Options

IDS on Politics show

Comments

• Options
    joseph2joseph2 Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    The man is totally heartless, I also was stunned at the easy ride he got too, usually Andrew Neill is hot on his figures but he let Ian Duncan Smith dismiss them while not being able to concretely put any others in their place.

How this miserable failed politician has any control as to others lives and incomes in any capacity astounds me.
    Even his own party wouldn't trust him to lead them into an election, they got rid of him as leader before he could.

Welfare reform needed and still needs to be done but not his heartless and discriminatory way,
    This interview today with Andrew Neill was a waste of time for me, he was able to say all he wanted to, without interruption, and in the end really say nothing at all worth listening to.
    Awful man,just awful.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,061
    Forum Member
    How many of IDS' policies are Labour planning to overturn if they win the next election?
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    How many of IDS' policies are Labour planning to overturn if they win the next election?

Well, for a start, hopefully they won't publicly demonise those on benefits to the degree this guy and his party does. That's a good start.

They talk about the unemployed like they're filth.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joseph2 wrote: »
    The man is totally heartless, I also was stunned at the easy ride he got too, usually Andrew Neill is hot on his figures but he let Ian Duncan Smith dismiss them while not being able to concretely put any others in their place.

How this miserable failed politician has any control as to others lives and incomes in any capacity astounds me.
    Even his own party wouldn't trust him to lead them into an election, they got rid of him as leader before he could.

Welfare reform needed and still needs to be done but not his heartless and discriminatory way,
    This interview today with Andrew Neill was a waste of time for me, he was able to say all he wanted to, without interruption, and in the end really say nothing at all worth listening to.
    Awful man,just awful.

the sneering way Andrew Neil speaks about the Welfare system not surprised for the easy ride he more than likely agrees with everything. That's my main concern in all this had this been a labour government the media wouldn't let the issue drop they are supposed to be saving money but the waste going on via Failed/rushed polices goes totally ignored.

I loathe Clegg for that very reason he wouldn't do business with Gordon Brown but he didn't have a problem with IDS who is a failed politician, whilst shadow work and pensions he went around various places stating a case for social reform that helped people. But he has made sure Genuine people suffer even more There is no way that Bedroom tax should have been created its just causing misery ontop of mistery.

The clues were there today in Cleggs speech about pushing for a further income tax cut he stated last year no more welfare cuts unless there was another income tax cut for the base rate. That's going to be the trade off I just wonder what deal they made this time
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Duncan Smith is a joke who should have resigned when he cowardly refused to back up his boasts of being able to live on £7 a day, which was a tacit admission that he couldn't. But he's not the problem. The DWP is. Doesn't matter who's in nominal charge of it. It's been completely and utterly discredited as a government department and should be dissolved. The ATOS debacle should have been the last straw.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Well, for a start, hopefully they won't publicly demonise those on benefits to the degree this guy and his party does. That's a good start.

They talk about the unemployed like they're filth.

Labour are going to force the long term unemployed into 'jobs' and if they refuse they will be sanctioned.

What these 'jobs' are is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    The media couldn't give a bollocks about people on welfare being demonised with fiddled figures and skewed unreliable tests. These political shows are all too matey for my liking. A good journalist would eviscerate Duncan Smith, but the problem is that the presenters of these kinds of shows like Andrew Neil are usually part of the same social circle as the politicians they interview. Media and political collusion.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media couldn't give a bollocks about people on welfare being demonised with fiddled figures and skewed unreliable tests. These political shows are all too matey for my liking. A good journalist would eviscerate Duncan Smith, but the problem is that the presenters of these kinds of shows like Andrew Neil are usually part of the same social circle as the politicians they interview. Media and political collusion.

totally agree.
    Back in 2010 we had Adam Boulton nearly going thermal on Live TV,
    what these ministers have been allowed to get away with across all the media is very scary its like the first 3 years they wanted to cut them some slack now they simply don't care.

clear wobbles have been overlooked but they obsess about plebgate
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour are going to force the long term unemployed into 'jobs' and if they refuse they will be sanctioned.

What these 'jobs' are is anyone's guess.
    The long term unemployed are already forced into the work program where they receive no additional money than their benefits. Under Labour the difference being they will be forced in to jobs pay at least the minimum wage.
  • Options
    joseph2joseph2 Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    the sneering way Andrew Neil speaks about the Welfare system not surprised for the easy ride he more than likely agrees with everything. That's my main concern in all this had this been a labour government the media wouldn't let the issue drop they are supposed to be saving money but the waste going on via Failed/rushed polices goes totally ignored.

