The Chase, U.S. Version

Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We occasionally watch The Chase, with Bradley Walsh, on ITV in the early evenings.
This week a new version, filmed in the U.S., featuring Mark Labett, (the Beast) as the Chaser began.
Perhaps we should have given it a chance, but the first airing was enough to turn us off.
The female presenter was right out of Central Casting, slim, blonde, well coiffeured and dressed, a regular 40 y.o. Barbie Doll.
We love our American cousins dearly, but the over enthusiastic fist bumping, and high fiving bordered on being childish in our opinion.
The graphics were a little different, and Mark "appears" to give his answer without 'locking it in' as in the British version, giving the impression that having seen the contestant getting it wrong, he has opted for the correct answer after having seen it come up on the screen.
On the final Chase, when Mark gets a question wrong, and the contestants get the opportunity to get it right and push him one step back, the correct answer is dramatically delayed for a few seconds, giving the audience the chance to whoop and holler if the contestants get it right.
I was going to Sky + record it, but I have deleted it, and the series link too.

Comments

• NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I’ve watched both the original UK version and the US version in the past. The US version is essentially the same programme, but done in the typical style of an American game show, which is only to be expected.
    I think which version an individual prefers is probably a cultural thing.

I suspect that viewers of the UK original won’t prefer the US version (although I think its still enjoyable) for the same reasons viewers of the US version won’t prefer the UK original.
    While you are of course entitled to your opinion, I can equally see a US viewer finding the UK original somewhat dull, boring and cheap. But like I said, I suspect its a cultural thing and what you are personally used to.

But forgetting all that, I’m always happy to see a UK format be successful internationally (there are several international versions of The Chase). And I’m also happy to see UK talent become successful internationally, in this case Mark Labett (The Beast).

Interestingly it was originally FOX, not GSN, who were interested in producing a US version of The Chase. They filmed 2 pilot episodes in London (with American contestants), each with different chasers (Mark was one, the other was an American), and with Bradley Walsh as the host. FOX decided not to proceed with the project, but GSN did – with a few changes (dropping Bradley Walsh as the host being the most noticeable).
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched a cool of episodes but found them to be a little bit "meh".

I still don't understand why they didn't keep Bradley walsh as a presenter.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it now on Challenge - Missing Bradley Walsh and can't see the questions on my 32" TV which is a bit annoying. The American nature of the questions is a bit off putting too. I'm wondering why they didn't use an American quizzer to be the Chaser. There must be some knowlegable Americans out of a population of 300 million.
  • Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem a little staged as well..
    In the uk version Mark would get around 20 in the final chase with ease..

In the Chase USA he seems to struggle to get to 12..

And it is over the top.. into an ad break Bradley would say"Can Dave take home any cash, find out after the break"

In the USA version a voice over will say"Dave fights for his life after the break"

Typical of them to be such drama queens...
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering why they didn't use an American quizzer to be the Chaser. There must be some knowlegable Americans out of a population of 300 million.

They did in 1 of the 2 pilot shows they recorded in London. The American chaser was a former Jeopardy! champion, but when they went to series they chose our ‘The Beast’ instead (who was the chaser in the other pilot show they did).
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had to stop watching because of the presenter. We don't understand why she talks like she's addressing five year olds, why SHE HAS TO SHOUT WHEN PEOPLE ARE STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO HER, and why she reads questions so slowly that the chaser can only answer about 15 in two minutes.

Mark is brilliant though, if you can say one thing for the presenter it's that she brings out his personality better than Bradley!
  • ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That woman who hosts The Chase USA has to be one of the most annoying creatures ever to front a game show - and I've seen a few American ones before. I didn't really rate Bradley Walsh before, but I now realise just how good he is.

Mark Labett makes a really good fist of answering some very US-centric questions, and I'm surprised just how much "local" american trivia he knows. However I really do think that the show would be better if they located an intelligent American (OK, that might be a tall order - but I'm sure they are out there somewhere - for pity's sake CHANGE THE HOST to someone who understands they are presenting a quality quiz, not the normal base stuff so beloved of US networks.

As for the continuity bozo who does his best to ruin the next part, after the commercials, by trailing what happens next - do Americans really prefer for the game to be given away?

At least, living on this side of the Atlantic we don't have to suffer US TV dross - save for the rubbish that Sky try to make us pay for.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    That woman who hosts The Chase USA has to be one of the most annoying creatures ever to front a game show - and I've seen a few American ones before. I didn't really rate Bradley Walsh before, but I now realise just how good he is.

Absolutely right about the monumentally irritating US presenter. Truly dreadful. As others have said, why does she have to shout and be so shrill? Like you I didn't think much of Bradley Walsh before but unlike you I still think he's bad. A quiz show presenter, particularly one who's required to deliver quickfire questions clearly and concisely, needs to be able to speak properly but, simply put, Walsh's slovenly speech and awful diction is appalling for this type of show.

It's a shame this excellent format is spoilt by 2 poor presenters.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Some more discussion on the show here
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2010533

Similar comments. Annoying host. Annoying constetants. Annoying audience. Slightly unfair questions for the Chaser with him not being totally au fait with US centric questions, but maybe then they should have got a US chaser either as the only chaser or along side.

It does seem to be setup to be The Beast's show though. He's the only chaser and it's 'his' show.

Infact, although i've only watched a few episodes, I can't recall the host ever calling him Mark or The Chaser. It's always 'The Beast'.

Seems that they want to set him up as a pantomime villain and are sticking to that style.

Also mentions about the small questions on screen. That may be down to the On Screen Graphics used on that network so the questions had to be moved out of the way.

And apparenty the audience isn't just the general public. They are all paid actors and have been advised to whoop, cheer, boo etc.