go fully metric so we're in line with the rest of the world (well except the US), but I fear we still have a very long wait.:rolleyes:

Anyway, petrol prices are too high but it looks like it's not going to be a big election issue because all three main parties would do exactly the same, after all tax money has to come from somewhere and motorists are seen as an easy target, even though it does cause damage to the economy because high fuel prices push up the costs of just about everything.

Although I do remember a time when we had the most expensive petrol in Europe, but we're now starting to go more in line with most other countries on the continent. It's much cheaper in the US but they don't have a state-funded healthcare system, etc. like we do. I suppose it's only fair that petrol tax is used to treat people that are injured in road accidents, although more should be spent on actually making our roads safer, and improving public transport.
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is seething about petrol prices and of course diesel?

I'm sort of thinking that we are now becoming a country of people who just take it on the chin and think 'Oh well, we have to pay it, let's just get on with it'

I'm walking more now and grumping like hell about the cost of putting fuel in!!!

Am I alone?
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Get a horse instead

Have you seen the price of hay lately ? :eek:
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    Unfortunately we're still stuck with remnants of the old imperial system because certain sections of the media and society would be screaming blue murder if we switched to measuring road distances in km on signposts, speed limits in km/h, beer in pubs sold in litres (although I'm sure some would love to drink a litre of beer instead of a pint, have you seen how much bigger that is?:D).

I can't wait until the day we go fully metric so we're in line with the rest of the world (well except the US), but I fear we still have a very long wait.:rolleyes:

Anyway, petrol prices are too high but it looks like it's not going to be a big election issue because all three main parties would do exactly the same, after all tax money has to come from somewhere and motorists are seen as an easy target, even though it does cause damage to the economy because high fuel prices push up the costs of just about everything.

Although I do remember a time when we had the most expensive petrol in Europe, but we're now starting to go more in line with most other countries on the continent. It's much cheaper in the US but they don't have a state-funded healthcare system, etc. like we do. I suppose it's only fair that petrol tax is used to treat people that are injured in road accidents, although more should be spent on actually making our roads safer, and improving public transport.

Why? What benefits are there to being in line with everyone else? You'll be wishing we drove on the right hand side of the road next?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »

It's all a contradiction and the cost of petrol does not look likely to be an election issue.

If you consider how long ago it was that we were meant to go metric it's been a long time in coming in totality!! 35 to 36 years ago
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Have you seen the price of hay lately ? :eek:

Have you seen the price of horses and I don't mean the odds on the Grand National ;)