Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Sons of Fortune - Jeffrey Archer
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just coming to the end of 'The Memory Book' by Rowan Coleman (audio version). Well-written and quite thought-provoking, I've enjoyed the story. I'm not sure how true/realistic the portrayal of life with early onset Alzheimer's is though.

Next up, I've got 'The Crossing Places' by Elly Griffiths - au author I've never read before, so I don't know what to expect but am hoping it will be a decent read (listen).
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins.

I'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to reading "Mockingjay".

I have already seen the first two films though I plan to rewatch them once I've finished the books. Normally I like to read the book first before seeing the film(s) but I never got round to it.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    The War Planners - Andrew Watts

Short novella, won in a Goodreads giveaway.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm into Philippa Gregory books at the moment and on a market stall I found some at £1.50 so bought five :cool:

I've started with this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_of_the_Rivers
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Crimes of Jack the Ripper - The Whitechapel Murders Re-examined by Paul Roland
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Laura Lipman - The innocents
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann

Billed as 'The finest book on aviation ever written' so I have high hopes!
  • Options
    ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    A Trick of the Mind - Penny Hancock
    This did hold my attention, but the story seemed unconvicing to me. When I finished it, I wondered why I bothered.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I have thankfully just finished The Girl On The Train and do not get the hype about it? It took me ages to read and I was not bothered who did what 4 chapters from the.

I was so glad to shut the book close.

Very disappointed as it was rated very highly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished 'The Crossing Places' by Elly Griffiths, and I thought it compared pretty well with similar series, so I'll definitely seek out the rest of the Ruth Galloway series.

I'm now in the middle of 'The Strangling on the Stage' (audio version), written and ready by Simon Brett. I like this lightweight crime series - it's gently humorous and completely unchallenging (a bit like Rosemary & Thyme, or Midsomer Murders). Plus, it's extra fun for me because I live where the fictional village of Fethering is supposedly located, so there's lots of local references for me. :)
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Brown - Inferno.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm listening to Life of Pi by Yann Martel, read by Jeff Woodman. I read this when it came out in paperback and saw the film too. I'm hoping to understand the significance of the island this time round.

I've just started The Mangle Street Murders by M.R.C. Kasasian It's a Victorian crime novel inspired by Sherlock Holmes and, according to the write-up, is "funny, fresh and sharply plotted".
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Mel Sherratt - Follow the leader
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    luckylila wrote: »
    Finished 'The Crossing Places' by Elly Griffiths, and I thought it compared pretty well with similar series, so I'll definitely seek out the rest of the Ruth Galloway series.

I'm now in the middle of 'The Strangling on the Stage' (audio version), written and ready by Simon Brett. I like this lightweight crime series - it's gently humorous and completely unchallenging (a bit like Rosemary & Thyme, or Midsomer Murders). Plus, it's extra fun for me because I live where the fictional village of Fethering is supposedly located, so there's lots of local references for me. :)

Really enjoyed all the books in the Ruth Galloway series, have now started reading Graham Masterton series of Katie Macquire have read White bones which is the first in a five book series Really good read a bit more gritty than Simon Brett (not much humour;-)) but quite like the Elly Griffiths
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed all the books in the Ruth Galloway series, have now started reading Graham Masterton series of Katie Macquire have read White bones which is the first in a five book series Really good read a bit more gritty than Simon Brett (not much humour;-)) but quite like the Elly Griffiths

I love the Ruth Galloway series and was going to post and ask which series were similar, so will definitely look into Graham Masterton. I have heard of the author but not read anything by him yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started The Accidental Adventurer - Ben Fogle's Autobiography. I don't usually read (auto)biographies but this was recommended by someone on work so I'll give it a go. I have enjoyed Ben Fogle's tv series so I think I'll enjoy it.
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I love the Ruth Galloway series and was going to post and ask which series were similar, so will definitely look into Graham Masterton. I have heard of the author but not read anything by him yet.

Graham Masterton used to write horror in the James Herbert/ Stephen king style. He has moved onto crime and the ones I have read have been good with quite a dark backgound
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just finished 'Daughter' and have now started reading One Night In Italy - Lucy Diamond. Total chick-lit but I love Italy so looking forward to reading this. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

The first case for Hercule Poirot

I need a Christie fix now and again, nice quick and comfortable reads
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks crunchie, I'll definitely check Graham Masterton out next. Hope he's available on audio. :)

I've now finished the Simon Brett book and have started 'The Sandman' by Lars Keplar. (Audio version, as usual). I found his other best seller 'The Hypnotist' pretty good, although a little bit too long.

I'm enjoying 'The Sandman' so far, although the sparse writing style isn't my favourite style of prose. It's a gripping start to the story though, so hopefully it will manage to keep the pace up and not go all flabby towards the end.
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winter Of The World by Ken Follett. Must be the longest book I've ever read! After a week I'm up to chapter 3 but have skipped parts of chapter 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found another book by Elly Griffiths and although it's not part of the Ruth Galloway series I have bought it and started it this morning. It's called The Zig Zag Girl.
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blood And Bone - Tara Brown