Options

Great Canal Journeys

PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone catch this the other day ? It was on More4 I think but it was advertised quite heavily.

It 'stars' Timothy West and Prunella Scales on a long boat trip along the canals and it was a wonderful show. It has really made me want to go to Bath as the scenery was stunning.

I think it made it more poignant as Prunella has started suffering from mild Altzeimers and she forgets a little. They have enjoyed boat trips for 40 odd years and used to rush off to their boat whenever they could. But its proving a little harder now and at one stage Prunella said on the boat that she had no idea where they were and why they were going, but she was just enjoying the ride.

The love between them was lovely.

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started to watch this but I gave up with it. Same as I did after a bit, with "the other Timothy" and his barge trip around Britain.

It seems that they can never stop, "acting."

I quite like Timothy West as an actor, I've mentioned before that the series, "Bedtime" he maid with Sheila Hancock, would be well worth seeing again.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it and must say really enjoyed it - showed off the canal and area well I thought.

Looking forward to the others in the series, and think TW & PS are both good in it.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was excellent.A bit like Michael Portillo's railways programme,but on canals.Lovely scenery,and a lovely couple.It held my interest from start to finish.
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only just caught up with this and have really enjoyed it.

As someone else pointed out, the love between them is charming. I loved the bit where Prunella went off and had her hair "set" and Timothy liked it.

I could watch stuff like this all the time.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Did anyone catch this the other day ? It was on More4 I think but it was advertised quite heavily.

It 'stars' Timothy West and Prunella Scales on a long boat trip along the canals and it was a wonderful show. It has really made me want to go to Bath as the scenery was stunning.

I think it made it more poignant as Prunella has started suffering from mild Altzeimers and she forgets a little. They have enjoyed boat trips for 40 odd years and used to rush off to their boat whenever they could. But its proving a little harder now and at one stage Prunella said on the boat that she had no idea where they were and why they were going, but she was just enjoying the ride.

The love between them was lovely.

I absolutely loved it and I can't wait to see the other 2 - specially as the delectable Sam will be joining them! lol

I used to watch a programme Tim hosted and narrated years ago called Waterworld, about canal life. Their boat was on one of the episodes. Sam was using it cos he was appearing in a theatre nearby.
    Tim has such a lovely talking voice and seems lovely all round.
    It was nice to see him and Pru together for once as well.
    I really loved the whole show. I'm recording them onto DVD's to keep them. I hope they bring the series out on DVD.

And I disagree Tim was always 'acting'. He was just being himself, but he's very good at presenting programmes on a canal!
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Enjoying these immensely.

Did the Leeds - Liverpool Canal a few years back with friends. Slow progress but very relaxing. Went through a tunnel that took 20 minutes which was long enough for me. Can't imagine doing 3 hours worth.

Found I had muscles I didn't know I had when doing the look gates. Fortunately there were five of us on the boat so could share the work out.

Wish I'd known about their love of canal boats. Would have had something to chat about when I met them a couple of years back.

Shame about Prunella's illness. Hopefully it won't get worse.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im amazed no one shouted "Basillllll"!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is now one of the highlights of the week for me. I love being able to sit down with a mug of tea and enjoy the scenery. Its a little gem, and its a shame obviously more people aren't watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Im amazed no one shouted "Basillllll"!

Pru says it herself in one of the episodes. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Enjoying these immensely.

Did the Leeds - Liverpool Canal a few years back with friends. Slow progress but very relaxing. Went through a tunnel that took 20 minutes which was long enough for me. Can't imagine doing 3 hours worth.

Found I had muscles I didn't know I had when doing the look gates. Fortunately there were five of us on the boat so could share the work out.

Wish I'd known about their love of canal boats. Would have had something to chat about when I met them a couple of years back.

Shame about Prunella's illness. Hopefully it won't get worse.

If you'd ever watched Waterworld you'd know about it. That programme was from 2003. Tim was always on a barge, hosting the show and narrating it. I discovered it on - ha! - the Discovery Channel years ago and taped all those I saw. I really enjoyed them.
    He mentions the love of canal boats on that, and they showed their own boat moored in Oxford, that in one episode Sam used when he was in a play nearby. He mentioned the childhood holidays spent on the canals.

I love this series! They seem like a lovely family as well.
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the first one last week but missed yesterday's.
    Is it repeated?
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really enjoyed this programme so far. Find the slow pace of canal boating both soothing and inspiring. But the star of the show has to be the love between them, I find it quite moving and can only hope that when I'm in my 80's my life is filled with as much fun and tenderness as their's is.

And yes, Sam is hot!
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    This show is now one of the highlights of the week for me. I love being able to sit down with a mug of tea and enjoy the scenery. Its a little gem, and its a shame obviously more people aren't watching.
    It is for me too - the weather has been good for them, which helps - it all looks stunning, but that Deep Lock this week, the Tuel Lane, looked scary as did the Standedge Tunnel.

A Gem of a Series.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    elfcurry wrote: »
    Is it repeated?

Saturday night 6.50pm.

I recorded that one last week because the V+ cut off the end of the programme on Monday!
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely gentle series, they seem like a really wonderful couple, and my goodness the countryside looks amazing.

