Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    On the school hotel's twitter page they ahve a few photos of filming, including this one... https://twitter.com/oldschoolhotel/status/327730828786409472/photo/1

Now I remember someone saying that there is a dispute between Bert and Louisa, so it seems he has gone to her office to talk about it. Now the thing I am interested in is that Louisa seems to have three framed photos on her desk. What do you think is in them? I'm going for James, and maybe a picture of her and Martin at the wedding, and maybe another shot of James. What do you guys think?

great pics of behind the scenes. Pictures on desk, 1. Wedding Pic 2. JH 3. JH and Daddy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Once he can understand why she is upset, I think he will be able to change. At the same time, she should work towards not taking it personally when he does stuff like that.

Or maybe she can just tell him beforehand "I'll have to work on the timetable for the school. It's OK to use the kitchen table, isn't it?"
    Then he knows it and can object and make a different suggestion where to work.
    Actually, I would never occupy general space in our house without informing the others - just to be sure that they don't need it.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I think it is easy to make mistaken analyses about other people, and their interactions with their own family members.

I do not see his grandfather as being cruel at all. I think DM was immediately fascinated by medicine, knew he wanted to be a doctor as well, was exceptionally intelligent from the get go, and his grandfather helped him along in the ways he knew best.

I mean, I was in third grade when our teacher killed a frog (outside away from the class) and dissected it to show how electricity moved the muscles even after it was dead. That could certainly be considered cruel, today, but as students then, we all found it massively educational and instructive.

DM knows his parents are horrendous people. If he does not have the same emotionally and intellectual feeling towards his grandfather perhaps we should note that. Perhaps his grandfather, like his AJ, actually was a decent person in his family to him. Someone may be a bad father and a loving grandfather.

I just think it can be problematic if we see things from our own POV and insist it is how DM must see it as well.
    It's not a serious analysis. It's just my comments on what I noticed about the show. My reaction was I felt sorry for him as I watched that episode. None of us really knows what the writer was trying to say. This is just my interpretation of the scene. According to people on this forum I am obviously dead wrong to think that it's not appropriate for an older relative teach him how to kill an animal. I guess you all have a different value system, but it doesn't make my opinion wrong and your's right. We're all just talking here.

I apologize if you thought I was stating you are wrong and I am right. That was not my intention. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, and it is true we all do not agree with everyone's comments. That type of discussion what the Forum is about; plus, well, you know, hoping there is sex between DM and LG. :);)
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Is this the same grandfather who wouldn't allow seven-year-old Martin to repair the watch he broke and who wouldn't allow Ruth to call him "Daddy"? It's got to be. Henry was a "respected physician" and the Ellinghams are a family of doctors. Has to be the father of Christopher, Joan, and Ruth.

I think it was a difference to Henry to give a child a frog, which did cost him nothing and could easily be replaced by another poor animal, to train the grandchild in the family profession or to trust him with a possible valuable watch, where Martin might get interest in an "inferior" trade.
    Forum Member
    He's easy on the eyes, isn't he?

And since I'm apparently in a wildly speculative mood today (see my previous post about LG's dress), does anyone else wonder if maybe this "manny" could be LG's long lost brother? Going back in my hidey hole now.

PLEASE!, no other Glasson relatives. I've quite had enough of that!:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    She said on Twitter that she looked through the book and wanted Vicky to sign it for her but Vickys hands were shaking very badly and CC said to her relax try again and huggedherq.uite a few times. Nice to know she's appreciating her young fans

Lovely! :):):)
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the clarification, PoorRichard. You could be right. Maybe BB was only there to hand over the keys to the kingdom, so to speak. Or maybe he directed some of the first things filmed and then handed over the power to someone else. It will be interesting to see how this works out. I still hope Ben Bolt remains involved.

That is my understanding as well. He popped in, but not as director - maybe as a writer (I didn't know he wasn't the director at the time and assumed he was). I have heard that the new director's name is Nigel. The Assistant Director's are the same as the last series, so some continuity.

