No Adele album Until 2015 Says XL Recordings

NScotNScot Posts: 193
Forum Member
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/09/no-new-adele-album-until-at-least-2015/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&smid=tw-nytimes&_r=1&
Adele fans will have to wait until at least next year for a new album, according to a statement from her label tucked in a new financial report.

Speculation has been running high for months that Adele — whose 2011 album “21” sold more than 25 million copies around the world, defying seemingly every rule of the depressed modern music business — might release a new record this year. In May, on the eve of her 26th birthday, Adele sent a cryptic message on Twitter saying, “Bye bye 25… See you again later in the year,” which some fans interpreted as indicating a new album by year’s end. Some of her previous collaborators, like the songwriter and producer Ryan Tedder, have also said they are working on new music with her. But nothing new has been confirmed.

The most definitive statement so far about Adele’s plans is in the latest annual financial report by Adele’s label, XL Recordings, which was filed on Thursday with regulators in Britain, where the company is based. Buried alongside the news that XL — whose other acts include Vampire Weekend and the xx — made $15 million in net profit on almost $61 million in revenue in 2013, was the following sentence:

“There will not be a further new release by Adele during 2014 and consequently there will be a fall in XL’s turnover and profits.”

The lack of an Adele album will have consequences for other companies as well. Columbia Records, a unit of Sony Music Entertainment, has distributed her last two albums in the United States and throughout Latin America, and music sales over all have been on decline. Only five albums released in the last year have sold more than one million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and only one of them — Disney’s “Frozen” soundtrack” — has sold more than 3 million.

A spokeswoman for the label declined further comment. XL is half-owned by Beggars Group, a mini-conglomerate of independent labels.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assumed a 2015 was always the plan anyway
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hope when its released it bombs, 4 years away without a release, once you get off the treadmill you don't deserve to get back on it
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    i hope when its released it bombs, 4 years away without a release, once you get off the treadmill you don't deserve to get back on it

Tell that to David Bowie, Kate Bush...

I find this view completely depressing. I'd rather an artist hone and craft their album rather than regurgitating any old stuff just to make sure it's out whilst their still in the limelight. This "factory line" approach to music is sad and probably stifles creativity in the hope of a few more pounds.

I think Adele (and/or her label) can afford to take her time with the next album - the success of 19 and 21 has ensured it. Adele has enough gravitas now that she could wait years longer and people will still be interested in her and her music.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expected 2015 anyway.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Harsh

I don't see the problem with 4 years away

If she had returned with a follow up two years ago, people would of moaned it would be too soon and rushed.

Plus she has a baby boy and wants to be there for those early years.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Hopefully this is a typo and they mean 2051.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    after her huge success i'm pleased to see she hasnt sold out and is staying with an independent label. If she was signed to a major she would of had a greatest hits album out by now.seems they are already pressuring her, but she doesnt have to buck to their demands.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    I assumed a 2015 was always the plan anyway

Me too.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted this asap but if it's going to be early 2015 then that's fine. A great album is never late and all. Skyfall kept her on the radio last year but it's time for a new single, I hope we get that in time for a performance at the Brits and/or Grammys.
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought February 2015 was pretty much confirmed anyway.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Total nonsense. Some of the biggest artists in the world release albums at such intervals.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member

I take it an artist like Rihanna who churns out album after album with very little artistic difference between each is your kinda singer?

Nah. Your policy is reductive and cynical. By your reckoning, albums by the likes of Kate Bush, Led Zep and David Bowie would flop simply because they took their time about things?
  • James_Walker2James_Walker2 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I adore her and really looking forward to this. Didn't she state that this one would be upbeat and postive? Either way, it'll sell like hotcakes.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »

I find this view completely depressing. I'd rather an artist hone and craft their album rather than regurgitating any old stuff just to make sure it's out whilst their still in the limelight. This "factory line" approach to music is sad and probably stifles creativity in the hope of a few more pounds.

I think Adele (and/or her label) can afford to take her time with the next album - the success of 19 and 21 has ensured it. Adele has enough gravitas now that she could wait years longer and people will still be interested in her and her music.

