Ebay buyer fraudulently trying it on - advice

Flabby_GutFlabby_Gut Posts: 230
Forum Member
I am quite an experienced Ebay seller just selling private items, a lot of them new.

I always describe, check and photograph and describe everything I sell very accurately and make sure it is well packed and tracked.

Unfortunately I have just received a message from a fraudster, who received the item on Tuesday morning, that reckons the item was damaged & glued to repair.

I know for a fact that the item was 100% Brand New in Box, not damaged in any way before I sent it.

I have asked him why it took 3 days to get back to me about this. If he has pictures of the packaging and the item. Not surprisingly he has ignored me.

I suspect he has an older, damaged item that he is trying to pass off as the one I sent him.

Really disgusted with this, does anyone have any advice please?

Comments

• killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,907
    Forum Member
    Tell him you had applied some 'secret' marking and will check it when he has returned it.
  • sheep88sheep88 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Tell him you had applied some 'secret' marking and will check it when he has returned it.

this^ or even if it has serial numbers say you've noted them down. Also was the box ever opened before you sent the item?
    If you didn't open it say it can't be damaged and glued as the box was never opened and the item never touched. If you did open it say you have pictures from every angle of the item. If they ask for the pictures say you'll show them if they can provide pictures of the damage.
  • QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flabby_Gut wrote: »
    I am quite an experienced Ebay seller just selling private items, a lot of them new.

Why not just take the new items back to the shop and get your money back if the items are new or exchange them for something else.

Sorry just seems a bit pointless selling NEW items on EBay.

Loads of this going on now and Ebay always seem to be on the side of the buyer rather than the seller. I had trouble with a phone I sold. Not happy with the scratches on the back until I pointed out that they were fully described in the ad.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    this is common now

i get a lot who ask for partial refunds but wont return the item

paypal refund them anyway

i dont lose but its still a con
  • Flabby_GutFlabby_Gut Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    QFour wrote: »
    Why not just take the new items back to the shop and get your money back if the items are new or exchange them for something else.

Sorry just seems a bit pointless selling NEW items on EBay.

Loads of this going on now and Ebay always seem to be on the side of the buyer rather than the seller. I had trouble with a phone I sold. Not happy with the scratches on the back until I pointed out that they were fully described in the ad.

Why? If you can get double what you paid on Ebay seems like an alright deal to me!
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not really anything you can do except ask for the item to be returned for a full refund. It's one of the hazards of selling on eBay or Amazon and why I rarely sell items nowadays.

eBay and Amazon should introduce a rating system for customers so that sellers can check feedback comments and metrics for potential customers. If a buyer has bad feedback from previous sellers I can reserve the right to refuse service. For an auction I can disregard bids from buyers with bad feedback or with an unusually high volume of lost/returned items.
  • Flabby_GutFlabby_Gut Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Atlantic wrote: »
    There's not really anything you can do except ask for the item to be returned for a full refund. It's one of the hazards of selling on eBay or Amazon and why I rarely sell items nowadays.

eBay and Amazon should introduce a rating system for customers so that sellers can check feedback comments and metrics for potential customers. If a buyer has bad feedback from previous sellers I can reserve the right to refuse service. For an auction I can disregard bids from buyers with bad feedback or with an unusually high volume of lost/returned items.

This is why I don't mess about with auctions or very rarely selling used goods. I don't sell a lot, perhaps 10 - 15 items a month and my customers are generally very happy - those that bother leaving feedback that is!

I know for certain that this item was in no way damaged. He has said, dents, cracks and glued repairs which is utter BS.

BTW the item is a Brand New In Box bike helmet with the manufacturers labels on.

This guy has really annoyed me!
  • GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always good to note the serial number.