Options

The Flood failing to get to number 1

Comments

• Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty Years I have been a fan and I am 27......do the maths!

That must have been difficult seeing as Take That were unknown in 1990 ;):p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    Not really. I still think Take That are not a proper band and I'm not changing my mind. It's music for menopausal women and not my cup of tea.

Not a proper band? lol Ok so what do you define as a "proper band" as you call it?

Do they write their own songs? YES
    Do they play instruments? YES
    Do they sing? YES
    Do they perform live? YES
    Been musically recognitioned? YES YES and YES

I would be very interested to know what your defination of a "proper band" is, especially considering that TT have been very successful from the start.

And please "menopausal women":D
    The most shallowest argument I have ever heard!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just starting out, hardly unknown. They were putting out appearances from 1990.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just starting out, hardly unknown. They were putting out appearances from 1990.

Yeah in tiny nightclubs

Didn't release their first single until the end of 1991 and it was a GIANT flop

They didn't realistically have a fanbase until Mid 1992 circa Could it be Magic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    Yeah in tiny nightclubs

The good old days. The first time I saw them live they were all wearing dodgy lycra and leather and singing in a small nightclub :D

I'm not menopausal either :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    Boohoo, shame. :D

Not enough frustrated middle-aged women rushing out to buy the single then eh?

Glad Rihanna is no. 1.

I'm a middle aged woman who thinks Take That are bland as hell and much prefer the Rihanna song - it's a great, fun, happy track and not a dirge like the Flood :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah in tiny nightclubs

But they were releasing singles which puts your latest post into the crap pile.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Being that their first magazine cover was at the end of 1990, no it wasn't that difficult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah in tiny nightclubs

Actually July 1991 was when they released their first single, but it was June the following year, that they had their first top ten single and started to gain attention.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

Serves them right its a shit song and hogged way to much vocally by Robbie

Have you seen the 1st day album sales?

Still laughing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still laughing?

235000, if I am correct, majority of which is presales......well on their way to selling well over a million by the end of the year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Still laughing?

Oh right I forgot having HUGE album sales MUST mean quality music.

Narrow minded opinion much.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being that their first magazine cover was at the end of 1990, no it wasn't that difficult.

Which Im sure like 2 people bought

I remember that era well and I can assure you they did NOT have a fanbase in 1990 as they hadn't released a single song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oasis in my opinion are awful but they have HUGE album sales because to others their music is good and critically acclaimed.

Oh btw, Take That have received positive reviews for this album!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which Im sure like 2 people bought

I remember that era well and I can assure you they did NOT have a fanbase in 1990 as they hadn't released a single song.

I can assure they did, as they were playing the gay clubs and they had been in magazines or how the hell was I a fan and the same can be said for my friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can assure they did, as they were playing the gay clubs and they had been in magazines or how the hell was I a fan and the same can be said for my friends.

Ok a handful of people like you who went to gay night clubs (lol) enjoyed their lame dance routines.

BUT they weren't a band making recordings therefore they never had proper fans just people who found them enjoyable as a lame dance act in a chavvy club.

They first got a small fanbase in 1991 when they released their flop singles "Do What U Like" & "Promises"

Their fanbase then grew in 1992 and finallly become big in 1993 when they scored their first #1 hit with "Pray"

Remember the era well and know what Im talking about ;)
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never said it was quality music, the thread was started to laugh at their sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said it was quality music, the thread was started to laugh at their sales.

Um no it was to laugh at the fact they moved their release date forward to guarantee the number 1 spot in the singles chart and yet were still beaten by a 3 week old song.

Nowt to do with sales ;)
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member

Which seems rather ridiculous now in light of their album sales.
    Um not to laugh at the fact they moved their release date forwrd to guarantee e number 1 spot in the singles chart and yet were still beaten by a 3 week old song.

Nowt to do with sales

They brought the album forward due to massive pre-sales, and so brought the single forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only people laughing are Take That.

All the way to the bank....:D
  • Options
    Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a some nice songs but are so incredibly middle of the road. Just like Robbie they aim for the cross over market, mum's, dad's, kids etc...

I personally would take Oasis' b side album over Take That's greatest hits on one cd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok a handful of people like you who went to gay night clubs (lol) enjoyed their lame dance routines.

BUT they weren't a band making recordings therefore they never had proper fans just people who found them enjoyable as a lame dance act in a chavvy club.

They first got a small fanbase in 1991 when they released their flop singles "Do What U Like" & "Promises"

Their fanbase then grew in 1992 and finallly become big in 1993 when they scored their first #1 hit with "Pray"

Remember the era well and know what Im talking about ;)

Being that I was 7 at the time, I would slightly worried if I had been there. But I read EVERYTHING they were in, I pretty much know the backstory inside out to how they got together and how their success came about. The fanbase has grown significantly over the years. I know people who hated Take That back then who now love them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um no it was to laugh at the fact they moved their release date forward to guarantee the number 1 spot in the singles chart and yet were still beaten by a 3 week old song.

Nowt to do with sales ;)

Actually it was moved forward due to the massive repsonse to the tour!
  • Options
    Forum Member

And as I already mentioned, they brought the album forward after seeing pre-sales figures, so had to bring the single forward a week too.

They are only 6k behind JLS, so if they hadn't moved it then they would most likely be number 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sure it was