Kate Bush and David Bowie have undeniable talent though. Both have a proven track record of pushing musical boundaries and producing innovative and inspiring music which is something that Adele has never and will never do. Adele produces safe, Tesco-friendly music - she is basically on a par with Susan Boyle..
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore her and really looking forward to this. Didn't she state that this one would be upbeat and postive? Either way, it'll sell like hotcakes.

Nothing is ever certain.
    Mika & Duffy both had huge albums WW followed by albums that failed, and I think that they didn't wait for as long as Adele to release their follow-ups (though I am not certain).
    I know that 21's success is probably bigger than both those other singers... At least all the talk about the album release date means that people are still interested (although there was a lot of talk about Gaga during the release of Artpop, but it didn't lead to amazing sales).
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sony are dying to get there claws on her.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/adele-talks-sign-80million-record-4423007
    she's not going anywhere.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's under a lot of pressure. 21 took the world by storm, it's difficult to live up to such a huge success.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floog wrote: »
    Kate Bush and David Bowie have undeniable talent though. Both have a proven track record of pushing musical boundaries and producing innovative and inspiring music which is something that Adele has never and will never do. Adele produces safe, Tesco-friendly music - she is basically on a par with Susan Boyle..

WTF, you could say the same about Amy Winehouse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    She's under a lot of pressure. 21 took the world by storm, it's difficult to live up to such a huge success.

Me thinks, the only pressure is most likely the stadium tour. I bet if this is true, then the Sony suits have already heard the upcoming album and they think it's worth it.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the internet phrase is lol. Pur-lease Adele like Susan Boyle?!?!? Has Susan Boyle played a role in writing her own music then? Last time I looked it was covers...

I'm sick to death of this mentality in this country that if someone sells a lot of records it automatically makes them bland and safe. Sometimes people actually sell a lot of records because they are good at what they do you know. God bless Adele for doing so in an age when piracy has ruined the sales of everyone else.

But if this rumours of $80million deals to take her to Sony are true I don't think Adele will be too bothered either way what people on web forums think of her music!
  • James_Walker2James_Walker2 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »
    sony are dying to get there claws on her.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/adele-talks-sign-80million-record-4423007
    she's not going anywhere.

Isn't Sony her label in the USA? Those guys must've heard the new album so it must be bloody good for them to offer that amount to break her contract with XL.
  • shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XLs report to stock holders sounds like a breakup to me. No where do they mention anticipating future gains with a new Adele release. And XL will continue to achieve success with other artists." is a really interesting way to phrase things. So Sony hears the new album and makes a play of 128m? It's got to be damn good. Or maybe they haven't heard anything and just know that most everything else on the radio sucks. If it means she tours more and has a bigger presence during promotion, great. Otherwise, it's just another delay in a long wait.
  • shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick word about the Susan Boyle comparison.
    Susan Boyle was more a novelty than anything else. She got her break on a game show. She had never performed live, had never written a song, never played an instrument, had never made a living as a musician. Her subsequent albums have sold far less than the first (what were the numbers of the last album? Super low. It didn't even peak in the top ten). She freaking has two duets with Donny Osmond on that last album for gawd's sake.
    So how are they alike? Cos they were on the charts the same week once? Cos they are not dressing sexy to sell music? Wtf is it? cos I just don't get it.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    A quick word about the Susan Boyle comparison.
    Susan Boyle was more a novelty than anything else. She got her break on a game show. She had never performed live, had never written a song, never played an instrument, had never made a living as a musician. Her subsequent albums have sold far less than the first (what were the numbers of the last album? Super low. It didn't even peak in the top ten). She freaking has two duets with Donny Osmond on that last album for gawd's sake.
    So how are they alike? Cos they were on the charts the same week once? Cos they are not dressing sexy to sell music? Wtf is it? cos I just don't get it.

Bland frumps?

Adele writes her own songs? Whoop-de-doo. Jeffrey Archer writes all his own books.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »

Bowie released 13 albums in 11 years between 69 - 80.