Also more scoops from the PI informants::
    Apparently the Manny is ex-army. LG hires him, but it backfires a bit on her. Since he's a military guy, he wants everything in it's place and has rules and schedules. This ends up clashing with LG, but I am assuming that DM will love it. Hmmm. DM with an ally...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the school hotel's twitter page they ahve a few photos of filming, including this one... https://twitter.com/oldschoolhotel/status/327730828786409472/photo/1

Now I remember someone saying that there is a dispute between Bert and Louisa, so it seems he has gone to her office to talk about it. Now the thing I am interested in is that Louisa seems to have three framed photos on her desk. What do you think is in them? I'm going for James, and maybe a picture of her and Martin at the wedding, and maybe another shot of James. What do you guys think?

I'll go for 1) wedding photo 2) James and 3) a family photo of James, LG and DM together.

Great photos. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Ian McN has lost any weight.

The doctors are always on at my dh about losing weight as he's 20 kg (40 llb) over his ideal. I can't imagine how they'd be with poor Ian. My dh is finally losing weight but it is so very difficult for him I guess it's tough for Ian McN too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    That is my understanding as well. He popped in, but not as director - maybe as a writer (I didn't know he wasn't the director at the time and assumed he was). I have heard that the new director's name is Nigel. The Assistant Director's are the same as the last series, so some continuity.

Apparently the Manny is ex-army. LG hires him, but it backfires a bit on her. Since he's a military guy, he wants everything in it's place and has rules and schedules. This ends up clashing with LG, but I am assuming that DM will love it. Hmmm. DM with an ally...

Oh excellent!! Thank you so much. :D
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Oh excellent!! Thank you so much. :D

Mazie, loving your PI connection. Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »

Thank you for the scoop! Hey, do you think you'd like to live in PI for awhile? At least until filming is over? :DMaybe you could sign on as an extra. And keep sending us spoiler after spoiler after spoiler. Hah!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the afternoon the filming moved around to Large's Restaurant which was festooned with dried hops and some signage to convert it from the house it normally is to the restaurant it becomes for the series. Again access was severely restricted. I was able to hang over the wall above the restaurant and watch one scene, which involved a bad review that the restaurant had received in the newspaper (Bert and Al discussing it together) and then when I was shooed off the hill I went around to the beach and watched for a while from there -- a scene with Bert talking to a couple dining in the restaurant, and Al helping him serve.

Did you see the Old School Hotel twitter feed photos that leannethemouse mentioned today? One of them clearly shows some people hanging over the wall above Large's Restaurant trying to watch the filming. Just wondered if one of them is you.
    https://twitter.com/oldschoolhotel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I'll go for 1) wedding photo 2) James and 3) a family photo of James, LG and DM together.

Great photos. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Ian McN has lost any weight.

I agree with you about the photos. That's exactly what I thought. Wedding photo, James, family photo of all three.

In the twitter photos, Ian doesn't look like he's lost weight, does he? But in one of the facebook photos we recently saw, he does look like he's lost a lot! I guess we need a third shot to tell for sure.
    Forum Member
    I've finally downloaded the podcast and have listened to the first season. I am enjoying it tremendously. They have a good sense of humor and find the same thumbprint that I do.

Didn't someone say they use profanity? I haven't encountered any yet. It's great for commuting time.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, that's funny; the first thing I thought when I saw it was 'that's weird, she looks pregnant'. :eek: Intriguing...and if we're right....dang, they didn't let any grass grow, did they?!

When I checked the comments with the pic, someone asked Vicky the pregnancy question, and her reply was that she didn't feel anything like that.

I don't think it logical anyway, based on JH's actors' ages called for, unless they want to make DM and LG out to be rabbits! One time and bang!

OMG! just realized: that is what may have happened the first time!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, that's funny; the first thing I thought when I saw it was 'that's weird, she looks pregnant'. :eek: Intriguing...and if we're right....dang, they didn't let any grass grow, did they?!

Well, inferred sex for DM and LG is better than no sex at all. But do hope we actually get to see some rapprochement and romance. That dress looks like it could be a mumu!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH, THANK GOODNESS. I can't figure out how to zoom in on a twitter photo, but I do see a ring on her finger, and it's on the correct hand. Whew!...

Zooming in required clicking on the little double frame looking icon on the lower right of the screen, I discovered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this long haired guy directing. I didn't think it looked like Ben Bolt (even if he had grown his hair) so I asked the girl who shooed me off the hill "is that Ben Bolt"? She said "no." I said "Is he not with the series this season?" She said "there's another director." Now take that as you will: it could be that there's another director for this episode only, or for this day of filming only (maybe Ben Bolt had a temporary case of the lurgy), as it was not a direct answer to my question, but I understood her to mean that the season had another director. Maybe on April 18th Ben Bolt was giving some directorial orientation to the new guy???

