Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Can the Iplayer recording be transferred to Dvd or is it 'difficult' to do?

Yes it's fairly easy if you use Get_iplayer to download the shows (if you use the bbc version ,the files are drm protected) and them convert them to Mpeg (i use a free program called pazera )then they can be burned to DVD,personally i stick the shows on a portable usb hard drive and watch them on my TV
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone get a glitch on both Freeview & Sky during the Billy Preston & Syreeta section on the Friday morning repeat?

(I've mentioned in the past my Sky Plus glitches on stuff taped around 1am so to save stiching together shows from more than one showing, especially as BBC Four seems to be dropping the full Saturday repeat, for the sake of 5 minutes over 4am, so I bought a Freeview Plus machine for backup on the TOTP's)

During that section, Freeview glitched with a split second of green, while Sky Plus stuttered.

Surely can't be both my set up's at the same time?

I've only just got round to watching the Story of 1980 and 1980 Big Hits episodes when they were broadcast back to back on 3rd Jan and both have these same glitches in them. I have a feeling it may just be those of us who receive Beeb West Mids transmissions.
  • Options
    Groovester01Groovester01 Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    I adore 'Back on the Chain Gang' from '82. :)

Me too, I'm not a massive fan of the band but this one is my favourite songs of theirs ever and of in my top 5 of 82!. Great lyrics & subject matter, a great effervescent upbeat melody in a major key one minute then a clear shift to a more sinister minor section for the bridge just has me hooked and of course her brilliant voice.
    My dad always thought she had a very hard face like the back end of the bus which I thought was a bit harsh. :(
    Great performance of 'Chain Gang' last year at Radio 2 in HYDE PARK but what going on with her mouth at 2'51":D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ8kbordCAg
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, I'm not a massive fan of the band but this one is my favourite songs of theirs ever and of in my top 5 of 82!. Great lyrics & subject matter, a great effervescent upbeat melody in a major key one minute then a clear shift to a more sinister minor section for the bridge just has me hooked and of course her brilliant voice.
    My dad always thought she had a very hard face like the back end of the bus which I thought was a bit harsh. :(
    Great performance of 'Chain Gang' last year at Radio 2 in HYDE PARK but what going on with her mouth at 2'51":D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ8kbordCAg

Message of Love is my favourite Pretenders song.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Ah, with the backing dancers...

Kelly Marie's seamen (aka Pinky & Tony) were ace! They always made me laugh with the campest of dance routines but were actually pretty decent/versatile dancers seen about regularly on the London soul/funk scene at the time.! We were to see them again the next year doing some cool Robotics alongside Kim Wilde's sublime "Cambodia" TOTP performance too before back to camping it up with Hazel Dean on her 2 biggies from 84!:p
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    bit odd that BBC Four could time to rerun the 2 totally british rock shows last night (which were great :) ) but not enough time to run the uncut TOTP -luckily both of my friday morning recordings were OK (and got the iplayer download just in case ;) )

I was wondering about that. I couldn't stay up. I thought it was a misprint in the schedule. I was sure they would have shown the uncut version this morning. I wonder if it's now going to be the case that the only time to get the unedited show will be late Thurs/early Friday?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly Marie's seamen (aka Pinky & Tony) were ace! They always made me laugh with the campest of dance routines but were actually pretty decent/versatile dancers seen about regularly on the London soul/funk scene at the time.! We were to see them again the next year doing some cool Robotics alongside Kim Wilde's sublime "Cambodia" TOTP performance too before back to camping it up with Hazel Dean on her 2 biggies from 84!:p

Incidentally Kelly Marie is a mother of six. Although regarded as a one hit wonder over here, she did score several hits in Europe.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this week's TOTP 1980. Some great tracks, there. I even enjoy Fiddler's Dram.:blush:

I was always a big fan of Madness and their music, whilst Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall has to be one of the coolest songs and pop videos ever,
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week's wasn't vintage, with two Christmas songs, but as 1980 gets into its stride we have some excellent music to look forward. I'm looking forward to Brass In Pocket as the first number one of the eighties( Wall topped the chart before 1980).
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Thought the first TOTP of the 80s was just business as usual apart from Kurtis Blow. Strange that the full screen countdown pictures suddenly returned for this show rather than the now established portraits.
  • Options
    Cat SimonCat Simon Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dropped the ball and I can only apologise. I shall be calling my therapist in the morning.

Save yourself a few quid and just vent your spleen on here! After all, its just pop!:)
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Yes it's fairly easy if you use Get_iplayer to download the shows (if you use the bbc version ,the files are drm protected) and them convert them to Mpeg (i use a free program called pazera )then they can be burned to DVD,personally i stick the shows on a portable usb hard drive and watch them on my TV

Im gonna have to have another look at Get_iplayer as I tried it to download Pick Of The Pops, but couldnt work it out!
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True he was nothing to do with futurism but I think I'd disagree about him not being unconnected to the New Romantics. Musically perhaps not but visually he was the epitome of that style. Google image 'New Romantic' and Adam and the boys are everywhere. If I threw a New Romantic fancy dress party I'd get half a dozen Dandy Highwaymen with a white stripe over their noses turning up!

