Options

Being Ambidextrous.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Heya

I know this might sound stupid, but is there anyway that i can learn to become ambidextrous?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've become more ambidextrous since starting to use my mouse at work with my left hand. (Was having problems using the mouse on the right-hand side),

I think if you can go through the effort of using your other hand more (particularly on precision tasks) it can make you more ambidextrous (maybe).
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    I wrote with both hands when I started school, but my teacher told me I shouldn't do that and should use my right hand instead. I wish I had ignored her as I have tried to write with my left hand again and just cannot do it at all...
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use your mouse with your left hand to play Solitaire or other card games. You'll be amazed at how quickly you pick it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    I wrote with both hands when I started school, but my teacher told me I shouldn't do that and should use my right hand instead. I wish I had ignored her as I have tried to write with my left hand again and just cannot do it at all...

I did that! I wrote half the page with my left hand, swapped over to the right mid-page! I had a ribbon tied round my right hand to 'remind' me of the 'correct' hand to use :eek:

So I rebelled and used my left hand...now I wish I'd kept up with both because I can only write neatly very slowly in my left hand! I suppose it's just about practice.
  • Options
    tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous..............
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was 8 I broke my right arm and spent 10 weeks in plaster. I soon learnt to use my left hand for everyday tasks in school and out. I'm still slightly ambidextrous, but do prefer to use my right hand for writing.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm naturally left handed, but I had a series of (what I call) mentally ill teachers who thought the concpet of picking up a pencil with your left had was a sin and forced me to behave right handed. The result is i'm completely ambidexterous, but my handwriting is appalling as I don't have as mcuh control over my right hand as I should, writing with my left had is slightly worse as I don't practice it.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I'm naturally left handed, but I had a series of (what I call) mentally ill teachers who thought the concpet of picking up a pencil with your left had was a sin and forced me to behave right handed. The result is i'm completely ambidexterous, but my handwriting is appalling as I don't have as mcuh control over my right hand as I should, writing with my left had is slightly worse as I don't practice it.

Oooh... sinister! ;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bexy_1234 wrote: »
    When I was 8 I broke my right arm and spent 10 weeks in plaster. I soon learnt to use my left hand for everyday tasks in school and out. I'm still slightly ambidextrous, but do prefer to use my right hand for writing.

Ouch! I bet ten weeks seems like an eternity when you're eight!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im left handed but in everyday life, you will find that left handed people have to adapt to right handedness to get by. This is not a leftie rant though! Im not sure you can learn to be ambidextrous though, just more adapted!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
    Forum Member
    You can learn to write with your left hand (if you are naturally right handed), it just means you have to practice every day. It's a bit like when you first start learning to write when you're at school, your letters are all over the place. Last year, i started writing left handed each day for about 30 mins, i went through the alphabet lots of times and wrote sentences, my name and other things and it was amazing how much i improved in a short space of time. But cos my left hand isnt used to writing it got achey quite quickly.

Good luck, with some effort and patience you'll be able to write fairly well with your other hand!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did that! I wrote half the page with my left hand, swapped over to the right mid-page! I had a ribbon tied round my right hand to 'remind' me of the 'correct' hand to use :eek:

So I rebelled and used my left hand...now I wish I'd kept up with both because I can only write neatly very slowly in my left hand! I suppose it's just about practice.

Yeah, I wrote with one hand till it got tired, then swapped over. It's odd how teachers always seem to encourage kids writing with both hands to use the right. What does it matter which one you favour..?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch! I bet ten weeks seems like an eternity when you're eight!

Needless to say I broke it a week before the summer holidays, so spent the entire summer holiday in plaster, bored rigid while everyone else was outside! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I wrote with one hand till it got tired, then swapped over. It's odd how teachers always seem to encourage kids writing with both hands to use the right. What does it matter which one you favour..?

I don't think teachers encourage children to use any particular hand anymore. I work in a nursery school and we don't push them to hold a brush or pencil in the right hand. We just take note of those who do use their left hand or use both to see if they naturally change.
  • Options
    i_am_a_gremlini_am_a_gremlin Posts: 3,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was left handed when I started school and every time I tried to use my left hand..the teacher used to smack me across the knuckles with a ruler.....

I am now ambidextrous but still favour my left hand for most things.....
    Man she was a NASTY woman :mad:
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member

Snap - and my mum had it beaten out of her when she was at school in Ireland. I also broke my left arm when I was about 6, so had to learn to write with my right hand and as a consequence of all the above, my handwriting is dreadful.

Sinister.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Xassy wrote: »
    I don't think teachers encourage children to use any particular hand anymore. I work in a nursery school and we don't push them to hold a brush or pencil in the right hand. We just take note of those who do use their left hand or use both to see if they naturally change.

Sorry, you're right - I should have used "seemed" rather than "seem". This was back in the late 70's and I would have gathered things had changed since then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont think you can learn

i am but it's just by chance i would have thought. i write with my left and do everything with my right. i can also write with my right but chose the left as im more comfortable.

it's all to do with the side's of your brain that are used to implement certain activities
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the same as a lot of Fms on here, Used to get a whack on the hand with a ruler from an old fashioned teacher in junior school if I wrote with my left. So I'm LH in some things and RH in others...and have lousy handwriting!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends broke her collarbone and had to learn to be ambidextrous. It can be learnt, just takes practice :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do any other of you glorious ambidextrous folk also have this: Often when I'm asked things like "place you left hand here" I have to pause and think, sometimes quite hard, over which one is the left and which one is the right? I think it's because I don't have a clear difference in the way I perceive them and either one can do any job I need, it always depends on which hand is closest and not which is "right" (or left).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    I'm ambidextrous I can do F*ck all with both hands. someone had to say it lol

Being serious though I used to be as a kid and over the years (nearly 26) i've become a bit of both. I eat, use scissors, use a mouse wear my watch etc right handed but I write, use the phone left handed. I also seem to favour my left side too, like putting my left foor first when walking or chewing food on my left side first werid but hey thats me lol
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Sorry, you're right - I should have used "seemed" rather than "seem". This was back in the late 70's and I would have gathered things had changed since then.

It's fine. Actually, I was 'strongly encouraged' to use my right hand at nursery school in the early 90s. Except for writing, I'd still rather use my left hand e.g. for my watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Do any other of you glorious ambidextrous folk also have this: Often when I'm asked things like "place you left hand here" I have to pause and think, sometimes quite hard, over which one is the left and which one is the right? I think it's because I don't have a clear difference in the way I perceive them and either one can do any job I need, it always depends on which hand is closest and not which is "right" (or left).

I get that from time to time.

It's strange, because I've always been labelled as a left hander all my life, just because I write with my left (but I write like a right-hander, i.e. not like Barack Obama).

The reality is I'm ambi. I write left handed, bounce a ball with my left, throw with my left but thats about it. Everything else is right-handed; eating, racquet games and shooting to name a few.

Cheers,
    Jeff

p.s. Just thought, there is one another left handed activity!
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am left handed for writing but write like a right handed person too. Whereas my best friend is left handed and she writes like a leftie and I always think it looks a real pita to write how she does.

For anything apart from writing though I can use either hand. I think most lefties can just from the fact they they have had to.

Saying that though, I don't get on with items that are specifically made for left handed people, like left handed computer mice or tin openers. I find it easier to use a normal one.