Thanks, poorrichard, for giving us the conversation. Maybe it'll come clearer as the filming goes on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    They filming there now? I was in Port Issac only 10 days ago.

They started filming the end of March sometime and will be for 4 months. They are not always in the village, however, so you probably missed them.

Check out earlier pages on this forum for info or also check https://www.facebook.com/groups/DocMartin/ as starting places.
    Forum Member
    I've finally downloaded the podcast and have listened to the first season. I am enjoying it tremendously. They have a good sense of humor and find the same things funny that I do.

Didn't someone say they use profanity? I haven't encountered any yet. It's great for commuting time.

Sorry had misspelled word
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are right on here. He is well beyond anything he has ever experienced and he doesn't know what to do. He's way outside his comfort zone. He is more closed now than at any previous time in the five series - notice his frozen face, his rigid movement, his limited conversation - forget about desire, attraction, sex. He is scared to death and ANGRY at being stuck. The only person he doesn't show his anger at is his son. It's interesting to me he is in one way so confined and trapped in a smaller world and smaller emotional range, while feeling like he's beyond the fences on some kind of free-floating space walk and things are essentially out of control.

For some reason in this episode, it seemed to me their bedroom even looked smaller and somewhat claustrophobic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finally downloaded the podcast and have listened to the first season. I am enjoying it tremendously. They have a good sense of humor and find the same thumbprint that I do.

Yes that was me, on one of my critical days. I am over it, I think and you get used to it, but was a bit surprised that they then were shocked that LG actually told DM to "shut up"! Is that worse than "F... off"????? Maybe it's just an American thing that I don't get. :cool:

I started on series 5 and will go back and listen to series 1 on.

Actually I like listening to anything about DM and they stretch out each 1 hr episode to a 2 hour chat so it is great. Good insightful chat (but a lot of off track - actually totally irrelevant - comments but you get used to it) pretty much like what we do here. They don't always agree with each other which is refreshing and adds to the discussion. :cool:

They are movie/tv people though so they know a bit about filming and have a few good insights into the industry. They also, like NewPark, pick up on the music which denotes a mood change especially between LG and DM which would go totally over my head if they didn't point it out.

As you say great for listening to while commuting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this episode and have watched is more than any other DM episode. It is loaded with symbolism.

It's going to take a nuclear blast to get him to emotionally respond to her priorities. He didn't even think to ask what the cards were for. It's as though what she is doing is invisible, not just unimportant. In my house we don't just move each other's projects or work without asking them. It may seem unimportant to another person, but it's not for them to decide. It's more normal to ask rather than just moving someone's work.

As a boy, his projects were less important than the convenience of his parents. Children need validation that they are valued - and he didn't receive one iota of that. He had worked hard on that butterfly project - catching it, doing the jar and the leaves, looking up the species, only to be completely shot down by his Dad just for not knocking on the door. Did you notice that Morwenna walks into his office without knocking? He hollers "Knock!" and she just blows him off She says "Yeah, yeah next time" or something like that. He lets it go, and that is better than his father.

But he can't relate to the parallel between his butterfly project and Louisa's timetable work. He brushes it off and completely devalues her work.

Once he can understand why she is upset, I think he will be able to change. At the same time, she should work towards not taking it personally when he does stuff like that.

Yes it is surprising. You would think someone who has been hurt in this way in the past would be sensitive to other people experiencing the same thing but not DM it seems. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlooSky wrote: »
    Oh how sweet :) I'm loving all these little snapshots of filming & people visiting....getting very jealous :p I'm looking forward to the next few months when we should get loads of pics and tidbits.

As for LG's dress in this lovely photo...:eek:.well, what can I say? I think they may be taking the whole floral thing a bit too far? She never wore anything like that in S1-3. Don't know about you guys, but I don't like it :eek::(

Remember the chiffony flowered thing in S1, that she was wearing when she asked DM if he wanted to go to the dance? I still think that dress was awful and it would be hard to surpass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, largeincharge. I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw that. It's probably just a fluke, just the way the dress is hanging or the way it falls under that jacket, but still, my eyes got wide!

That was my first take, also.
    Maybe it was the realization that she was pregnant again that cued the wedding?

Grasping at straws here, I know.
This discussion has been closed.