May's anti extremists measures

Comments

• niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First they scare us. Then they take away our freedom. Then they control us.

Same old, same old.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    You can't stop extremism with a gag. The government should be promoting the positives of the West and this country and doing far more to highlight what IS has been doing.

Perhaps our governments (and their wealthy backers) been doing too much to undermine of our true strengths over the last few decades to even recognise what they are any more?
  • GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First they scare us. Then they take away our freedom. Then they control us.

Same old, same old.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    How long until these are used by the police to go against trade unions, opponents of the government and their policies and such like and not the muslim extremists ?

No they won't, stop being so daft.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    William Cash Jr is the proprietor of Spears Magazine, an influential publication aimed at high net worth individuals
    UKIP get more and more establishment every day
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member
    Best way to tackle extremism and British people joining Islamic extremist groups is to first establish what being "British" actually is. The British people don't even know. Only two weeks ago, 1.4 million of them wanted to leave. The reason people turn to Islamic extremism is because it offers a stronger identity than being "British" can, and that's caused by right AND left wing influences.
    Forum Member
    Best way to tackle extremism and British people joining Islamic extremist groups is to first establish what being "British" actually is. The British people don't even know. Only two weeks ago, 1.4 million of them wanted to leave. The reason people turn to Islamic extremism is because it offers a stronger identity than being "British" can, and that's caused by right AND left wing influences.

I think Western values are far easier to identify than something that's uniquely British. This extremism is a threat to far more than the British.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I think Western values are far easier to identify than something that's uniquely British. This extremism is a threat to far more than the British.
    The US was successful for half a century not because of the Big Stick but because people wanted to be like Americans.
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    The US was successful for half a century not because of the Big Stick but because people wanted to be like Americans.

I wonder how many old communists in the old USSR realise that they would probably have won the Cold War if they could have held it together for a few more decades.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    I didn't know that the government and CGHQ were involved in planning the murder of its citizens by bombing planes, trains buses :o

They don't. They put our national security at risk by using mass surveillance against innocent civilians.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Was just thinking if we had all this mass immigration back in 1939, the enemy would already be among us ! Nowadays it seems they are ! Our fault i suppose.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    And this one http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-news%2Fboy-12-hauled-out-class-268999&ei=U6IqVPmOHZG07Qao9ICgBw&usg=AFQjCNGAZFCDTHZHoAaREyJ_EtFF8QCwIQ&bvm=bv.76477589,d.ZGU&cad=rja Boy of 12 hauled out of class by police over David Cameron Facebook protest

A schoolboy trying to save his youth club was hauled from class after his plan to protest outside David Cameron's constituency office was spotted - by anti-terror police.

and THAT is exactly what it's about, an attempt to stifle anti Tory opinion on social media, they have already quietly introduced a gagging law,

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-tory-gagging-bill-is-passed.html

intended to go after 'organised opposition' this law will go after the individual, post something like "Cameron is a (insert expletive)" on a forum or social media site and you could be getting a knock on the door from the thought police,

Slowly slowly we are sleepwalking into a totalitarian nightmare, still, never mind, what time is the Xfactor on? and have you got the latest phone?
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Was just thinking if we had all this mass immigration back in 1939, the enemy would already be among us ! Nowadays it seems they are ! Our fault i suppose.

William Joyce could have broadcast directly from bbc headquarters. After all they let Anjem Choudry on newsnight to spread his poison.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »

"Daft" is it?
    http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/03/19/police-state-uk-the-rights-you-didnt-know-youd-lost/
    Police State UK: The Rights You Didn’t Know You’d Lost

I assume you must have heard the "boiling frog" analogy?

In case you haven't it goes "in order to boil a frog alive one doesn't just throw it into a pot of boiling water, because the frog would instantly notice that the water is too hot and would leap out.
    So you place your frog in a pan of cold water and then slowly turn up the heat, the frog is so stupid it doesn't notice the water getting hotter and will happily sit there and boil to death"
    Hows the water?
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Axtol wrote: »
    They don't. They put our national security at risk by using mass surveillance against innocent civilians.

How ? there's no point in coming out with seeping generalisations unless you can be more specific . Are you ok with mass surveillance against the guilty ?
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How ? there's no point in coming out with seeping generalisations unless you can be more specific . Are you ok with mass surveillance against the guilty ?

Guilty or suspected of being guilty? Big difference between the two.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »

What else is new?

These so-called 'extremists' don't strike me as very extreme if they're not even breaking the law.
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    We have seen misuse by the police of the current anti terrorist legislation. So what makes you think this will not be abused too?
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    So exactly how much mass immigration have you seen in Stanley?
    Forum Member

There isn't such a thing. Mass surveillance as the name implies is not directed surveillance against a specific group of people eg criminal but against an entire society. Mass surveillance will affect the guilty but it will also affect the innocent and that's the problem I have with it. You have to balance security with liberty, it's about keeping people safe from terrorists while also keeping people safe from the threat of unreasonable government interference and snooping.

I've never heard a single good reason why a government should be allowed to deliberately spy on innocent civilians. There is none. We live in a country where if you want to be safe from government snooping online you need to take steps similar to Iranian dissidents when they go online. Is that really acceptable for a society that prides itself on democracy and liberty?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Daft" is it?
    http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/03/19/police-state-uk-the-rights-you-didnt-know-youd-lost/

I assume you must have heard the "boiling frog" analogy?

In case you haven't it goes "in order to boil a frog alive one doesn't just throw it into a pot of boiling water, because the frog would instantly notice that the water is too hot and would leap out.
    So you place your frog in a pan of cold water and then slowly turn up the heat, the frog is so stupid it doesn't notice the water getting hotter and will happily sit there and boil to death"
    Hows the water?

Nope, sorry.
    I don't see how this will infringe on any of my civil liberties in any way.
    What do you get up to that you feel will be impacted by these measures?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    We have seen misuse by the police of the current anti terrorist legislation. So what makes you think this will not be abused too?

Sorry, can't see it being used against me, but then again I'm just a normal law abiding citizen.
    Forum Member
    Sorry, can't see it being used against me, but then again I'm just a normal law abiding citizen.

That's what everyone says but ultimately you don't decide if what you do is legal or not. Many on here will remember living in a time when homosexuality was illegal. You were deemed a criminal simply for engaging in consensual sex with another adult. What if a future government felt the same as the government back then did. It's a wake up call to people who think that "I haven't done anything wrong I have nothing to worry about" you might not think you're doing anything wrong but the government may have different ideas and they ultimately decide if you're "wrong" or not.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Yvette Cooper rolled out her usual "this doesn't go far enough" soundbite?