Why does DOI have such poor camera work?

VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the recent world championship showed, there are people who can film skaters moving rapidly over the ice without
  • suddenly going to so distant a shot that you can barely see the skaters
  • leaving one of a pair out of the picture entirely
  • switching to an 'artistic' shot of the lights
  • swirling the camera around to make the motion more 'dramatic'
  • forgetting feet.

So why does DOI do all those things almost every skate? :confused:

Comments

• olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    As the recent world championship showed, there are people who can film skaters moving rapidly over the ice without
    • forgetting feet.

probably for the same reasons that SCD insist on showing the couples from the waist upwards, forgetting about the feet and why we always see shots of the "guest performer" when there is some gorgeous dancing going on which we dont get to see :D:rolleyes:
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Proper" skating competitions (and dance competitions) are filmed by camera operators who are trained to film such as sports events. They know the priority is to show the competing couples as clearly as possible and not to try and be "clever" with special effects etc. Unfortunately, the camera operators who film DOI or SCD are probably just used to filming shows and fun events, and see both shows as such.

I do think the lighting effects on DOI detracts from the performances; sometimes they are so overpowering I don't even want to watch.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    "Proper" skating competitions (and dance competitions) are filmed by camera operators who are trained to film such as sports events. They know the priority is to show the competing couples as clearly as possible and not to try and be "clever" with special effects etc. Unfortunately, the camera operators who film DOI or SCD are probably just used to filming shows and fun events, and see both shows as such.

I do think the lighting effects on DOI detracts from the performances; sometimes they are so overpowering I don't even want to watch.

Some things, such as the sudden shift to a very distant shot, happen so regularly that they seem more deliberate policy; and some seem due to switching from one camera's view to another's. So it doesn't seem to be down to individual camera operators who just aren't trained in how to film skating or are just doing whatever they want.

And surely it should be obvious to the people who make DOI that a show that asks people to vote ought to show what the contestants actually do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some things, such as the sudden shift to a very distant shot, happen so regularly that they seem more deliberate policy; and some seem due to switching from one camera's view to another's. So it doesn't seem to be down to individual camera operators who just aren't trained in how to film skating or are just doing whatever they want.

And surely it should be obvious to the people who make DOI that a show that asks people to vote ought to show what the contestants actually do.

Think it's precisely to avoid showing what the contestants actually do and particularly the very slow speeds at which they are doing it. They don't want you comparing them to 'real' skaters as the whole show is about trying to make the celebs look as good as possible when they are really very beginner skaters with very few skills to show. :) Sometimes the pretty lights really are more interesting than whatever the celebs are managing to do.

However I agree with you that the camera work is horrible and I'd rather see just how bad the celebs are than how pretty the lighting effects are. :)
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are right it Should be obvious, but ...... :(:(.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    icedragon wrote: »
    Think it's precisely to avoid showing what the contestants actually do and particularly the very slow speeds at which they are doing it.

I was thinking exactly this this afternoon when I was watching some of the YouTubes of T&D's routines, the camerawork really allowed you to see the speed at which they skated and their footwork whereas the DOI camerawork whizzes around to compensate for the fact the contestants don't!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member

Then again sometimes they tell you you can vote before they even do it!
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    • forgetting feet.

Agree. At times the judges seem to spend half their time talking about thngs we can't see or judge, and half making up something different to what we did see.

I wonder what the routine is. It was striking on the old Fame Academy how simple singing routines without that much movement were designed to allow and with camera shots in mind and then practiced to allow the control room to work out their camera shots and switches in advance. We only ever hear of one dress rehearsal for DOI. Do they actually run it through and work out whats needed in advance, or just follow, or not follow, the action on the night???
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Think many things already said come into play. It's also a small ice surface and surrounding area compared to a competition rink.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    Think many things already said come into play. It's also a small ice surface and surrounding area compared to a competition rink.

The smaller rink ought to make it easier, rather than harder.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. At times the judges seem to spend half their time talking about thngs we can't see or judge, and half making up something different to what we did see.

I wonder what the routine is. It was striking on the old Fame Academy how simple singing routines without that much movement were designed to allow and with camera shots in mind and then practiced to allow the control room to work out their camera shots and switches in advance. We only ever hear of one dress rehearsal for DOI. Do they actually run it through and work out whats needed in advance, or just follow, or not follow, the action on the night???

There is camera blocking and rehearsals which are done on the Saturday and then there is the last run throughs/dress rehearsal before the live show on the Sunday.

In theory all the camera work should be planned ahead of the show however I guess with it being live things maybe get changed as they go along.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    The smaller rink ought to make it easier, rather than harder.

I wasn't suggesting that it would be harder per se, indeed I'd have thought that each scenario presents its own challenges. In terms specifically of a small space, however, it might be tighter angles as opposed to the challenges of making full use of a larger space. Skills and experience are bound to come into it also.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've often assumed the overhead shots are designed to try to impress, but perhaps they are more a function of lack of scope for filming around the whole perimiter.