However……I found myself holding my breath on far too many occasions as a couple in their EIGHTIES and one with a degree of Alzheimers were let loose on a canal, for a great deal of the time on their own.

I couldn't understand how their son just sauntered off at the end of his day with them and never glanced over his shoulder. There is no way, and I don't care how many years experience they have under their belt, that I would walk off if that was my elderly parents !! My nerves would be shot. But then, daughters think that way, sons just bugger off and expect someone else to be responsible .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    conchie wrote: »
    Lovely gentle series, they seem like a really wonderful couple, and my goodness the countryside looks amazing.

However……I found myself holding my breath on far too many occasions as a couple in their EIGHTIES and one with a degree of Alzheimers were let loose on a canal, for a great deal of the time on their own.

I couldn't understand how their son just sauntered off at the end of his day with them and never glanced over his shoulder. There is no way, and I don't care how many years experience they have under their belt, that I would walk off if that was my elderly parents !! My nerves would be shot. But then, daughters think that way, sons just bugger off and expect someone else to be responsible .

Pru is 81, Tim is 79, and they were obviously both very healthy physically.

And they explained Sam was only there for the day. He didn't have to appear at all, but I assume it's because of the family thing he was there. Their other son Joe is in one of the other episodes.

Plus of course, we're only seeing what they want us to see. They'd never show any thing bad - assuming anything bad happened.
    And they've been doing it 50 years, they're probably used to it, and used to taking things at a slower pace.

I'm just sorry there's only 4 episodes.
    It's an absolute delight, and they're such lovely people. I've always like Timothy West as an actor (and a audio book reader!) but I've never seen him and Prunella in a programme together, and it's just been a delight from start to finish.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started to watch this but I gave up with it. Same as I did after a bit, with "the other Timothy" and his barge trip around Britain.

It seems that they can never stop, "acting."

It's a lovely series and it's a narrow boat, not a barge.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    The style of this reminded me a bit of those old holiday shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tunnel they went through was scary. I don't think I could have been in the dark in a tunnel for 3hrs. Is it possible that you would meet something coming the other way ?

Sam was wonderful wasn't he. I suppose he didn't worry about his parents as they have a film crew with them, but when the boat smashed against the wall and the windows broke ... that was a worrying moment.

I can't believe their ages. Don't they look good on it ? Pru in particular looks in her late 60s.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    The tunnel they went through was scary. I don't think I could have been in the dark in a tunnel for 3hrs. Is it possible that you would meet something coming the other way ?

Not with the guy they had on the back of the boat there. I wonder if everyone has to have a chaperone.

The tunnel I went through had traffic lights at either end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Not with the guy they had on the back of the boat there. I wonder if everyone has to have a chaperone.

The tunnel I went through had traffic lights at either end.

I can only assume everyone has a chaperone. I mean, what if someone took ill or had a panic attack in there - all in the dark with no means of getting out. I certainly couldn't do it as I have mild claustrophobia. I am fine in lifts and things, but I'm not sure how fine I would be after 3hrs !!!
  • Options
    CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Am loving this series. Have spent a few holidays on boats (not narrow boats though) with my family and I laughed and cringed when Tim and Sam were 'debating' about how something should be done! It's probably not the sort of holiday you should have with people you're not related to :D Really looking forward to the next two episodes. I can't believe that Prunella is 81 - she's amazing!
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only assume everyone has a chaperone. I mean, what if someone took ill or had a panic attack in there - all in the dark with no means of getting out. I certainly couldn't do it as I have mild claustrophobia. I am fine in lifts and things, but I'm not sure how fine I would be after 3hrs !!!

Yes, everyone is accompanied in the tunnel by a guide
    http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/279.pdf

Also as the tunnel is 3.25 miles long I would not think anyone would be in the tunnel for 3 hours. With a sedate speed of under 2 mph the time spent in the tunnel would only be 2 hours at the most, less speed than that and one would lose steering and would be constantly smashing into the tunnel sides.

In an upcoming programme the 307m Pontcysyllte Aqueduct on the Llangollen is featured, it is not recommended to those with vertigo, walkable towpath one side of the boat but nothing above the gunwales on the other so step off the boat that side and there is freash air and a 36m drop (Health and Safety shut your eyes) A wonderful piece of engineering that is still standing after 200 years. with minimum maintenance. They built things to last then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Yes, everyone is accompanied in the tunnel by a guide
    http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/279.pdf

In an upcoming programme the 307m Pontcysyllte Aqueduct on the Llangollen is featured, it is not recommended to those with vertigo, walkable towpath one side of the boat but nothing above the gunwales on the other so step off the boat that side and there is freash air and a 36m drop (Health and Safety shut your eyes) A wonderful piece of engineering that is still standing after 200 years. with minimum maintenance. They built things to last then.

I remember in an episode of Waterworld they featured that Aqueduct and people going on it. I'd never seen it before, ever, so it's still stuck in my mind from that episode! The drop on one side ... makes me feel dizzy just thinking about it!
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    elfcurry wrote: »
    Is it repeated?

You can watch it on Channel 4OD
    I've just finished watching and it was brilliant
    She did BASILLLL at the beginning:)