Why has Scarlett Johansson's career failed to deliver (thus far)?

2»

Comments

• roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,895
    Forum Member
    Well, the OP could have perhaps worded it better. But I know exactly what he's getting at.

Not sure what you mean about Hollywood hype. It's certainly not naive to see an actor choose less meaty roles and point out those roles haven't matched performances of their early career. To me, that's just a simple statement of fact.

I think showing disappointment towards an artist for knowingly not trying to be everything they can be is a fair form of criticism that goes back centuries.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Well, the OP could have perhaps worded it better. But I know exactly what he's getting at.

Agreed. I also know exactly what he's getting at, I just happen to think what he's getting at is ridiculous.
    It's certainly not naive to see an actor choose less meaty roles and point out those roles haven't matched performances of their early career. To me, that's just a simple statement of fact.

It's not naive to observe an actor choose less meaty roles and point out that you are of the opinion those roles haven't matched earlier performances; that's one thing. It's quite another to allow expectation to be influenced by hype and then quantify it in terms of failure. That indeed is naive, it's essentially a failure to manage expectations.
    I think showing disappointment towards an artist for knowingly not trying to be everything they can be is a fair form of criticism that goes back centuries.

Yes, but its something most of us grow out of as we mature.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Heh heh heh.

Regards

Mark
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,895
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Very droll.

But I don't really understand that comment. I'd be genuinely interested to know why you think it's a childish thing.

If anything, isn't it the complete opposite? It takes maturity to study art and performance and come to such conclusions I would have thought.
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    It takes maturity to study art and performance and come to such conclusions I would have thought.
    No, not really. All it depends on is how far up your own backside you are.

Regards

Mark
  • ManchesterlsREDManchesterlsRED Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    No, not really. All it depends on is how far up your own backside you are.

Regards

Mark

:o oops
    Forum Member
    No, you misunderstand. I have regard for everyone, even the plums of this world.

Regards

Mark
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Vicky Christina Barcelona is on my top ten of worst films ever made.

She's absolutely dire in it, it's the type of film that only americans would find "deep".

She's an A lister no one can really call her a failure, she just has a knack to choose terrible roles.
    The Island, anyone?