Taylor Swift, is it just me...

GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
Forum Member
✭✭
.... that has actually started to not dislike her.

Let's get this straight, I dislike pop music her stuff whining about blokes made me want to scream, I'd never actually buy anything from her, I thought her reaction to Fey/Poehlers amusing dissing of her was just pass-ag annoyance. Also the entire pop-country genre could die tomorrow and I'd be happy but...

Ya know her anti-bieber stance, the fact she writes her own songs, stands up for herself, and that 22 song, and the latest song are songs that I quite like. I find myself warming to her.

So is she not as bad as she could be? Or is she even quite good in a way:confused:

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No she is vastly overrated. I think in an age where many don't write their own songs she is put on a pedestal as she does. That said just because one writes their own songs does not make them an accomplished musician.

She has failed to truly progress in fact with her new material has regressed and churns out the same old tired song time and again. She is annoyingly bland immature and lacking in anything relatively interesting.

I was a fan of Fearless but since then bleh.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    No she is vastly overrated. I think in an age where many don't write their own songs she is put on a pedestal as she does. That said just because one writes their own songs does not make them an accomplished musician.

She has failed to truly progress in fact with her new material has regressed and churns out the same old tired song time and again. She is annoyingly bland immature and lacking in anything relatively interesting.

I was a fan of Fearless but since then bleh.

Not a huge follower of her, as I say, but the new stuff seems different, and so I think a progression of sorts. Doesn't sound the same material I've constantly run away from when it's come on my TV, radio.

I kind of agree about the writing own stuff thing, if it's dire then what does it matter but as I say I've liked a few of her more recent songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her new music is not a progression it's a move into more commercial territory to make $$$$$ and frankly it comes off as Katy Perry light. Shake it off is by far one of the weakest records in years.

I'm not bashing her for the sake of it I just think she is average in all she does yet is regarded as more and it P***es me off. There is little or no real substance to her music it's whiny indifferent teen drivel. Even shake it off is petulant at best and she is almost 25.

She is just so bleh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, but I'm not talking as a fan-boi, anything but, I like Shake-it-off, infinitely better than anything by Perry. Oh and as I say I thought that 22 song was brilliant.

I agree that before her music was whiny, that's why I hated it, I think Shake it Off is fun though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really in no way is shake it off better than anything KP has done. It is possibly one of max martins weakest songs it's borderline a travesty. But hey maybe it's just me :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really in no way is shake it off better than anything KP has done. It is possibly one of max martins weakest songs it's borderline a travesty. But hey maybe it's just me :p

Possibly, but as I say I'm coming from an unbiased ear, and it's wormed into it, seems pretty funny and self-deprecating too.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .... that has actually started to not dislike her.

Let's get this straight, I dislike pop music her stuff whining about blokes made me want to scream, I'd never actually buy anything from her, I thought her reaction to Fey/Poehlers amusing dissing of her was just pass-ag annoyance. Also the entire pop-country genre could die tomorrow and I'd be happy but...

Ya know her anti-bieber stance, the fact she writes her own songs, stands up for herself, and that 22 song, and the latest song are songs that I quite like. I find myself warming to her.

So is she not as bad as she could be? Or is she even quite good in a way:confused:
    Opposite for me. was kinda indifferent earlier on, now shes becoming annoying.

Not sure if it was intentional but she looks awkward as hell in her latest vid. She doesnt seem a "natural" pop star to me, she gives off this slightly uncomfortable vibe.
    I reckon she'd feel more comfortable staying roughly within the genre of country. She could make country pop- thats not a bad idea. Look at Aviici
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her new music is not a progression it's a move into more commercial territory to make $$$$$ and frankly it comes off as Katy Perry light. Shake it off is by far one of the weakest records in years.

Its not a money thing i love katy perry but Katy is playing arenas and Taylor is playing stadiums
    Taylor has Also sold a lot more albums than Katy
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »
    Its not a money thing i love katy perry but Katy is playing arenas and Taylor is playing stadiums
    Taylor has Also sold a lot more albums than Katy

Yeah, but Taylor had a solid fanbase from her early country-pop albums, mainly in the US. She only really took off when RED was released worldwide, and what happened there... the jump from country-pop, to being a "cool hipster" singing purely-pop songs. The change in her from her first few albums to RED was crazy. I mean I actually really liked Red, but that was brilliant strategy to get her fans/income/whatever you want to call it, from the GLOBAL pop market.

If she stuck to country, she'd be nowhere near as big as she is now (globally anyway). Don't get me wrong, I applaud her for trying something a bit different, but it just comes across as wayyyy too try hard imo. All of Red + early TS >>>>>> Shake it Off
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not bashing her for the sake of it I just think she is average in all she does yet is regarded as more and it P***es me off. There is little or no real substance to her music it's whiny indifferent teen drivel. Even shake it off is petulant at best and she is almost 25.

She is just so bleh.

Have you been in my brain? Thanks HM for summing it up:)
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member

She is just so bleh.

