Options

The Grumpy Old Women Thread... (Part 18)

Comments

• Options
    SadpersonSadperson Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I was well enough for a meet up, I tried message OMG about my new pen name bit not heard anything:D

BIB - sorry to hear you are under the weather again. Really hoped you were out of the woods now. Perhaps we should hold the Grumpy Convention near you - :cool:

New pen name? :confused:
  • Options
    me@homeme@home Posts: 13,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    It used to be Queen's Day during my Amsterdam days too. Loved it and the party atmosphere. I still miss the place so I might be popping in to say hello one of these days me@. And your garden really does sound fab. :cool: The kids, not so much. :D
    Sadperson wrote: »
    me@, one day I will definitely come and visit. Your part of the world has been on my To Do list since the mid eighties when I visited Breda for a work thing and loved it. Perhaps we should hold a Grumpy Convention. Supersoakers and PG obligatory :D

This town can take anything so a bit of GOW Amsterdamage won't do it any harm. I'd love for you all to come over and have some fun here before we all get too old to cause trouble. :D

Still recovering from the party and stuffed full of great food. It was pure madness and I had fun playing with the kids. The birthday girl got jealous though because I'm supposed to only be her friend and she tried to rip her friend's Snow White dress off when I said it was pretty.:o I sat down on the floor to play with the kids but had to be helped up after I got stuck and couldn't get up by myself.:blush: Beer and homemade limoncello straight from Naples helped to soothe my achey joints and my embarrassment. Mr. Home came home from work right after I came down with a plate of food for him but he took it up there to hang out with them for a while. He's been up there for almost 2 hours now. I may have to go and get him as he's keeping the kids up way, way past their bedtime. He's probably been talked into a game of chess with the man of the house or is talking football with the almost 13 year old who he always calls "Messi". I can hear the little ones running around and lots of laughter though so it's all good I guess.
  • Options
    looney lauralooney laura Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    BIB - sorry to hear you are under the weather again. Really hoped you were out of the woods now. Perhaps we should hold the Grumpy Convention near you - :cool:

New pen name? :confused:

Sad I messaged you, Me@ sound like you had fun and OH sounds just like mine forgets the road back:D
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

me@, one day I will definitely come and visit. Your part of the world has been on my To Do list since the mid eighties when I visited Breda for a work thing and loved it. Perhaps we should hold a Grumpy Convention. Supersoakers and PG obligatory :D

Going through airport security will be fun. :D

My weekend is shrinking a bit due to having to cram loads in before jetting off. Not enough time! And I committed myself to a meeting next week that I can't really move or get out of, and need to prepare for, so I'm working my way through a mountain of Polish paperwork and it's taking far longer than I stupidly imagined. I do read Polish but my speed is so slooooooow. Batman keeps saying he wishes he could help. I don't believe him! :D
  • Options
    AmicaAmica Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another lovely day. Hooray. Need to do something with it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    Going through airport security will be fun. :D

My weekend is shrinking a bit due to having to cram loads in before jetting off. Not enough time! And I committed myself to a meeting next week that I can't really move or get out of, and need to prepare for, so I'm working my way through a mountain of Polish paperwork and it's taking far longer than I stupidly imagined. I do read Polish but my speed is so slooooooow. Batman keeps saying he wishes he could help. I don't believe him! :D
    Where are you off to now?
    Amica wrote: »
    Another lovely day. Hooray. Need to do something with it...
    Enjoy you lovely day for me too since it's raining and cold today here. I think I'm going to have to turn the heating on. >:(
  • Options
    ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    Evening all :D

So great to see me@ and the twingley one back on the thread where they should be! All is well in the world when the grumpyones are en masse.

I'm tired - very tired .... very VERY tired.... so tired I can barely think and as you know I struggle at the best of times :D All I've done is work work work! It was a public holiday on saturday, the store was shut so an official day off and an unoffical day guess where?!? yes, at work! Today my shift turned from 8 hours into 11 hours - I'm not exactly sure how that happened. One minute it was mid afternoon and going home time and the next thing it was store closing time!

Oooh I had a minor catastrophe on Tuesday which was my one day off this week - my car overheated! substantially :o I had to get it towed - the woman at RACQ asked if there was steam/smoke coming out the car - I said I had no idea, as soon as I smelt burning I legged it out the car and into the house and worried vaguely, she was amused! The service I received was fantastic though - the car was towed within half an hour and the garage had it fixed within 2 hours, and it wasn't too expensive thank god (or not depending on religious belief or lack thereof :p:) Last time I had a car overheat nearly 20 years ago, it needed the entire engine rebuilt as it was the head gasket that was screwed - this time it was just the thermostat housing which is apparently plastic now and had got brittle and snapped off! Bloody cheapo parts - *shakes fist in futile rage*

The trouble with that incident was that I missed a viewing of a house and then lost it to someone else - oh woe! It's hard getting the time to go and view houses with work being the way it is - but i've got to do it somehow as the date is approaching where I have to move :o

YoungPlum is doing well, she's an idiot and a chip off the old block! I passed her in the hallway a little while ago off to the kitchen to drink some tomato sauce! Apparently she's playing truth or dare - ahhh well, she'll learn :D

Kitchen is being ripped out here this week so i've had to empty my bits and pieces out the kitchen and move my larder cupboard thing. My bedroom which also serves as my office, my library, my music room and my lounge, has now also become my kitchen! It's not a very big room :o I think we'll be living on takeaways and sandwiches for a couple of weeks, but i'm too tired to worry about it or plan - i'm just going to shrug and go with the flow! :)

Well, this is a long witter isn't it - go me! :D
  • Options
    SadpersonSadperson Posts: 12,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go Plummie, love a good witter and yours are the best!

