Options

Samsung HD Ready Slimfit CRT: New Information

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes:

Is this HD CRT waffle still going on? All this time and no one has anything concrete on it? A website with full details? A price? a release date?

:yawn:
  • Options
    counterstrikecounterstrike Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    partridge wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Is this HD CRT waffle still going on? All this time and no one has anything concrete on it? A website with full details? A price? a release date?

:yawn:

At the moment three prices are available online (see below).

Samsung gave a release date of May but PRC direct were contacted and they thought they would have some around 27 April

Price 1
    http://ws1.prcdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=WS32Z409TQX
    £429.00 delivered

Price 2
    http://www.robinsonselectric.co.uk/samsung.asp
    £422.86 + Delivery

Price 3
    http://www.clubstores.co.uk/newinfo.php?club=fli&item=WS32Z409TQX
    £398.77 delivered

Manual
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200603/20060331212821625_AA68-03784A-01Eng_0329.pdf

Samsung UK holding page for this model
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/crt/WS32Z409Tqxxeu.asp

Spec so far posted on AV forum

HD READY
    Picture size : 32"
    Pure flat screen : YES
    Aspect Ratio : 16:9
    DNle : NO
    Input Signal Type : 1080i (HD) / 576p(SD) 480p(SD) 720p(HD) 576i (analog) 480i (analog)
    Digital noise reduction : YES
    Low noise amplifer : NO
    Auto Kinetic Bias : YES
    Color tone Control : YES
    Audio output (RMS) : 20W
    Nicam/A2/AV Stereo : YES/ YES/ YES
    Virtual dolby : NO
    Turbo sound : Turbo
    Auto Volume leveler : YES
    Double window : NO
    PIP (picture in picture) : NO
    Multi PIP Channel scan : NO
    Teletext : 750
    Still Picture : YES
    on/off timer : YES
    Sleep timer : YES
    Plug and play : YES
    Absent Power off : YES
    Auto power off : YES
    Auto Wide : YES
    Connections : Front (side) Av in / S-video in : Rear : HDMI (1), RF(1), Component in, 2 scart, AV in :NO
    Av monitor out : NO
    Accessory : Option
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stand corrected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    "With reference to your email regarding your TV, we can confirm that the X confirms the feature is not available and the O confirms that the feature is present on the model."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member

Its a generic manual as almost every page states "depending on the model"

Its interesting how this EU brochure lists the new Slimfit as not having DNIe, PiP, Virtual Dolby or SRS TruSurround XT.

http://i3.tinypic.com/w22elk.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Just noticed that Club Stores has increased the price on their web site from £399.77 to £429.98,

So it seems the price is settling out at around £430.

Joe
  • Options
    amstereofanamstereofan Posts: 1,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joemit wrote:
    Just noticed that Club Stores has increased the price on their web site from £399.77 to £429.98,

So it seems the price is settling out at around £430.

Joe

OMG it's now £482.85 :eek: :eek: :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Correction!!

£490.35 delivered!!! What on earth is going on???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    <Voice=Caroline>They're Heeerrree.</Voice>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dylan_sky+ wrote:
    Correction!!

£490.35 delivered!!! What on earth is going on???

The so called reason why I rung them was Samsung - supply is limiled so this has forced the price up

Shame I was set to buy one but I guess I will settle for the 42 toshiba everyone wants as well, this one now not due until the end of May :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm just gonna be patient and see how the public and tech gurus alike perceive this new Samsung as the previous model was atrocious with terrible geometry.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Sooo glad I went and exchanged my sammy slimfit for a LCD. Best move ever. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Rd100Rd100 Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was the old slim fit,
    call100 wrote:
    Sooo glad I went and exchanged my sammy slimfit for a LCD. Best move ever. :D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it might be a turkey and the saving of £300 over an LCD probably isn't worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rd100 wrote:
    that was the old slim fit,
    I know that!!! :rolleyes: However theres no evidence yet to say that the problems encountered there have been eradicated in the new one.
    I am grateful to it though because it helped me in the initial decision to go LCD. :)
    I think we will all be glad when someone gets one of these and ends all the speculation..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote:
    I know that!!! :rolleyes: However theres no evidence yet to say that the problems encountered there have been eradicated in the new one.
    I am grateful to it though because it helped me in the initial decision to go LCD. :)
    I think we will all be glad when someone gets one of these and ends all the speculation..

