Things they left out of the Highway Code

Comments

• BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When there is slow moving traffic in one lane waiting to turn it is perfectly acceptable to undertake everybody in the queue and force your way in at the front of the queue causing the traffic in your fast moving lane to come to a stop whilst you are waiting to be let in and slowing down the original lane even further.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buses have priority on the roads. If they want to pull out of a bus stop then you must be aware of this and do an emergency stop to allow them into the road again.

Also, if you are coming towards a bus and the road is too narrow for you both to drive then you must be the one to mount the pavement and give the bus right of way

Bus drivers are allowed to slow down and have a chat to fellow bus drivers in an oncoming bus

Bus drivers must stop at the most awkward bus stop to prevent traffic from moving. Sit up, relax, read the paper, who cares your blocking the traffic behind you

I don't like buses!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world will implode if you don't reach your highly important destination as quickly as possible.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember - manoeuvre, signal, mirror (to see who you've just cut up)!
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kikifi wrote: »
    haha funny, It is perfectly acceptable to overtake in dangerous conditions if you are overtaking a lorry or tractor.

Ugh, my boss does that. Shaves 15 mins of the time he NEEDS to complete a journey, leaves at the last possible minute and then spends his time whinging about people in his way.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When stopped at traffic lights, don't put yourself to the trouble of using the handbrake. Just keep your foot firmly planted on the brake pedal, thus ensuring your high-intensity brake lights completely destroy the night vision of the poor sap behind you.
    Thankyou.
  • esquilaxesquilax Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    When driving on a straight road with no oncoming traffic and no traffic in front of or behind you, if there is a car waiting to pull out of a side road ahead, gradually slow down until you almost reach a halt just before the junction, then flash your headlights to let him out.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And on a related note ^^, when waiting at a junction, pull out dangerously in front of an approaching car, despite the fact that there is a yawning gap of about half a mile of empty road behind it.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't tell you how much this is making me laugh!
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When talking to learner drivers:

If you have passed withing the last three years, you are God's Literal Gift to Driving, and tell them how to do everything.

If you have been driving for 10 years plus, continually tell them not to do things how you do them.
  • Bette NoirBette Noir Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Horses. Or did they? I really don't know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is never your fault.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are in control of a slow moving vehicle - under no circumstances should you pull over to let traffic behind you pass.

You may take any exit on a roundabout from the left lane.

If you are travelling significantly below the speed limit and other road uses wish to travel faster than you - they are evil, speeding, psycho scumbags and must be impeded at all cost - think of the children......!

You must never merge in turn - zips are so last year. Anyone attempting to do so should be considered an affront to fashion and impeded at all cost.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Motor cycles can overtake between cars on any dual carraigeway or motorway despite there being just inches to spare.

This is one that really grates on me. I was a passenger on the M5 last week in a solid queue of traffic. The driver slowly nudged forward, drifting ever so slightly right, when a motorcylist came hurtling down the whilte-lines between lanes 2 & 3, the motorcylist blasted his horn and gave a rude hand gesture as if to say "give me more space to be an impatient f***wit and squeeze down between the traffic". Cheeky f****r. Why some motorcyclists think that queuing doesn't apply to them is beyond me. :rolleyes:
  • kikifikikifi Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Please remember the outside lane of the motorway is reserved for German made cars only. Kindly BMW & Audi drivers will alert you to your error my use of their headlights. This is (apparently) an automatic feature

This is my favourite. If I am ever in a pool car and its a BMW people just move out of my way automatically. Funny if I am in a corsa they don't do that

*If you love your car and clean it more then once a week, its perfectly acceptable to take up two car spaces, so you dont get any scratches on your car. The closer to the shop the better.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If driving a motor home or other heavy, cumbersome vehicle along country roads, it is perfectly acceptable to pull out of a side road and force a 50mph stream of traffic to slam on the brakes and follow you at 30mph for 10 miles, or so.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're turning right at a roundabout and the right hand lane has a long queue of traffic, drive in the left lane instead and then push in to the right when you're on the roundabout. This won't annoy other drivers who have been patiently queueing at all.

Always slavishly follow the directions on your SatNav, even if the way to Watford High Street appears to be down a two foot wide dirt track through a farmer's field.
  • Goonie.Goonie. Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Can't tell you how much this is making me laugh!

Me too. Some of these are very witty, making my working day a lot better :)
  • Ms ScarlettMs Scarlett Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Mini roundabouts don't count (someone told me this when I had right of way & he nearly went into me)

Also, when driving down a narrow road that has traffic parked on both sides, and therefore only room for one line of traffic, then the person who has room to pull in, should not do so & try and force the other driver to pull into a space that will magically appear out of nowhere.
    Forum Member
    I still don't understand that it isn't legal to indicate when approaching a roundabout. It would make it so much easier for everyone.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always enter a box junction when your exit is blocked

Don't indicate on roundabouts it's a waste of valuable energy, everybody knows where you're going anyway
    Forum Member
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Always enter a box junction when your exit is blocked

Don't indicate on roundabouts it's a waste of valuable energy, everybody knows where your going anyway

How do they?
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bette Noir wrote: »
    How do they?

You just guess the direction they're going. It's easy.
    Forum Member
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    You just guess the direction they're going. It's easy.

Clap
    Clap
    Clap
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    * Speed cameras are actually calibrated far below the posted speed limit - make sure you brake sharply when approaching so that you are travelling at least 10 mph below the limit as you go past.

* NSL is 40.1mph

* 30mph zones after NSL are also 40.1mph

* The zig zag lines outside schools mean you can pull into traffic without using mirrors. They are there to warn other drivers that you will be doing so.

* Always take the straightest/most direct path across a roundabout - regardless of lane markings - its more fuel efficient.

* Please refrain from using the left lane of a motorway as it wears the road surface out.

* The speed limit for cars in the middle lane of the motorway is 60mph.

* Upon approaching an oncoming vehicle in the opposite lane - always apply your brakes so the person behind you knows there is an oncoming vehicle in the opposite lane.

* Rear fog lights are brighter than tail lights, brighter = better, use them constantly.

* Highway code rules are not applicable for anyone displaying the proper authorisation (e.g. baby on board sign).

Very good :D