Hope you get the home of your dreams very soon - keep telling yourself everything happens for a reason - I do (not that I'm convincing myself yet) :D

Life's got a tad overwhelming here and I need to step away from the laptop more often really - waste far too much time on it really :(

Safe travels Batty and love to the olds ;) Good luck with the meeting too. I can't understand a word of Polish as you know so I admire you greatly :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Afternoon all
    Lovely witter Plum but we would expect no less from you, hope the house hunting is over soon. You need some down time lady.

Same old same old this end keep plodding so all good
  • Options
    AmicaAmica Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love to hear a good witter.

Me and the other half are just catching up with the "Code of a Killer" tv thing from a couple of weeks back. It's very good. And then we realised that I was at the very same Uni at the very same time. Didn't know about the excellent work that the man was doing. And I was also a dead ringer for the victims - gulp.

I wish the weekend was three days long instead of two. I'm just about relaxing and it's time to go back. I know it's a three day weekend next weekend but I have to work it. Boo. Fortunately it's only 4 weeks till half term. The problem with teaching is that you are always anticipating the next holiday. It makes time go faster. I also know that nobody is feeling sorry for that as they wish they had the same holidays. I will quit while I am ahead .

Can't imagine being down with the kids till I'm 67 though!
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw Plummie I always looked forward to your posts . Please may you get a nice home soon xx

Amica PLEASE take my advice and work as long as possible. I wish I could turn the clock back 6 yrs. 55yrs is far too young to retire and if I live to a ripe old age it will be in poverty although it is very doubtful that will happen so am cool with that (that is live to very old)

Hugs for all those Gows needing them and Bats hope the meeting goes well.

Did I tell you we are getting cats . It has taken me this long to get over putting my old boy and girl to sleep but now am ready. This time no kittens but just some moggie ( or two) who need a good home from the local rescue centre. I would have had two by now if could have driven up to Inverness but with mum and my toe it has been out of the question. I am going private (for my toe!) having waited too long on NHS so roll on Tuesday. I had bloods taken last week and had a call back but not too worried as having a telephone consultation Thurs and am sure if it was urgent it would have been earlier. Plus nurse did say the nail infection would probably show up in my bloods and if it is high chol they can stuff the statins. I am NOT taking them :o

Hugs all x
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello, all! :)

Been a busy weekend, but a constructive one and I'm wending my way off to bed.

Laura, think I might need a message too...?

Plum, glad to see you drop by. God luck with the house.

Done cooking (chicken jalfrezi curry), gardening, shopping and playing this weekend so happy with that. Now for monday morning... *sigh*

Sending hugs to all busy GOWs; here's hoping we all have a positive week.

Night night! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    handymelon wrote: »
    Hello, all! :)

Been a busy weekend, but a constructive one and I'm wending my way off to bed.

Laura, think I might need a message too...?

Plum, glad to see you drop by. God luck with the house.

Done cooking (chicken jalfrezi curry), gardening, shopping and playing this weekend so happy with that. Now for monday morning... *sigh*

Sending hugs to all busy GOWs; here's hoping we all have a positive week.

Night night! :)
    Sent Handy
    Morning all well just feeling better that yesterday now that the temperature has broken it was horrible will just keep an eye on it thou,
    twingle pussy cats how lovely we only have one but keep asking for anothe rto be told that she won't like it but she sleeps all day:D
    Bat Safe journey and hope the trip isn't too stressful and your cake comes through without being tipped up:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura , hope you still feeling better and it stays like that forever and a day :). Just had a light bulb moment I can recommend friends to you so will see who is missing and will do.

Happy kings day Me@ Let the fun commence. Hope Mr Me has the day off

Handy hope Melons is feeling better . I used to give mine flat coke so the buggers loved being ill as never got it otherwise :o

Happy Monday everyone

ETA downloaded free virus scanners twice and when all done and dusted it then takes me to a payment page! Anyone know what am doing wrong. Was Avast and windows defender
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I use Panda Anti Virus with Malwarebytes and CCleaner haven't paid for any of it did you just click the link:D I know some give you a 30 Free trial of the paid stuff but I have never paid I am sure KJ will be along and put you right:)
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    good evening my darling grumpies

had a night out with two work colleagues on Sat night...still getting over it:cool::o:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good for you snowy
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I am sure KJ will be along and put you right:)

I defer to my learned colleague me@home when it comes to anything Windows related. I run McAfee for my sins, hate it.

