It's 5 pennies.

Post me the $19.95 and I'll send you the 5p. :D
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's 5 pennies.

Post me the $19.95 and I'll send you the 5p. :D

People make millions leaving messages like that in newspapers and magazines. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.xe.com has live currency values

Edit: And says the $19.95 is £10.97 :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah www.xe.com is the one site I always check for any amounts of money that I need to check how much it is in English Pounds Sterling.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends what country the $ is from....

could be USA, Canada, Australia, NZ, East Carribbean, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    19.95 in Jamaican Dollars is 16p Sterling.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah www.xe.com is the one site I always check for any amounts of money that I need to check how much it is in English Pounds Sterling.
    I think you'll find they are British Pounds Sterling.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, he was right.... the official currency of the UK, inlcluding here in Scotland is issued by the bank Of England.

All those Scottish and Northern Ireland notes, although widely accepted are not officially legal tender.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's about £4,000,000 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    troublegum wrote:
    No, he was right.... the official currency of the UK, inlcluding here in Scotland is issued by the bank Of England.

All those Scottish and Northern Ireland notes, although widely accepted are not officially legal tender.
    Igoring the fact that "legal tender" is completely meaningless in modern usage anyway, no banknotes are legal tender in Scotland.

Anyway I wasn't talking about notes, I was talking about the currency, which is GB Pounds Sterling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote:
    Igoring the fact that "legal tender" is completely meaningless in modern usage anyway, no banknotes are legal tender in Scotland.

Anyway I wasn't talking about notes, I was talking about the currency, which is GB Pounds Sterling.

I don't get it when people say they're not legal tender :confused:

What IS legal tender then???
  • Options
    etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member

As far as I know, it is UK coins UK wide and BoE bank notes in England and Wales only.

That said, almost everybody knows that Scottish and Northern Irish notes are as sound as BoE ones and only the ignorant and obstructive refuse to accept them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get it when people say they're not legal tender :confused:

Coins.

Legal tender is something which cannot be refused in settlement of a debt, so really has very little relevance in modern usage of currency.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote:
    Coins.
    Only up to a certain value, with the exception of one, two and five pound coins:

20p and 50p - up to £10
    10p and 5p - up to £5
    1p and 2p - up to (believe it or not) 20p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    etldlrl wrote:
    As far as I know, it is UK coins UK wide and BoE bank notes in England and Wales only.

That said, almost everybody knows that Scottish and Northern Irish notes are as sound as BoE ones and only the ignorant and obstructive refuse to accept them.

But living in Scotland, I find I am given English bank notes in my change very regularly. It seems to be almost as common as Scottish notes. I've certainly never been refused to be allowed to pay with English notes.

I've used Scottish notes down in the South of England too and I've never been refused although I know other people that have been.

I always thought it was legal tender. I was told by a bartender in a restaurant that they don't have to accept it but most places do as a goodwill gesture.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone tried to pay me with a scottish note the other day ( I work at a till) and I've never seen one before so wasn't sure what to do.

I asked one of my collegues if we accept them and the customer got all arsey about it saying 'Well you damn well better accept it because it's legal tende!!r".

I was only checking to cover my own ass! Jeez! lol
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    I always thought it was legal tender. I was told by a bartender in a restaurant that they don't have to accept it but most places do as a goodwill gesture.
    It's not legal tender, but it is tradable currency - something you use to buy stuff with - and that's what matters.

For some reason the question of legal tender seems to come up a lot here. For 99% of people the notion of what is or isn't legal tender is irrelivent. People buy things everyday without using legal tender. Most people don't know what is or isn't legal tender. Most people have no need to know - and shouldn't care.

The bartender could equally say "We don't have to accept credit cards but we do as a goodwill guesture".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote:
    It's not legal tender, but it is tradable currency - something you use to buy stuff with - and that's what matters.

For some reason the question of legal tender seems to come up a lot here. For 99% of people the notion of what is or isn't legal tender is irrelivent. People buy things everyday without using legal tender. Most people don't know what is or isn't legal tender. Most people have no need to know - and shouldn't care.

The bartender could equally say "We don't have to accept credit cards but we do as a goodwill guesture".
    Exactly. What is or isn't legal tender is irrelevant to buying goods or services - legal tender is what a creditor must accept to settle a debt - they may also accept a cheque or a cow in payment, but they may refuse those offers if they so wish. Although under Scottish law a creditor must accept any "reasonable" offer of payment (which is ultimately for a court to decide what is reasonable).

And as you say what a business wants to take as payment for its goods and services is up to them. Taking credit cards, banknotes, cheques or cattle as payment is up to them so are all "goodwill gestures".