Options

What repeats will people want to watch in 30 years time?

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking which shows from now will make popular repeats in 30 years time? I think Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, The Royle Family, will still be popular repeats in 2040, but obviously a lot of other shows like The X Factor and I'm A Celeb aren't really repeatable and will soon get forgotten when they're taken off.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Yea I'd agree with you on Downton, Doctor Who etc. Probably Sherlock; that's shaping up to be a pretty iconic series. Life On Mars/ Ashes to Ashes also I'd say.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The repeats I think will be very limited and many of the repeats we watch today will still be popular, I agree with the above Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, The Royle Family, Life On Mars & Ashes to Ashes . I would add New tricks, Poirot and Miss Marple ( the BBC version) , The Good Life, Prime Suspect series, Trial and Retribution, Wire in the Blood,Heartbeat,The Royal.

But the more reality shows we get the less there will be from this era to repeat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    The repeats I think will be very limited and many of the repeats we watch today will still be popular, I agree with the above Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, The Royle Family, Life On Mars & Ashes to Ashes . I would add New tricks, Poirot and Miss Marple ( the BBC version) , The Good Life, Prime Suspect series, Trial and Retribution, Wire in the Blood,Heartbeat,The Royal.

But the more reality shows we get the less there will be from this era to repeat.

I agree, reality as a format doesn't lend itself to repeats or DVDs and is disposable television. However, I think you'll find on TV Hell features critics in 20 years time sniggering at Big Brother. Did people really watch people asleep every night?
    Yet I can see Downton Abbey, LIfe on Mars, New Tricks, Frost and Poirot doing the rounds on UK Gold for decades to come.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There won't be any repeats in 30 years time.

Every old show still existing will be available on demand.

Tough for Dave.
  • Options
    mbessexmbessex Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the US old American idols are repacked with a bit of new content interviewing contestants and takes up Saturday nights on some stations. Classic Idol!!! Maybe we'll get that on ITV2!!!
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mbessex wrote: »
    In the US old American idols are repacked with a bit of new content interviewing contestants and takes up Saturday nights on some stations. Classic Idol!!! Maybe we'll get that on ITV2!!!

Give me early pop idol repeats over the current x-factor crap any day of the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if Big Brother will get repeated in 20 years time for the irony value, although it would be a huge and time consuming project and most likely most of the old series are in a landfill now.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only Fools and Horses
    Porridge
    Dr Who
    Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version)
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Spooks will be repeated for many years to come.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a good question, requires some thought.

Poirot, Jeeves and Wooster, Fools and Horses, Life on Mars to name just several.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost
    Star Trek
    The Simspions
    Dr Who
    Stargate
    Midsummer Murders
    Murder She Wrote
    Top Gear
    Red Dwarf
    Diagnosis Murder

:)

And Others for shore
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    There won't be any repeats in 30 years time.

Every old show still existing will be available on demand.

Tough for Dave.
    This.
    Poor David :)
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Family
    Outnumbered
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Family
    Outnumbered

Sitcoms such as The IT Crowd, Black Books, The Inbetweeners, Benidorm, Peep Show and the overrated Gavin and Stacey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot the obvious, The Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad.
  • Options
    GraculusGraculus Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think Spooks will be repeated for many years to come.
    You sure? I think Spooks will date rather badly. The plots are based on current or fairly recent news/politics. The technology will look very klunky in a few years time.

But then again, they're still showing the Sweeny. In fact, given the ever expanding number of channels showing old shows, everything suggested will probably still be on.

Alternatively in 30 years time, we won't be watching TV based on schedules like today. All those old shows will be available for on-demand viewing anyway.

The only problem will be that the picture quality will look so appalling compared with what we'll be watching by then, we may not want to view these low-resolution, 2-D shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often wonder if the Coronation St tram crash will be doing the rounds as this was the most important soap moment of this year.
  • Options
    dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I was thinking which shows from now will make popular repeats in 30 years time? I think Doctor Who, Downton Abbey, The Royle Family, will still be popular repeats in 2040, but obviously a lot of other shows like The X Factor and I'm A Celeb aren't really repeatable and will soon get forgotten when they're taken off.

We are Klang from BBC3 in 2009. Dont think that ratings were great and the show was ropey in parts, but it was laugh out loud stuff which I suspect will turn out to be cult viewing and much looked for in years to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poirot

Morse

• Options
    FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Friends:)
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fawlty towers
    miranda
    the simpsons
    family guy
    Top Cat
    the rugrats
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Sitcoms such as The IT Crowd, Black Books, The Inbetweeners, Benidorm, Peep Show and the underrated Gavin and Stacey.

Fixed that for you.

Given some of the crap from the 70s (On the Buses being perhaps the prime example) they'll be a helluva lot of todays programmes still being watched in 40 years time.

If I'm still alive I'm sure I'll still be rewatching The West Wing and many others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    An idiot abroad
    Nighty Night
    Black Adder
  • Options
    currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Good Life and Dads Army.
    I won't be disappointed. I'll laugh. And the BBC will save pennies too.
    Job done!