What is the latest with BBC1 +1, is it still happening ?

Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
Forum Member
Almost twelve months ago the BBC announced it would be launching a +1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24442265 .
Not heard any more on this..

Comments

• EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Almost twelve months ago the BBC announced it would be launching a +1 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24442265 .
    Not heard any more on this..

I would imagine this will have to wait until the BBC Trust has looked into the proposal to make BBC Three internet only and therefore release bandwidth for a part time BBC One+1 on Freeview. As far as I know the Trust hasn't even started the consultation.
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    EEPhil wrote: »
    I would imagine this will have to wait until the BBC Trust has looked into the proposal to make BBC Three internet only and therefore release bandwidth for a part time BBC One+1 on Freeview. As far as I know the Trust hasn't even started the consultation.

Could be by the end of never then..
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing since the BBC trust meeting in may

Item 71 of http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/about/minutes/2014/22_may.pdf

Which includes

. The Trust noted that there was no direct impact between these plans and the Executive’s emerging plans for BBC One +1. The latter would be subject to the necessary regulatory processes once a formal proposal had been submitted to the Trust.
    And

The Trust accepted the recommendations regarding the launch of regional variants on satellite, and asked that the Executive prepares a statement setting out its intentions regarding future plans for HD variants in the Nations and English regions on satellite and DTT. As part of future planning on Nations and Regions strategy the Executive would consider further the options around HD delivery, taking account of technical developments and budget.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    They need to sort out ALL the English regions BBC One HD's

& BBC Two HD in Scotland, Wales & NI 1st.

BBC One +1 is a terrible idea,

as is getting rid of BBC Three & BBC Four.
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

A terrible idea in what way ?
    I like the +1 channels find them handy when I get home from work or if I missed something from earlier .
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    A waste of space given there are two or three other ways of catching up?
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    Nothing since the BBC trust meeting in may

Item 71 of http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/about/minutes/2014/22_may.pdf

Which includes

Thanks for that link. It would be intriguing to know what plans were outlined by the Director, Strategy and Digital for the introduction of BBC One and BBC Two HD variants for Nations and Regions.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought BBC4 was safe for the moment if the plans to move BBC3 to internet only go ahead?

I don't understand how moving BBC3 to internet only will save money if they then broadcast a pretty pointless channel like BBC1+1. Are they making alterations to BBC3 other than just moving it to internet only?
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    A waste of space given there are two or three other ways of catching up?
    Not with my present equipment there isn't. :(
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »

With a £10 NOW TV box there is:)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Bizman wrote: »
    The very fact you were able to post that proves you wrong.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    The very fact you were able to post that proves you wrong.
    Not entirely, my broadband connection is too slow and my PC is a netbook with a small 10" screen. It is also slow and unable to show u-tube videos smoothly.
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    I thought BBC4 was safe for the moment if the plans to move BBC3 to internet only go ahead?

I don't understand how moving BBC3 to internet only will save money if they then broadcast a pretty pointless channel like BBC1+1. Are they making alterations to BBC3 other than just moving it to internet only?

I'm sure there is a budget cut to BBC3 and the "rights" costs to anything on BBC1+1 will be minimal. However, I would argue that making BBC3 internet only is not providing the channel in a platform neutral way and is discriminating against people without fast broadband. If the Trust thinks the same - it may never happen. Also, it is possible that the Trust might not approve a +1 channel.

BBC4 is supposed to be safe and has recently had its service licence updated
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no news on the HD regions either. It is now 14 months since it was first prpposed.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    jimbo wrote: »
    Still no news on the HD regions either. It is now 14 months since it was first prpposed.

Hoping for this but the BBC don't look bothered.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd get on with it, it's annoying having ITV+1, Channel 4+1 & Channel 5+1 but not getting it on BBC ONE or BBC TWO.

+1's although often derided on here, are great for casual viewing, because they give an effective second choice when you're flicking through on any channel that has one, they are even useful from a recording point of view, not just because you might already be recording 2 things (bit of a telly addict if you were I guess) but because you might be flicking through and notice something good on that's already started, so you can then choose to view/record it on the +1 channel, I've done that many times (too bad though if you tune to something already on a +1 channel).

Will be great to have a +1 for BBC ONE if they can ever get round their infernal bloody politics that don't seem to hinder commercial channels of course to launch the bloody thing, and I would rather they did it but also left BBC THREE as it is too!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping for this but the BBC don't look bothered.

They probably have higher priorities to think about, and more deserving projects to spend the money on.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    It won't. Streaming online will cost more than conventional broadcast, and still even with cuts elsewhere (radio so far and news) it will leave the BBC well short if its £100m savings plan, even if, as I suspect, all young adult PSB content is completely abolished, as it looks the BBC will do, citing precedent with BBC Switch. The other three BBC channels are safe, but with the chasm to be filled, there'll have to be another supreme sacrifice elsewhere, probably in the BBC's remaining young adult PSB output - Radio 1 and 1Xtra.

The cuts to BBC Three to launch BBC One+1 is looking less like cost cutting and more ideological to make the BBC irrelevant to adults under 35.

At a time where across the Irish Sea, Irish PSB RTÉ is investing and expanding in programming for young adults and teenagers on a broadcast channel. BBC take note.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    A terrible idea in what way ?
    I like the +1 channels find them handy when I get home from work or if I missed something from earlier .

+1's don't really help too much - something like 4seven or 5+24 are much better ideas - giving you an opportunity to catch up on something you found out about only after broadcast rather than just rebroadcasting the same thing 60 minutes later - the lack of repeats across the BBC (especially within a week of a broadcast) is rather irritating.

That being said if BBC Three moving online only is deemed viable then what on earth is the justification for putting BBC ONE +1 on Freeview - if BBC Three is all on-demand why on earth isn't on-demand good enough for BBC ONE?

All that moving BBC Three online only will achieve is the eventual demise of BBC TV - as a child you'll be captured with CBBC and Cbeebies but as you get older what is there for you apart from channels where the average audience age is 55+? You'll migrate to commercial TV and see the BBC as completely irrelevant.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    They probably have higher priorities to think about, and more deserving projects to spend the money on.

No. It remains under consideration. This from the BBC Trust minutes for 22 May 2014 referred to in earlier posts:-

HD ROADMAP FOR NATIONS AND REGIONS AND PROPOSAL FOR BBC ONE + 1
    The Director, Strategy & Digital outlined the BBC’s plans for national and regional variants on BBC One and BBC Two HD.
    The Trust noted that there was no direct impact between these plans and the Executive’s emerging plans for BBC One +1. The latter would be subject to the necessary regulatory processes once a formal proposal had been submitted to the Trust.
    The Trust welcomed the decision to continue broadcasting BBC Two in SD with national variants in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, rather than removing these from satellite as had been proposed as part of the Delivering Quality First strategy.
    The Trust discussed options for adding the full set of regional variants in England on BBC One HD, noting the costs and likely timelines for the various different platforms.
    The Trust accepted the recommendations regarding the launch of regional variants on satellite, and asked that the Executive prepares a statement setting out its intentions regarding future plans for HD variants in the Nations and English regions on satellite and DTT. As part of future planning on Nations and Regions strategy the Executive would consider further the options around HD delivery, taking account of technical developments and budget.

So the ball is back with the Executive. I suspect any formal announcement has been deferred pending the Scottish Referendum being done and dusted.