I loathe Clegg for that very reason he wouldn't do business with Gordon Brown but he didn't have a problem with IDS who is a failed politician, whilst shadow work and pensions he went around various places stating a case for social reform that helped people. But he has made sure Genuine people suffer even more There is no way that Bedroom tax should have been created its just causing misery ontop of mistery.

The clues were there today in Cleggs speech about pushing for a further income tax cut he stated last year no more welfare cuts unless there was another income tax cut for the base rate. That's going to be the trade off I just wonder what deal they made this time

I agree with all that in your post.
    You are also right as to the wasting of funds for his changes too.
    It is also right his changes are hitting the most genuine claimants too.

I know Labour intends to get rid of the bedroom tax but I also hope if they win in 2015 that they will at the very least look at the changes atill not in operation at that time and inject some understanding and compassion to them and in their own future policy too.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Morlock wrote: »
    The Public Accounts Committee is wrong, the Office for National Statistics is wrong, the Institute for Fiscal Studies is wrong. I've never heard so much denial in the space of 20 minutes, IDS is deluded.

Perhaps God is telling him he is right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Don't bother - Billy Boy was just going through the motions. It's as if he had no control over British foreign policy and he's on gardening leave

Haha - gardening leave he may as well be.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The long term unemployed are already forced into the work program where they receive no additional money than their benefits. Under Labour the difference being they will be forced in to jobs pay at least the minimum wage.

Indeed.

As long as the jobs are paid above minimum wage and are full time permanent contracts, it seems fair enough to me.

It's not ideal, but it a damn site fairer than forcing people to work full time for no wage. Now that truly is despicable.
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IDS is loathsome. I have just been transferred from Incapacity Benefit to Employment Support Allowance. I had to give up work over ten years ago due to multiple heath problems-I can't walk and have sever deformities of my hands and spine. There is no way I could work now-I am typing this the only way I can-with my thumb.

So I filled the forms in to transfer , or rather my sister did, last June. I waited anxiously for months, every post saw me looking for the brown envelope which finally came this week. I'd been granted the benefit. So why did it take eight months? Any fool could see I can't work. I didn't have a medical so they must have contacted my GP, the very person who originally signed me off work all those years ago. What has this cost? For me it's been stressful, for the GP time consuming, for the government expensive. All to tell them what they already knew: I'm sick. They'll assess me again in two years. It's insane! It's like a punishment for being disabled.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    feckit wrote: »

Yes the nazis were known for removing the spare room subsidy.

i think you need to adjust your perspective a little.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Yes the nazis were known for removing the spare room subsidy.

i think you need to adjust your perspective a little.

You obviously saw a lot more in that picture than I did.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    It was a typical Iain Duncan Smith performance. I still cannot decide whether he is just deluding himself or whether he is deliberately trying to mislead the country.

In my opinion the principles being the benefits cap, "bedroom tax" and Universal Credit are ok. However, the evidence shows that Duncan Smith' s DWP are failing re ESA, failing re PIP, failing re UC, failing re the "bedroom tax" and failing re the Work Programme. Research from the CAB shows that the abolition of legal aid for first tier welfare appeals will lead to significantly higher costs to the taxpayer in the long run. Even re the benefits cap, the numbers affected are significantly lower than first thought and the projected savings have been lowered to around 0.05% of the total welfare bill.

Whilst Labour will be little better, it is difficult to believe that even they could mess things up as badly as Duncan Smith and his crew have done.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Just as I thought they are not really 'jobs'.

They will be tax payer funded for SIX months only.

This is just a con.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite giving a link to the programme you obviously didn't trust people enough to watch it and come to the "right" conclusion - you had to tell them what to think.

Me thinks IDS has you rattled because a lot (not all) of what he is doing is popular ........................

Apparently you didn't watch it! What nonsense you speaketh. In addition he also speaketh the hollyhocks with forked tongue.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Apparently you didn't watch it! What nonsense you speaketh. In addition he also speaketh the hollyhocks with forked tongue.

I absolutely did watch it.

Still why let the facts get in the way of one of your little rants ...................
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely did watch it.

Still why let the facts get in the way of one of your little rants ...................

Just watching it again - right back at you! The bloke can't even answer a question and clearly has no heart what so ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Just watching it again - right back at you! The bloke can't even answer a question and clearly has no heart what so ever.

I notice you didn't withdraw your false allegation, but then that would take character wouldn't it ................................
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discombobulate what do you think of Ian Duncan Smith's character? He lies or is mistaken about facts all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discombobulate what do you think of Ian Duncan Smith's character? He lies or is mistaken about facts all the time.

I think he does genuinely want to do something about the poor and disadvantaged and he does understand the problems of poverty better than many, many MPs who just pay lip service to party dogma.

Alas he does have a problem with veracity and ultimately that is his undoing.