I am still in shock after pleading with MrsKJ not to turn off her laptop during a Windows update this morning. She didn't thankfully.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Supersoakers and PG obligatory.

How many bottles of PG does a Supersoaker hold? :o Gin evaporates and doesn't stain. Who said I'm never practical?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I defer to my learned colleague me@home when it comes to anything Windows related. I run McAfee for my sins, hate it.

I am still in shock after pleading with MrsKJ not to turn off her laptop during a Windows update this morning. She didn't thankfully.

Naughty step for you KJ:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »

me@home despairs of me because I have windows 8,1 and I like it :D and it might take her a few days to surface after her King's day celebrations . Why can't we have Queen's day for Lizzy ? Mind you nobody here would celebrate . Really anti English not so bad further up north near to Balmoral where they are well loved

Hope I get a better night's sleep tonight. I can see how people over dose on painkillers. I had had my day's quota last night and was climbing the walls. Clockwatching till I could take some more . Hope this private place can sort me out and not too painful both toe and purse wise :o

Night all lovely grumpies near and far x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like windows 8.1 give us a shout afternoon and I will try and help:)
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning all !

No puking last night so i think a day at home with Daddy will see Melony right.
    I watched tangled, Bolt and the jungle Book yesterday - it's a hard life! :D

Hugs all round, see you later!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning Grumpers.

I've been sick since Sunday hence my disappearance. I had lots of post-nasal drip for about a week which gave me a sore throat. I stopped taking anti-histamines over a year ago and got through allergy season no problem last year. So there I was, unmedicated, unmasked, etc. gardening away as though I'm not allergic to just about everything. Well it all caught up to me on Sunday with fever, chills,body aches, nasal congestion and a runny left eye. Thanks to twingle I had some Sudafed (can't get it here) to help me though. But yesterday it developed even further and I spent the whole day sneezing my brains out and not being able to see very well out of my eye. I also took about 20 naps during the day which is quite unusual for me. I've gone through more than a box of tissues and the muscles in my stomach hurt from all the "exercise". My King's Day was ruined but Mr.Home had to work anyway. There was a bit of humour though when I had one particularly long sneezing fit and I could hear a chorus coming from all the various neighbours in their gardens or balconies saying "Bless you" in every conceivable language.:D I bit the bullet and took an anti-histamine last night and today the sneezing is a bit better although I'm full of snot and headache and my eye doesn't look like it belongs to the rest of my face. I might even get dressed today.

Kings Day didn't seem that big this year from where I could see it from my windows. Most of neighbours seemed to have stayed home opting to entertain there rather than getting caught up in the madness in the Centruum. I didn't see much orange wearing either. I don't feel like I missed anything really.

Plum: It's great to see you! :) I hope that you get your housing sorted soon and that (not so) Little Plum and Destructopup get settled quickly in their new surroundings.

Twingle: It doesn't matter what version of Windows you have if you don't read the scanning sites carefully and click the wrong thing. That's my guess on what you did wrong. For the record, I use AVG free anti-virus and have done for the past 5 years at least. I also use Zone Alarm Pro firewall (only) and have Microsoft Security Essentials running in the background. I also have Spybot (free version) installed but not the tea-timer feature which runs all the time. I just use it about once every month as a precaution) or when something odd occurs. I've had very few software problems, maybe one a year. I would never use McAfee. I've had to reformat several computers (got paid for it so not complaining) because of it. In fact, my first port of call for trouble-shooting Windows software problems is to check and see if McAfee or Norton is running. 7 out of 10 times that's the problem. Uninstalling them and then doing a Windows repair (not reformat) usually sorts it all out. You also need to dump all of your restore points up to that time. Whenever Adobe needs to do an update it asks if you want to have a free McAfee scan. I always untick that and proceed with my update. You have to really be careful when installing downloaded software because it can be misleading as to where the free version is or full of bundled crap that you have to be careful to decline. READ EVERYTHING before you download.!

I hope that your toe gets sorted soon and I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain from it.:(

BG: I didn't read you post properly and thought that you were going to somewhere else first and then to Poland. Now I realize that it was just Poland. I hope that alll is going well for you there.:)

Yeah for Melony feeling better! I remember after one puking sickness when my kids were very small that I made the beds up with a mattress protector, sheet, mattress protector sheet, three times. That way when I was awakened by middle of the night pukes I was able to clean the kid up, take off the pukey sheets and put them (sheets not kid) in the washing machine and have a ready made bed after replacing the duvet. I also did that for my bed, too after one of them did the same as Melony did the other night. The investment in extra sheets, mattress protectors and duvets made these times much more easier to deal with and I was able to not miss too much sleep. I passed that tip on to friends who found it very helpful and started doing the same.

Hello to anyone else not specially mentioned here. I'm off to attempt a shower and getting dressed......or maybe not........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evening everyone.