What can we ban this time? Tom Jones "Delilah"?

Comments

• TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    # I felt the knife in my hand, and she laughed no more#

Those kind of lyrics might have been OK back in the swinging sixties, but not today. It's glamorising murder.

Don't be ridiculous. It's just a ballad, a story told through the medium of music. By your logic any book, tv show or movie that depicts a murder is also "glamourising murder".
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyr wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. It's just a ballad, a story told through the medium of music. By your logic any book, tv show or movie that depicts a murder is also "glamourising murder".

They don't have ballads which depict child murders (thank goodness), but they do have TV programmes about them.

Supposing the anthem contained words about murders of children - would banning that be ridiculous too ?

You know, I'm just wondering how far the envelope can be reasonably pushed in the murder stakes, here. Is talking about the murder of a woman OK because it's a grown woman ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    He doesn't have a point because they are not singing it at women who have been the victims of abuse and mocking them.

He does have a point because there are also women in the crowd who find it offensive. Whether you agree with them or not.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't have ballads which depict child murders

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - 'Song of Joy'.
    We had babies, one, two, three
    We called them Hilda, Hattie and Holly
    They were their mother's children
    Their eyes were bright blue jewels
    And they were quiet as a mouse
    There was no laughter in the house
    No, not from Hilda, Hattie or Holly
    "No wonder", people said, "poor mother Joy's so melancholy"
    Well, one night there came a visitor to our little home
    I was visiting a sick friend
    I was a doctor then
    Joy and the girls were on their own
    La la la la la la la la la la
    La la la la la la la la la la

Joy had been bound with electrical tape
    In her mouth a gag
    She'd been stabbed repeatedly
    And stuffed into a sleeping bag
    In their very cots my girls were robbed of their lives
    Method of murder much the same as my wife's
    Method of murder much the same as my wife's
    It was midnight when I arrived home
    Said to the police on the telephone
    Someone's taken four innocent lives
    They never caught the man
    He's still on the loose
    It seems he has done many many more
    Quotes John Milton on the walls in the victim's blood
    The police are investigating at tremendous cost
    In my house he wrote "his red right hand"
    That, I'm told is from Paradise Lost
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »

How would you feel about that as a ground anthem ?

Try and answer logically without an emotive personal insult thrown in, if you can possibly manage it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would you feel about that as a ground anthem ?

Try and answer logically without an emotive personal insult thrown in, if you can possibly manage it.

It'd never be an anthem to be sung at a match, it's way too slow, gloomy and melancholic for that. If it were to be though, then it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It's just an awesome piece of music, nothing more and nothing less.
  • tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ban all lyrics.

If that doesn't work we could do away with the spoken word.

It's the only way to be sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ban all lyrics.

"do away with"? That sounds awfully like an euphemism for murder to me. Go forth from this place and hang thy head in shame.
  • DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    "do away with"? That sounds awfully like an euphemism for murder to me. Go forth from this place and hang thy head in shame.

'Hang thy head'?

Murderer! :o
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Diabolus wrote: »
    Hang thy head?

Murderer! :o

Thats more sucide.
  • DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats more sucide.

Yeah I know but *suicide encourager!!* didn't have quite the same ring to it. :(
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Diabolus wrote: »
    Yeah I know but *suicide encourager!!* didn't have quite the same ring to it. :(

Jump is a better song for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little perspective I think...

One single politician wants it to be banned at football matches. Which means it will probably come to nothing and will never happen.

Besides - how do you stop hundreds of football fans singing a song anyway?

No, just Welsh rugby matches. You have idiot politicians in all parties.
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ban all lyrics.

And The Shadows are no 1 again!...........:D
  • tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On reflection, having the Shadows blaring out of my radio 24/7 is too high a price to pay.

Can't bear their wordless droning. :o
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On reflection, having the Shadows blaring out of my radio 24/7 is too high a price to pay.

Their 50's/60's classics are great, the slide into musak later on, no thanks.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And The Shadows are no 1 again!...........:D

YAYYYYYYY.

Works for me:D

Oh, and as to the idea Delilah in any way "promotes" or "glorifies" violence against women, that is the most inane, childish drivel I have heard for some time.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Swine!....>:(

Wash thy mouth out with soap blasphemer.........:D
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Geez, seems like that guy would lose his shit completely if he ever listened to an average rap record.

Course, I suppose that's fairly understandable. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Geez, seems like that guy would lose his shit completely if he ever listened to an average rap record.

Course, I suppose that's fairly understandable. :blush:

Got a good mind to tweet him a link to The Anti-Nowhere League's seminal classic, 'So What'. :D
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this would result in the closure of many folk clubs - many traditional songs have hofrrific lyrics and storylines - far 'worse' than Delilah and indeed many rap songs.

eg - Two sisters, a synopsis of the lyrics is
    'Two sisters go down by a body of water, sometimes a river and sometimes the sea. The older one pushes the younger in and refuses to pull her out again; generally the lyrics explicitly state her intent to drown her younger sister. Her motive, when included in the lyrics, is sexual jealousy – in some variants, the sisters are being two-timed by a suitor; in others, the elder sister's affections are not encouraged by the young man. In a few versions, a third sister is mentioned, but plays no significant role in events. In most versions, the older sister is described as dark, while the younger sister is fair.

When the murdered girl's body floats ashore, someone makes a musical instrument out of it, generally a harp or a fiddle, with a frame of bone and the girl's "long yellow hair" (or "golden hair") for strings. The instrument then plays itself and sings about the murder. In some versions, this occurs after the musician has taken it to the family's household, so that the elder sister is publicly revealed (sometimes at her wedding to the murdered girl's suitor) as the murderess.'
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you be cool with a song about killing coppers being played at a rugby or other sports ground ?

Which songs are you thinking of?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He does have a point because there are also women in the crowd who find it offensive. Whether you agree with them or not.

What possible shred of evidence do you have that that claim is true?

I've been to the Millennium Stadium and watched Wales play and I've never come across a single woman who has said she is "offended" by the singing of Delilah.

You have said Delilah endorses murder.

The dictionary definition of endorse in this context is:
    To give approval or sanction to

Perhaps you could point out the precise lyric within the song that says it is acceptable to murder........

In fact it is quite the opposite. The lineForgive me Delilah, I just couldn't take any more, refers to him realising what a terrible thing he has done and is asking her to forgive him, even though it is obviously too late for her to do so.

If the lyrics of the song were a true crime, it is more than likely to man would face a manslaughter charge on the grounds of diminished responsibility. The song doesn't glamorise, or endorse murder at all.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely. He has a strong point.

There are other songs from that sort of mid to late 1960's era which you never hear played any more, such as "Maxwell's silver hammer" by the Beatles, "I'm gonna get me a gun" by Cat Stevens, as well as "Ruby, don't take your love to town" - sure they're all available on you tube, and rightly so, but are kept out of the mainstream media.

Any song which makes murder seem OK as it's seemingly endorsed by a well known star, is dangerous if played deliberately to an audience IMO, not to mention offensive.

I realise there will be those who have a different opinion, some hysterically so. We will have to agree to disagree.

Anyone who takes these songs seriously as making murder okay is already deranged.

We have books, plays, tv shows, films, poems etc etc that all include murder. Should we get rid of the lot?
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song also contains the line "and so before they come to break down the door".

A valuable lesson to all that hear it that murderers will be found, apprehended and brought to trial?