Options

Newsnight

sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are they really going to talk about Scotland for the entire show every day until the election!?.

It really is a media bubble, i believe most people in England couldn't give a fig what happens.

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandstone wrote: »
    Are they really going to talk about Scotland for the entire show every day until the election!?.

It really is a media bubble, i believe most people in England couldn't give a fig what happens.
    Perhaps if more people in England (and Wales and N. Ireland) actually listened to the news reports, and read the newspapers, they would start to understand why they should "give a fig".
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You do realise it will affect everyone or do you think they will just go and your life will continue as normal, that we won't lose a significant amount of tax brought in by the Scots, that more money will have to found to fund the NHS, benefits, etc.

Or do you live in some dreamland that you can somehow bypass this?
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Kirsty Wark allowed to present anything, with all her slurring/missing words.
    ie "The situation in Iraq" becomes "The sitiniraq". not just once, but continually.?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Why is Kirsty Wark allowed to present anything, with all her slurring/missing words.
    ie "The situation in Irag" becomes "The sitinirag". not just once, but continually.?

Irag???
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they really going to talk about Scotland for the entire show every day until the election!?..
    It's still the silly season. At least the Scottish thing is local news, better that than some trial in a country thousands of miles away that has no british angle whatsoever.

As for giving a fig: why *should* anyone outside Scotland feel involved in the run up to someone else's local vote? It's not as if there's anything we can do to affect the outcome. So there's little for us bystanders to worry or care about until the result is announced. That's when the fun starts - or not :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    You do realise it will affect everyone or do you think they will just go and your life will continue as normal, that we won't lose a significant amount of tax brought in by the Scots, that more money will have to found to fund the NHS, benefits, etc.

I really do think life will continue as normal for most people.
    petely wrote: »
    It's still the silly season. At least the Scottish thing is local news, better that than some trial in a country thousands of miles away that has no british angle whatsoever.

I don't mid them talking about it a bit but i'd like a variety of news topics.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the episode on Monday just gone that focused entirely on the referendum was a bit over the top. You'd expect such comprehensive coverage on the day of the referendum but not 10 days before.

Aside from that, I feel the recent news coverage as a whole (not only Newsnight) has been well measured.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mid them talking about it a bit but i'd like a variety of news topics.
    They did last night (thu).
    Apart from the stuff about scotland there was Pistorius, Obama going to bomb some more people and a guy going back to africa to try and catch ebola again :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arggg the onslaught continues.
  • Options
    beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Do what I do....just keep complaining!
    I've given up watching the first 15 minutes for the news just because they talk about all this dribble!
    BUT be careful what you wish for.....once its over, they are going to go full pelt at the general election for May!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beaky29 wrote: »
    Do what I do....just keep complaining!
    I've given up watching the first 15 minutes for the news just because they talk about all this dribble!
    BUT be careful what you wish for.....once its over, they are going to go full pelt at the general election for May!

If you though we had a lot of coverage of the Scotland debate, wait until the US 2016 elections start, probably about February 2015.
  • Options
    joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much as I like Evan and some of the others I really miss Paxo.
    Met Opera Director Peter Gelb in his Newsnight interview about the controversy around John Adams' "The Death of Klinghoffer," a 1991 opera about the 1985 hijacking of the Achille Lauro cruise ship by Palestinian militants, and the subsequent killing of disabled American Jewish passenger Leon Klinghoffer.
    Gelb stating that he believed that in general terrorists don't attend the opera - what an amazingly elitest viewpoint.
    I'm sure Jeremy would have reminded Mr Gelb of at least a few troublesome individuals known to be rather fond of Wagner.
    The current presenters are too polite !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think i'm going off Newsnight, last few weeks don't have much interest in it for me.