iPlayer to TV - The Hard Way?

TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
Forum Member
Having downloaded a programme from Iplayer the computer is not in the best room for watching the result.

It comes in WMV format. Is there a way I can get this to run on a standard DVD player? Tried a copy to DVD but the DVD player just did not like it.

Any suggestions? Can't afford a new internet enabled TV though!

TVMIA

Comments

• alunrwalunrw Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    you could convert to DVD with freemake (or something similar) http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/ - possibly your DVD may play .avi / xvid files , if so you could convert to that format.

Some Iplayer files though won't let you convert as they're protected , http://www.daniusoft.com/tutorial/remove-drm-from-bbc-iplayer-program.html, hope this of some help ?
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPlayer is subject to DRM so you would have to remove that first in order to burn it to a disc and also convert the file type. Once that's out the way though, it's plain sailing and there are plenty of handy guides online to walk you through the process.

If you planned on doing it often, you should look at getting a DVD player that can read DVD-RW discs. It won't break the bank as most modern players are capable of reading all sorts and it'd be cheaper for you with not having to buy new discs all the time ;)
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of questions:
    * How long ago did you download this show from the iPlayer? If it is within the 7 days, it may be possible to watch this show on your TV just by using a different means and directly from the stream.
    * Do you wish to do this again in the future? i.e. watch iPlayer shows on your main TV or is this a one off? The reason I am asking is that it may be worth getting iPlayer directly on your TV which may involve a small investment, but that could be handy in the future. You won't need anything as expensive as an internet TV, and some solutions could be as low as ₤50.

Anyway, for your current situation, if you have a laptop which has HDMI out (including sound, which windows ones don't always have) you can connect your laptop to your TV that way.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Thanks all. It was a fresh download yesterday. It will play happily on my small Sony MP4 player so for one offs maybe I should stick with this for the time being.

Maybe I need Sky Go + or whatever it is called..... :eek::rolleyes::mad:
  • WaldyWaldy Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    You can get the Roku Box for £39 now. The iPlayer app on this works much better than the one on my Samsung TV.