See this is what I don't understand. She doesn't need to make money. She's topped the Forbes list tons of times because of her stadium tours.

"we are never" gets on my nerves. I would happily never hear that song again.

I haven't listened to "Fearless". I might do that later on. At the moment, Taylor Swift is someone that I can listen to in small doses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had in recent years with Trouble and We Never Gettin Back Together 2 perfect pop songs but these songs are also quite meaningless and now with Shake It Off a pretty weak song.

But here is the thing, Safe And Sound is a masterpiece.

So, put her together with someone like T-Bone Burnett and the Civil Wars, we could probably get one of the Country/Folk milestone albums.

But it seems she wants to have fun, nothing wrong with it.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's vastly overrated and comes off as extremely irritating! I have to turn over the TV when she does her cringing dancing to acts at award shows.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    rbautz wrote: »
    She had in recent years with Trouble and We Never Gettin Back Together 2 perfect pop songs but these songs are also quite meaningless and now with Shake It Off a pretty weak song.

But here is the thing, Safe And Sound is a masterpiece.

So, put her together with someone like T-Bone Burnett and the Civil Wars, we could probably get one of the Country/Folk milestone albums.

But it seems she wants to have fun, nothing wrong with it.

I loved the Civil Wars. I was sad yet not surprised when they officially announced their split last month.

Safe and Sound is a great song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's get one thing in terms of sales TS sold 6M of Red about 4.1 in the states 1.9 internationally. This is why she has gone to pop she doesn't sell albums en masse anywhere else in the world. Take out America and she sells relatively little. She has ambition good on her but turning into KP's younger sibling will prove detrimental in the long run. She just isn't a popstar.

Thankfull I'm not the only one feeling this way LM :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's get one thing in terms of sales TS sold 6M of Red about 4.1 in the states 1.9 internationally. This is why she has gone to pop she doesn't sell albums en masse anywhere else in the world. Take out America and she sells relatively little. She has ambition good on her but turning into KP's younger sibling will prove detrimental in the long run. She just isn't a popstar.

Thankfull I'm not the only one feeling this way LM :).

Yes, it's amazing there are other people on the internet that will be negative about someone, who'd of thunk.

As I say I hate pop/country with a burning and unbelievable passion. So I understand people who like that genre being annoyed with the new direction. Yet for me it's an improvement.

I don't particularly buy she's doing it for money though, she may just have changed, people do at that age, quite a lot.

I'm not a huge fan of pure pop either, but I prefer Shake-it-off to anything that Perry has done, and probably Gaga.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her country work is her best. Might be why her best selling album (8 million copies) is Fearless which is a country pop album. She's failed what Shania Twain did so well. Shania Twain tweaked her music a little to appeal to a worldwide audience, which led to Come On Over. But Shania still stuck to her country roots and never sold out by going full on pop. Shania mixed it up but stayed true to who she was.

Taylor may of gained more fans, higher single sales and even more tabloid attention, but she has lost something which I don't think you should lose. That is respect. A lot of people respected her in her early career. For a very young girl, she had a beautiful voice, was a good songwriter and helped bring the country genre back to a rise of prominence.

Where is that girl now? Oh i know. Shitty disposable music, endless lists of men she is seen with so she can write a hit single about how she is never in the wrong and the boy is always the bad guy and a rather annoying slightly full of herself attitude.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BTW, I've no idea why I started this thread, alcohol maybe the answer. If Swift was to retire tomorrow, I wouldn't be overtly bothered.

I just warmed to her after 22, and the new song has wormed into my head. She just seems to want to get out of an adolescent funk and have more fun.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That said just because one writes their own songs does not make them an accomplished musician.
    She writes her own music and has made millions off it, what about that isn't an accomplishment?
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Taylor Swift is popular and successful because her music is bland, inoffensive and doesn't require much thought processing (i.e. lyrics aren't thought provoking, but there is a catchy melody in there).

So kids and teenagers like Taylor Swift, and the parents hear the music and they're not offended so it ticks all the boxes. That's why she has become more successful over the last 5 years.

I'm not a Taylor fan but I Knew You Were Trouble. was a mighty fine pop song.
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    She writes her own music and has made millions off it, what about that isn't an accomplishment?

like Avril Lavigne was and writing your own music is an accomplishment and to add to the first post of this thread, she has always been good IMO
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this current single is awful. I much preferred her countryish-pop.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    I like Taylor. I'm not going to lie, it definitely helped when she took a more pop direction on her Red album. Also award shows wouldn't be the same without all the resulting cheesy gifs of her dancing like nobody is watching. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »

An accomplished musician is much more than loads of money in the bank and being able to write your own songs. Quality of music, influence and longevity matter.

I would rather be true to who i am as an aritst and have people respect me and be around for a longtime, then have millions in the bank and for people to say "oh he writes his own song, he's brilliant". It's about integrity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who decides integrity though? You? Her peer. Awards.

Seems a bit nebulous to me.