Options

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member

What the motivation is to continue to watch a programme to criticise, unpaid, is beyond me. Do these people enjoy pissing on other's chips in real life? Do they constantly seek attention? Do they have any friends?

Whereas Ricky Gervais is your good friend because he once re-tweeted you?
  • Options
    Sclark78Sclark78 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    If you think it's crap then why a) watch it? and b) analyse it on an online forum?
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sclark78 wrote: »
    If you think it's crap then why a) watch it? and b) analyse it on an online forum?

Wouldn't you get a bit bored if every thread about TV shows on DS was full of contributions like this?
    • I loved it!
    • Great show.
    • Best ever
    • Superb!

I know I would.

My feeling on the way the discussion has gone is this. If someone doesn't like a show as much as I do and they tell me, I don't let it bother me. Like those who suggest FMs not watching shows they hate, those FMs who don't like the contributions of certain posters can always take their own advice and use the ignore function.

I like Derek, but there are bits about it that annoy me, when I mentioned it the other week I was accused of going out of my way to find fault. There are some threads on DS where any criticism is met with such rabid defence that I'm not surprised some people may deliberately try and stir things.
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy reading people's criticisms of the show, even if i enjoy it. Absolutely nothing to get het up about. It's good to get different perspectives. I can see why it would annoy people though, but that's the nature of DS.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sclark78 wrote: »

I might be sticking my neck out a bit here but I believe that to analyse TV shows is the very purpose of this forum and the very reason why there are posts in it.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be sticking my neck out a bit here but I believe that to analyse TV shows is the very purpose of this forum and the very reason why there are posts in it.

Nobody questions that people have a perfect right to criticise if that's what they want to do or this is the platform do it if you love having a crowd of dozens. It's not puzzlement at the need to do it in the first place but the need to then do it again and again and again and........

This also applies to Miranda, Mrs Browns Boys etc etc
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Wouldn't you get a bit bored if every thread about TV shows on DS was full of contributions like this?
    • I loved it!
    • Great show.
    • Best ever
    • Superb!
    I know I would.
    Can't believe that you posted that. It's almost exactly what I was thinking about posting when I logged in. :eek:
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sons neighbour who is a professional actress plays one of the elderly dears in "Derek". She's 90 years old now but fit as a fiddle and a really lovely lady. She told us that Gervais got the idea for "Derek" as his parents used to own a home for the elderly when he was a child.

Her biggest role was in the original Star Wars.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been catching up on this it's great and very moving which surprised me, I'm not a fan of Ricky Gervais really but I have to say he plays the part brilliantly.
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody questions that people have a perfect right to criticise if that's what they want to do or this is the platform do it if you love having a crowd of dozens. It's not puzzlement at the need to do it in the first place but the need to then do it again and again and again and........

This also applies to Miranda, Mrs Browns Boys etc etc

Quite. The point has been made quite adequately in my view. FMs will not change their own view by being sledgehammered.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    There will be a second series.

Excellent.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    Great news! It's been one of the British TV highlights of the last 3 or 4 years IMO.
  • Options
    babspankybabspanky Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked last week's when Derek said he liked making people laugh.The gist of it was sometimes they laugh with him and sometimes at him but he didn't care as long as it made them happy.
    Kinda make me feel humble.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good news that the show has a second series.:)
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    My sons neighbour who is a professional actress plays one of the elderly dears in "Derek". She's 90 years old now but fit as a fiddle and a really lovely lady. She told us that Gervais got the idea for "Derek" as his parents used to own a home for the elderly when he was a child.

Her biggest role was in the original Star Wars.

what's her name ?
  • Options
    LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Margaret Towner?
  • Options
    David1964David1964 Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    There will be a second series.

Excellent.
    roger_50 wrote: »
    Great news! It's been one of the British TV highlights of the last 3 or 4 years IMO.
    leeruk wrote: »
    good news that the show has a second series.:)

It would be good to extend each episode next series to at least 45 mins, maybe even an hour, to allow the story to develop, they seem to have been a bit rushed this time. IMO
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David1964 wrote: »
    It would be good to extend each episode next series to at least 45 mins, maybe even an hour, to allow the story to develop, they seem to have been a bit rushed this time. IMO

Definately agree. Its hard to make head nor tail of it when the episodes are so short and he tries to rap it all up in such a short space of time. I like the show, but it needs some tweaking for sure.
  • Options
    LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I've finally caught up with Derek after having the episodes on Sky Plus. I think it has been really good, I saw alot of reports saying that Derek was Gervais making fun of the disabled and was cruel. Well personally i think its been the opposite! I think its actually been positive, how caring is the character of Derek? All he wants is for the elders to be happy, even if its at his own expense. In fact how caring have all the people been who work in the home....even Kev to an extent

What the show has highlighted is how poorly we treat our elders.....in terms of 'family' just deserting them, and how well the majority of care staff wether paid or volunteers treat them. My favourite scene was when Karl Pilkingtons character had a rant at the 'daughter' who'd never visited her mother but was suddenly there when she died claiming all the family silver like a magpie.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    Margaret Towner?

oh , she's in The Phantom Menace .
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what's her name ?
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    Margaret Towner?
    Sorry.......only just seen your posts. Yes her name is Margaret but I don't know her surname. Here is a photo I took of her at my Grandsons 1st birthday last September. My son and D-i-l think the world of her and she was the only non-family member invited.

She has lived through a fascinating life and as a big interest of mine is WW2 history, she is a walking talking history book. A very nice lady but amazingly modest.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people just say its rubbish etc. but don't say why.

Is it the acting? The script? The subject matter?

If you're going to do that, please enlighten everyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people don't like it because it's not as laugh-out-loud funny as, say, Extras. It's enjoyable and feel good and moderately funny which makes it a good show, but I think people see Gervais and are expecting every scene to be like Ian McKellen's guide to acting.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    Some people just say its rubbish etc. but don't say why.

Is it the acting? The script? The subject matter?

If you're going to do that, please enlighten everyone.

Or could it be that it's a 53 page thread and you've not read it all? :D

Numerous people have said the show has been ruined by Gervais' acting.

Repeated plotlines, manipulative use of the soundtrack and lack of direction have also been mentioned.