32" is too small for a real HD experience, 42" min IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    32" is too small for a real HD experience, 42" min IMO
    Not really. HD looks great on mine. As ever its dependent on many things. Distance, Space etc.
    Someone with a 60" will think your 42" to be too small. The new 100" out soon (beating the current 87" leader" will make other LCD's look like portables.

However while I don't think this new CRT will cut the mustard all round. I hope for those wanting to stick with CRT that it gives something.. :)
  • Options
    counterstrikecounterstrike Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    http://avzombie.com/blog/2006/04/25/samsung-launches-cheap-hd-ready-crt-tv/

Samsung launches cheap HD Ready CRT TVs

Samsung will introduce two 32inch HD Ready CRT TVs in June. The new Z4 screens have received high definition certification from EICTA, the European Industry Association for Information Systems, Communication Technologies and Consumer Electronics, and will be sold as affordable HD (720p and 1080i) alternatives to both plasma and LCD. “We know these are stop-gap products to a certain extent,” says Rob Shaw, Samsung’s product manager for CRT, “but they are currently a really affordable way to enjoy high definition TV - and these screens are great for sports.”

The two models are short-neck Slimfit CRTs, and take up less space than conventional tubed TVs. They are styled to resembled flatscreens when viewed from the front.
    The WS32Z4419D (pictured above) has an HDMI input and integrated Freeview tuner and is expected to sell for around £550. The £500 WS32Z409TQ is basically the same set, with an analogue tuner instead of Freeview. Other features include 100Hz picture processing, multi PIP scan and digital noise reduction

http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2006/04/samsung_debuts_.html#more

Samsung debuts HD-Ready CRTs
    Previously, High Definition has been the exclusive playground for the likes of LCD and Plasma; ageing CRT technology has never had a look in. That is, until Samsung revealed its plan to bring out a cheap HD Ready CRT telly at CeBIT earlier in the year. Now two 32” models have just received HD certification and are going on sale for £550 and £500 depending on whether you opt for a digital or analogue tuner.

The WS32Z4419D and WS32Z409TQ are essentially identical in all other regards. They have an HDMI socket and are engineered to be a bit thinner than traditional CRTs thanks to Slimfit technology. It’s not entirely clear what level of HD they are capable of – I think it’s 1080i but we’ll have to wait for some more concrete specs to come out.

Although it will be worth hanging around until we can see the actual picture quality, these cheap alternatives look like a great way of enjoying some High Definition viewing without forking out for a more expensive technology such as LCD. And LCD itself could soon be bettered by the likes of SED. Plus you can hold back until some more 1080p tellies start hitting the shelves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like prc-direct have removed the TV from their website.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Eiji wrote:
    Looks like prc-direct have removed the TV from their website.

I enquired as to its availability a couple of days ago and was informed "stock will be with us within 3 weeks".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its £499.99 at digiuk.com

http://www.digiuk.com/productdetail.asp?id=6703

Not in stock yet though. I really hope that not every online retailer sells this TV for £500. I'd be happy with £400 ~ £430.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I sell Tvs for a living ie crt's lcd's and Plasma's
    The only Lcd tv i have been impressed with is the Toshiba
    32WLT66 actually ideal for Hd and superb through Dvd
    but at a price of £900 +
    Then i find out about this Samsung ws532z409t!!
    I phoned samsung as we have an acount with then they are available at the end of May and the RRP IS £405.00!!!!!!!!!!
    There are 2 models one with freeview one without
    the ws532z409t is the one without freeview at rrp £405.00!! according to the sales agent at Samsung.
    Now this is very interesting if and repeat if the picture is good ie like a crt is and hd is good as well then Lcd's are in real trouble also this crt has a slimmer design to it as well,
    Watch the prices of Lcd's Plummit if this crt is the Dogs,
    I have waited to get an Lcd i want one i was tempted to get the toshiba one but with this coming out at that price
    i think i will go for the samsung also - minus my staff discout
    i can pick it up for £344.00!!!! instead of forking out about £850 for the tosh, so my tv drive might be plugged into another crt afterall!! we will see :o
  • Options
    HummyownerHummyowner Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Listed on Comet Website @£449.99 plus del from £16.95 :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I get teletext (normal) to work on this TV if I view a digital channel?
    It should be able to overlay the VBI from analogue tuner. That would probably add £5 to price of TV, not a lot to ask for.
    Seems shame I would have to view the channel on analogue 14:9 just to get teletext. Defeats point of new widescreen TV.
    Why don't they broadcast teletext (normal) on digital? It takes very little bandwidth! Less than 10th of 1Mbit.
  • Options
    Forum Member