The whole pirate chic that Adam & The Ants and Bow Wow Wow were vying for ownership of in the second half of 1980 has only the most superficial link to the New Romantics. The artists that scene spawned (Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Landscape, Soft Cell, Depeche Mode) plus others associated with it (Bowie, Japan, Human League, Kraftwerk) had no direct musical links with Adam & The Ants, nor were Adam & The Ants invited into or embraced by that scene. The nearest to punk the futurists got was Bauhaus and the odd (and atypical) 1980 Siouxsie & The Banshees track ('Red Light' from Kaleidoscope).

There's an 'early 80s dressing up' link, sure - but, by that token, you could just as easily count Kim Carnes as a new romantic, judging by the attire of her supporting dancers in the video for 'Bette Davies Eyes' … ;-)
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Disco Sucks caused far more damage to disco acts in America and led the music to die out over there first, in Britain the music still had a reasonable following throughout 1980, but like everything its shelf life would run out. At least in Britain there wasn't the hatred displayed towards the music like occured in America where Nile Rogers claimed he was hassled on the street for being disco and disco records were destroyed in public. It just went the way of all trends and faded away peacefully.

In the UK, the only aspect of disco that quickly appeared dated was Travolta-man and the Bee Gees soundtrack. While the trappings of Saturday Night Fever certainly faded, the music continued in one form or another - it didn't fade away, it evolved.

Three chart-toppers from 1980 could easily be branded disco - 'Feels Like I'm In Love', 'Working My Way Back To You' and 'Use It Up, Wear It Out'. Then there's the obvious disco cheese of 'Dance Yourself Dizzy' and 'D.I.S.C.O'.

But while that was going on at the more commercial end of the market - and the pop acts that had flocked to disco lost interest - the music itself was changing with the advent of jazz-funk, the growth of label powerhouses like Solar (the Whispers, Shalamar) and many of disco's trademarks being adopted first by punk (Blondie, Ian Dury & The Blockheads, The Clash, Talking Heads), then the new groups coming through in the early 80s (ABC, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet). Richard James Burgess, Spandau's first producer and the man behind Landscape, even produced Colonel Abrams' 1985 hit 'Trapped'

People may not have talked about 'disco' as a kind of trend that it was in the 70s - but that was because the music had mutated into other styles and absorbed into other genres. And it would only be six years before disco was specifically referenced again - by house.

So the 'D' word may have been used less and less - but the music was still there in one form or another and people carried on dancing.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    whilst Pink Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall has to be one of the coolest songs and pop videos ever,

Yes - there's not enough love for that song/video! ;-).

I remember asking for that single for Christmas, on the strength of the video! Back in 1979 we had no video recorder - so you just had to hope that buying the single would enable it to still be played on the TV. Maybe that's why it was No1 for 5 weeks - maybe other people thought the same as me & were doing the same!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    In the UK, the only aspect of disco that quickly appeared dated was Travolta-man and the Bee Gees soundtrack. While the trappings of Saturday Night Fever certainly faded, the music continued in one form or another - it didn't fade away, it evolved.

Three chart-toppers from 1980 could easily be branded disco - 'Feels Like I'm In Love', 'Working My Way Back To You' and 'Use It Up, Wear It Out'. Then there's the obvious disco cheese of 'Dance Yourself Dizzy' and 'D.I.S.C.O'.

But while that was going on at the more commercial end of the market - and the pop acts that had flocked to disco lost interest - the music itself was changing with the advent of jazz-funk, the growth of label powerhouses like Solar (the Whispers, Shalamar) and many of disco's trademarks being adopted first by punk (Blondie, Ian Dury & The Blockheads, The Clash, Talking Heads), then the new groups coming through in the early 80s (ABC, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet). Richard James Burgess, Spandau's first producer and the man behind Landscape, even produced Colonel Abrams' 1985 hit 'Trapped'

People may not have talked about 'disco' as a kind of trend that it was in the 70s - but that was because the music had mutated into other styles and absorbed into other genres. And it would only be six years before disco was specifically referenced again - by house.

So the 'D' word may have been used less and less - but the music was still there in one form or another and people carried on dancing.

