Options

Frenzy on BBC 2 02/01/2015 at 0:05

stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
Forum Member
Seeing as how BBC 2 are showing a lot of Hitchcock films at the moment, I thought that I would mention this one. It's quite interesting, as it sees Hitch back in the UK. It's also much more explicit - being his only film to gain an "18"! - and has mild swearing. It does sort of take some cues from "Peeping Tom" in its aesthetic feel. A good cast as well - Anna Massey, Jon Finch, Barry Foster, Alec McCowen, Vivien Merchant, Billie Whitelaw, Barbara Leigh-Hunt, Bernard Cribbins, Jean Marsh and Clive Swift). The amazing stairwell scene and also the potato truck one - add to the film's appeal.

It's great that Hitchcock made this - and it also had to compete with some heavy hitting films of that year - Cabaret, The Godfather, Deliverance, Sleuth, etc. It showed that Hitch still had some movie making magic left. Especially, after the disappointing Torn Curtain and Topaz.

It's also great that it has a script by Anthony Shaffer(Sleuth and The Wicker Man).

If you have a strong stomach - then I'm sure you'll appreciate Frenzy.

Comments

• Options
    rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    I like this film too but agree you may need a strong stomach to watch it. Especially the rape/murder scene early on in the film. I also agree that it shares some of Peeping Tom's cruelty which possibly explains the casting of Anna Massey. The newly allowed explicitness certainly allows Hitch to give full rein to his misogyny.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely. Lovely. Lovely.
  • Options
    rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Lovely. Lovely. Lovely.

Yeah Barry Foster is great. Much more interesting than Jon Finch.
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched my PVR copy, such a great movie.

So little out on the internet about it, can only find a few YouTube video really (snippets of a making of, the darkly funny Hitch trailer, a few modern reviews etc).

Shame its pretty much a forgotten movie. I only really heard of it about ten years ago.

Brilliant moments through out the movie, visually and sound wise; extremely 70s London setting and "ideas", but in a very interesting way.

Funny too, those dinners.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I think it gets overlooked in Hitchcock's canon - although, it's sort of referred to in cinebuffs circles as "his last great work".

Yeah, there's lots of stuff about the film that makes it standout - it's his only film to get an 18 certificate, the very violent subject matter, the use of humour, Hitchcock returning to the UK, the 1970s London setting(noticed the pre-decimalisation prices), the British character actors used in this film, the superb tracking shot sequence on the stairway, etc.

If you are interested - there is a book released a few years ago called "Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy - The Last Masterpiece". I got it for Xmas a while ago - I still haven't gotten around to reading all of it. It does go into depth about the making of the film.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it, much better than its generally held reputation.

The "continuous" shot down the stairs and outside as Forster does his worst again is prime time Hitch (just a pity the disguised edit is apparent enough (that's the sort of thing modern digital editing should fix).

Oh and the opening scene is darkly hilarious.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frenzy is Hitchcock's last great film, and easily his best after Psycho (although I have a soft spot for Marnie and think Torn Curtain is underrated).

Parts of it are truly shocking and disturbing, but it remains Barry Foster's finest hour. In Peter Ackroyd's new book about Hitchcock, he states Michael Caine was offered the role but turned it down because it was too nasty. Apparently Hitchcock never spoke to Caine again, even when they were in the same restaurant.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a pity Foster is excellent but Caine would have been good as well. He showed a certain flair for dark comedic death in A Shock to the System
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Love this film, probably my favourite Hitchcock film. Michael Caine would of been interesting, but I suppose he didn't want to ruin his reputation as a "good guy" playing a serial killer. Even when he plays bad guys, "Get Carter" etc he is always the anti hero type, never an out and out physco type.