Streaming from an IPad to TV

TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
Forum Member
Does anyone know how to stream from an iPad to a TV? This would enable two TVs in the same house to watch different sports on Sky at the same time on a good sized screen.

TVMIA

Comments

• SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't stream sky from iPad to TV. You can stream most other video sources/apps via Apple TV but NOT Sky Go.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I suppose then that the answer is to "view" on a laptop with an HD output directly connected to the TV.

TVM for quick reply!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Maybe I have misread the question but I stream from my Ipad to the TV all the time using the Apple adapter.I see you refer to SKY and I don't have that...but just in case you meant other sources as well such as the Iplayer, etc
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original question asks basically can you stream sky from iPad to TV - answer No.
  • ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky is one of the few on-demand services that actively and deliberately block Airplay. So, as mentioned above, there is no way to do this.

Almost everyone has a different explanation why Sky do this, but whatever their reason, it is quite sad and disappointing from them, and one of the main reason I have no interest in subscribing with Sky.

One way you may be able to do this, is by using a Laptop connected to the other TV?

Alternatively, something like the Favi Smart Stick may work (though I am not absolutely sure)
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I suppose another alternative to the laptop is to just watch on the desktop computer which has a large screen!

It does seem that everyone makes things difficult to protect their own market share, unaware of how much it annoys the users. We now have internet enabled TVs which only accept a wifi dongle of their own manufacture. And Sony, of course never had a SD card slot in any of their equipment.

Ideally I'd like a server collecting everything in one place and the means to send it everywhere. I'm sure its possible but I just don't have the energy to set about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I still do this on my 27" iMac, but the screen is still so much smaller than my 40" TV, it makes a big difference.
    That said, my 40" TV has some pretty good upscaling which makes a lot of difference with sub HD quality streams.

But year, one could just use the biggest monitor they can buy.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    ovbg wrote: »
    Sky is one of the few on-demand services that actively and deliberately block Airplay. So, as mentioned above, there is no way to do this.
    How about the TV adapters which plug directly into the iPads data/charging socket then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    How about the TV adapters which plug directly into the iPads data/charging socket then?

These are often blocked as well. I don't know about Sky, but 4oD actively blocks even the composite/component TV cables. Tried again just the other day.

I know... it's crazy and beyond comprehension.
  • ninz39ninz39 Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stream Netflix and catch up tv from my iPad to my bedroom tv, I have no arial in the bedroom so it's the only way to watch anything, I use the apple branded hdmi adapter, just plug an hdmi from the tv to the adapter...easy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^does the above work for 4oD? I have an old composite iPhone to TV adapter from Apple, and it plays with most except 4oD.
  • gonefishingonefishin Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    ninz39 wrote: »
    I stream Netflix and catch up tv from my iPad to my bedroom tv, I have no arial in the bedroom so it's the only way to watch anything, I use the apple branded hdmi adapter, just plug an hdmi from the tv to the adapter...easy

Really? I tried this and couldn't get any video to show on the TV. When I called Netflix they said it's because of a scaling issue. I suspect it's got more to do with rights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^

Netflix allows full Airplay streaming to your TV from the iPad, so if it is a license issue, it's certainly an odd one, allowing streaming to TV by Air, but not by cable.

It could be as they stated, but then, I've seen some crazy licensing in broadcasting so anything is possible.
  • nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    ^

Netflix allows full Airplay streaming to your TV from the iPad, so if it is a license issue, it's certainly an odd one, allowing streaming to TV by Air, but not by cable.

It could be as they stated, but then, I've seen some crazy licensing in broadcasting so anything is possible.

Netflix works via the iPad hdmi adaptor just fine, I use it all the time.