Indeed, in London/the home counties we used the term 'boogie' as disco evolved, a style which essentially included less orchestrated four on the floor grooves more associated with disco to a more slower, funkier, stripped back groove, still soulful but using new technological advances that were coming through at the time (synthesizers/drum machines, etc) Young & Co, D Train, Rockers Revenge, Alton Edwards, Central Line, Sharon Redd, Sharon Brown, Raw Silk, Evelyn King & Melba Moore's new funkier sound, Raw Silk are early examples of the style that graced the charts & beyond! Aside from 'boogie' Brit-Funk of course was beginning to make waves in 1980. Can't wait to see Lynx's debut performance later on in the year performing the excellent 'You're Lying'!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, in London/the home counties we used the term 'boogie' as disco evolved, a style which essentially included less orchestrated four on the floor grooves more associated with disco to a more slower, funkier, stripped back groove, still soulful but using new technological advances that were coming through at the time (synthesizers/drum machines, etc) Young & Co, D Train, Rockers Revenge, Alton Edwards, Central Line, Sharon Redd, Sharon Brown, Raw Silk, Evelyn King & Melba Moore's new funkier sound, Raw Silk are early examples of the style that graced the charts & beyond! Aside from 'boogie' Brit-Funk of course was beginning to make waves in 1980. Can't wait to see Lynx's debut performance later on in the year performing the excellent 'You're Lying'!

Absolutely agree. Disco never really died in the UK, it just evolved and split into different forms. I'm in my 40's and remember hearing the terms jazz funk, Brit funk, 80's soul etc throughout the early 80's.
    The whole weekenders scene started in 1979 with Caister and dance/soul/funk (basically Disco by another name) clubs around the South East were legendary - Gold Mine, Flicks, Zero 6, TOTS etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Disco never really died in the UK, it just evolved and split into different forms. I'm in my 40's and remember hearing the terms jazz funk, Brit funk, 80's soul etc throughout the early 80's.
    The whole weekenders scene started in 1979 with Caister and dance/soul/funk (basically Disco by another name) clubs around the South East were legendary - Gold Mine, Flicks, Zero 6, TOTS etc

Oh Yeah, good ole Caister with Chris Hill, Froggy & Frosty! The early 80's was such golden era & exciting peroid in soul/dance music! I'm glad Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars is finding inspiration from music from the early 80's Funk/Soul. OK, so it borrows from every funk cliche in the book but it's undoubtedly one of the best/funkiest number 1 singles in a long long while. :cool:
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going back to a post I made a few days ago, I've just had confirmation that the chart we saw featured on TOTP last Thursday was definitely based on sales from 17 to 22 December 1979 - good to know my intuition was correct! This means that the chart featured in the next edition of TOTP we will see (sadly not for another week) is the first to be based on sales from the 1980s.
  • Options
    andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Im gonna have to have another look at Get_iplayer as I tried it to download Pick Of The Pops, but couldnt work it out!

Hi Westy2, if you check your PM's I've sent a couple of useful links....
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Going back to a post I made a few days ago, I've just had confirmation that the chart we saw featured on TOTP last Thursday was definitely based on sales from 17 to 22 December 1979 - good to know my intuition was correct! This means that the chart featured in the next edition of TOTP we will see (sadly not for another week) is the first to be based on sales from the 1980s.

Care to elaborate on how you confirmed it Robbie?

Does this mean that 4 days worth of record sales on 24th, 27th, 28th & 29th December 1979 simply vanished into a black hole never be counted? Astonishing revelation if so.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyd1302 wrote: »
    Hi Westy2, if you check your PM's I've sent a couple of useful links....
    Would you be good enough to send me the same useful links regards downloading of POTP for the same reasons Westy asked. Thanks Andy. ;-)
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    The whole pirate chic that Adam & The Ants and Bow Wow Wow were vying for ownership of in the second half of 1980 has only the most superficial link to the New Romantics. The artists that scene spawned (Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Landscape, Soft Cell, Depeche Mode) plus others associated with it (Bowie, Japan, Human League, Kraftwerk) had no direct musical links with Adam & The Ants, nor were Adam & The Ants invited into or embraced by that scene. The nearest to punk the futurists got was Bauhaus and the odd (and atypical) 1980 Siouxsie & The Banshees track ('Red Light' from Kaleidoscope).
    There's not a direct link in 1980 in fasion or music between Adam and the Mew Romantics but there's little doubt he was quickly influenced by their apperance. His pirate look emerged quite separately to New Romaritics. but by the time we get to the Prince Charming look it's New Romantic through and through.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    (Double post deleted)
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole pirate chic that Adam & The Ants and Bow Wow Wow were vying for ownership of in the second half of 1980 has only the most superficial link to the New Romantics. The artists that scene spawned (Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Landscape, Soft Cell, Depeche Mode) ,,,,,

Hmm. interesting. I'd never have called Soft Cell New Romantics. Futurist, yes, but visually I don't see anything New Romantic about them or musically really: their songs were always too 'kitchen sink' realism (with a sinister pervy twist!) to fit the escapist themes of New Romanticism. And by the time they hit the big time (1981) surely the New Romantic fad was over? But who was a New Romantic is hard to define because it was over almost as soon as it begun and apart from Visage it seems all the likely suspects ran a mile at the suggestion of any link with that scene.
This discussion has been closed.