Options

Is it natural Justice to slander the Dead without reasonable proof?

bethwaddelbethwaddel Posts: 295
Forum Member
We live in a society that looks to see worse in people, that sells papers and gets TV ratings, based on rumour, innuendo and jealousy, do people feel comfortable with this?

Comments

• Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a vague OP this. Is it a Jimmy Saville reference?
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Natural justice??
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    im not sure what that has to do with dead people and natural justice to be honest it sounds like youre mixing metaphors.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    im not sure what that has to do with dead people and natural justice to be honest it sounds like youre mixing metaphors.

Where are the metaphors ? I don't see any.

The Jimmy Savile programme has not even been aired yet. I understand that he had an injunction of some sort in place so maybe that constrained some people from making complaints against him while he was alive.

It would have been much better to have taken action against him when he was alive, nevertheless if the allegations can be substantiated then they should be made public, as should the details of any people involved in shielding him.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    It would have been much better to have taken action against him when he was alive,
    What makes me sick is the 'I knew but didn't say' or 'it was an open secret' comments from celebrities. Their excuse was that Stoke Mandeville etc would suffer from a drop in fundraising. No reason not to do anything imo.
    And no reason for his alleged victims not to complain/report it. No injunction would have protected him.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Natural justice??

There's no closure, so where's the justice?

Unless you consider people saying to you "Yeah, right. Sure (s)he did" as closure.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The Jimmy Savile programme has not even been aired yet. I understand that he had an injunction of some sort in place so maybe that constrained some people from making complaints against him while he was alive.

It would have been much better to have taken action against him when he was alive, nevertheless if the allegations can be substantiated then they should be made public, as should the details of any people involved in shielding him.

I dont disagree, i agree if hes done something wrong it should come out he shouldnt be protected because hes a celeb and those who let him knowingly continue should be worried as well.

Mixing metaphors
    A mixed metaphor is one that leaps from one identification to a second identification inconsistent with the first

Natural justice/slandering the dead, with no connection??
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the evidence would need to be considered by a court before slander can be proven. Up till that point its just rumour
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know there's a difference between libel and slander but there's an old journalists' saying that the former is impossible to commit on the dead.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One of them tried - he was arrested in 2007, but as the incident happened so long ago there's no evidence.
    Another of the girls accused him at the time and was put into solitary for days for telling lies (she was in a children's home which JS regularly visited).
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do we know what proof there is until it is presented to us?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Isn't accusing rape victims of slander, well, slanderous?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I have bowed out of the JS thread in Showbiz.

All I will say is that I am not prepared to make a judgement based on a TV programme, which has been made with the intent of making a profit and which i feel will not be impartial and will probably be bias.

If they were to hold a proper independent investigation I would give it more consideration but I refuse to take everything in this programme as the gospel truth.

I am not ruling out he could have done these things but I will also not think beyond all reasonable doubt he did, because of one TV programme where the person in question has no right to reply.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes me sick is the 'I knew but didn't say' or 'it was an open secret' comments from celebrities. Their excuse was that Stoke Mandeville etc would suffer from a drop in fundraising. No reason not to do anything imo.
    And no reason for his alleged victims not to complain/report it. No injunction would have protected him.
    Unfortunately I think that's exactly what it is. The truth more likely is they simply didn't want the hassle of having to possibly testify and face harassment from Savile's more shady connections (apparently a reporter was beaten up who tried to investigate him), as well as on a more pathetic level have the BBC be tarnished.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I have bowed out of the JS thread in Showbiz.

All I will say is that I am not prepared to make a judgement based on a TV programme, which has been made with the intent of making a profit and which i feel will not be impartial and will probably be bias.
    Sorry but you are jumping on people for making judgements and there are you making your own. If the investigation on BBC Newsnight had been shown would that have also been for money? ITV are just showing something that the BBC would not because it had a vested interest in protecting its own reputation.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand that he had an injunction of some sort in place so maybe that constrained some people from making complaints against him while he was alive.

Has anybody yet come up with evidence that there actually was an injunction? (not that one would have prevented a criminal complaint being made anyway).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Sorry but you are jumping on people for making judgements and there are you making your own. If the investigation on BBC Newsnight had been shown would that have also been for money? ITV are just showing something that the BBC would not because it had a vested interest in protecting its own reputation.

I am saying I will not make a judgement as I do not trust the evidence is giving me an impartial insight. You can think what you want, that is your right.

It seems people want me to take this programme as gospel, why should I?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am saying I will not make a judgement as I do not trust the evidence is giving me an impartial insight.
    So would you have trusted the investigation on BBC Newsnight, which clearly could not have been for money?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So would you have trusted the investigation on BBC Newsnight, which clearly could not have been for money?

No certainly not as they could have an agenda (and probably would), the only thing I would trust is a legal investigation with a prosecution and a defence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately I think that's exactly what it is. The truth more likely is they simply didn't want the hassle of having to possibly testify and face harassment from Savile's more shady connections (apparently a reporter was beaten up who tried to investigate him), as well as on a more pathetic level have the BBC be tarnished.
    Actually it's worse although Gambaccini perhaps didn't realize the implications of what he was saying when he said this:

" 'You just didn’t mess with Jim. He was the governor, because after all he had been the first great club DJ, he had been the originator of Top Of The Pops and you just let him have his turf."

So basically an admission there was an element amongst some, that he was respected and so people turned a blind eye to what he was doing because of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A lady who worked for Sir Jimmy, a PA, who did his cleaning and was close to him for many years, has came out to say these allegations are untrue, she is no fan, she is intelligent, yes he was difficult, a awkward so and so, which she said he was, but she was quite intent, she could not imagine what was alleged now against him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bethwaddel wrote: »
    A lady who worked for Sir Jimmy, a PA, who did his cleaning and was close to him for many years, has came out to say these allegations are untrue, she is no fan, she is intelligent, yes he was difficult, a awkward so and so, which she said he was, but she was quite intent, she could not imagine what was alleged now against him.

Im not sure how she would know, people dont usually do this on their own doorsteps with witnesses do they?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    bethwaddel wrote: »

Former PA isn't comfortable with the idea that she spent years working for a sex offender shocker.

Next, denial isn't a river in Egypt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Former PA isn't comfortable with the idea that she spent years working for a sex offender shocker.

Next, denial isn't a river in Egypt.
    True, but why then not shut up, she seems genuine in what she was saying.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, he was still alive when the makers of the TV programme started their investigation, and died just before they interviewed the first (alleged) victim.

These are allegations that have to be taken seriously, always, whether the perpetrator is dead or alive. The women's stories corroborate eachother, apparently, and at the time they were interviewed none of them had heard any of the other women's stories.