ARCHOS - Which one should i buy?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
Forum Member
✭✭
Recently looked up Archos when it was mentioned on the sky+ forum, now i want one!

I'm confused as to which one to get for a few reasons...
I'm looking at the 604 30Gb(not WiFi) or the newer 605WiFi 30gb/40gb
- They both seem to be reasonably similar in price which doesn't help!

I would mainly want it to transfer stuff from my Sky+ to watch on the way to work, also some DVDs. Maybe the odd DivX file from my PC.

I'm not that bothered about the web browser, i would love this feature if it didn't cost me any extra but i get the feeling it does, plugins or something, and i need to keep costs down!

I would just like to know if any of the features that have been added or taken away from each model affect the things i want it for?

Would i be able to put DVDs on it straight out of the box?

I also read (sky+ forum) that there's a travel adapter for around £7(cables, not dock) that will allow me to record from my sky+ without having to spend £70 on the docking station... is this true?

I would like to spend as little on extras as possible (at first at least!)

Also - not as important but, the metal casing looks nicer on the 604, the 605 seems to look a bit cheaper, anyone seen both?

Is the price of the 604 likely to go down further coming upto christmas, 'cos i have to say, this would definitley sway me - i really shouldn't buy either!!!;)

Thanks for reading my badly composed post!:D
Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natstally wrote: »
    Recently looked up Archos when it was mentioned on the sky+ forum, now i want one!

I'm confused as to which one to get for a few reasons...
    I'm looking at the 604 30Gb(not WiFi) or the newer 605WiFi 30gb/40gb
    - They both seem to be reasonably similar in price which doesn't help!

I would mainly want it to transfer stuff from my Sky+ to watch on the way to work, also some DVDs. Maybe the odd DivX file from my PC.

I'm not that bothered about the web browser, i would love this feature if it didn't cost me any extra but i get the feeling it does, plugins or something, and i need to keep costs down!

I would just like to know if any of the features that have been added or taken away from each model affect the things i want it for?

I also read (sky+ forum) that there's a travel adapter for around £7(cables, not dock) that will allow me to record from my sky+ without having to spend £70 on the docking station... is this true?

I would like to spend as little on extras as possible (at first at least!)

Also - not as important but, the metal casing looks nicer on the 604, the 605 seems to look a bit cheaper, anyone seen both?

Is the price of the 604 likely to go down further coming upto christmas, 'cos i have to say, this would definitley sway me - i really shouldn't buy either!!!;)

Thanks for reading my badly composed post!:D
    Any advice appreciated!

Hey there, I am getting a 504 from pcworld £180 for the 80gb version :D

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1551294097.1192555564@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgfaddmfhfjddecflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=070547&category_oid=

It playsback every format under the sun without any loss of quality when plugged into your tv
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member

Depending on the package you buy, you may be charged extra for the web plugin. Remember, it'll only work where a wireless hotspot is open to you so no use on the train!

Only if you rip the DVD yourself first. There is a plugin that'll play them without ripping (ie. just transfer) but again, it's extra. A non-ripped DVD is a big file!

Dunno about that. As I understand it, you need the dock to make proper use of them to/from a TV.

Also, you don't get a mains charger in the box .... you have to buy it separately. Not an issue you may think? Apparently, USB charging on the Archos units is very slow (approx 10 hours I believe) so you'll probably want to invest in one.

Archos have gone the same way as Apple. They give you very few extras in the box but to make full use of the unit, one or two of them are almost essential.
    It playsback every format under the sun without any loss of quality when plugged into your tv

Not strictly true. It does handle quite a bit out of the box but it won't do DivX/Xvid advanced features, it can't handle AC3 (5.1) sound as standard (you have to buy extra firmware for that), same with straight DVD ports (again, extra firmware) and I'm not sure if it handles subtitle files?

There are also the wierd/obscure formats as well but most folk won't worry about those (Real movie files & Matroska are two that spring to mind).

Still a decent PMP though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sancheeez, thanks a lot for that reply, it seems i'd be better with the 604 non wifi as it's gonna cost more and be reasonably limited for web browsing if i went for the 605wifi.
    Hopefully there will be some offers on them at christmas!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    I have the 80gb 605wifi, it is without a doubt the best media player I have ever bought. It cost me £250 with an additional £60 for the TV docking station, the web access was an additional £20. So in total £340 for a PVR, web browser, Video and music player........bargin. On a practical note the browser is really easy to use, I have installed on a bedroom TV which I now use to pick up e-mail etc without any problems. The only critisism I have is that it is a little big, however given the screen size I don't see how they could have made it much smaller. The TV recording also works like a dream. I showed it to a mate at the weekend he now has a serious case of gadget envy. dont dally buy it!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Iinteresting stuff, I've just discovered this as a possible alternative to a media streamer. Can anyone tell me if they've tried to use it for 4OD or the BBC iPlayer? If it works for these and I can play them via my TV, I'm sold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    not sure about 4od but I am pretty sure that the BBC streamer only works with windows XP or Vista. It'll also be interesting to see whether it works with something like joost. I will have a play over the weekend and let you know.