Options

Sooo... XBox One without Kinect

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You never were forced to use the Kinect. They reversed the 'Kinect needs to be plugged in' well before launch. Mine hasn't even seen the light of day. Never even took it out to look at it. Could be damaged for all I know (care).

My point was that game developers could make it a required feature in their game knowing that every XB1 owner has a kinect but doing that now would be very unlikely.
  • Options
    sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Is the Skype ability not at least part of a reason to own it ?

I don't use Skype personally but guess many do.

Like yourself, I don't use Skype, so I don't know. But, if people already have that option on the X1, and still they'd rather buy the console kinectless...
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does xbox1 have a video editor like ps4,? You know like win movie maker deal ?

This is partly why we now want a camera for ps4. My son wants to make little videos and with the ability to do pic in pic the camera is now wanted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was reading about these wifi light dimmers the other day, and I think that if MS could implement features like these, then Kinect would become a must have feature for me (eventually).
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah thats what red Arrow has been saying, which is frustrating if you had bought into it and hoped something AAA would come out.

Hopefully Sony don't try to be smart asses about it. They need to devote their time to fixing the shody fw they released, as well as coming good on what they promised before release.

just while i think on..

when playing a BD, you decide to press the ps button, didnt it used to say

"do you want to stop playing the disc?"

that seems to have disappeared..and you just get a black screen.

or is that just me?
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure digi. I've yet to play a bluray on my ps4. I only own about 4 as don't buy them any more
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    If they reversed it before launch, then they should have given people the chance to buy the console kinectless.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have. I didn't want the Kinect (that's why I never connected it) and would much preferred to pay less for the solus. But I've never had a problem with the console and have had 7 months of entertainment. So I can't complain about any price drops or Kinectless bundles now, it's too late for me.
    Gormond wrote: »
    My point was that game developers could make it a required feature in their game knowing that every XB1 owner has a kinect but doing that now would be very unlikely.

But then you'd get them including pointless achievements for using it, a la Forza 4 which I can never 100% unless I buy or borrow a Kinect 1.0.
    And what about multi-plats? Do they have to include coding for the PS Eye too?
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure digi. I've yet to play a bluray on my ps4. I only own about 4 as don't buy them any more

thanks m8, im mainly watching Blurays at the moment
    :blush:
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    This coupled with several great exclusives announced at E3 and they should close the gap.
    Sunset Overdrive looks amazing but im wanting some other big name devs.
  • Options
    cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well despite this unexpected news today I hope Microsoft hit big at E3 because my Xbox One is here to stay. I made a promise never to sell another console, the amount of Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles last generation that I bought and sold and then bought again then sold was unreal and there is no way I am doing that again this generation. My Xbox One is here to stay now no matter what happens but that's not to say I won't also have a PS4 before the end of the year. I am rubbish at gaming but I do love it. :)
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think £349 is still too expensive.

Firstly, it represents poor value compared to bundles already available.

Secondly, it's the same price as a PS4 (which is seen as a more powerful system) but there's also nothing to stop Sony undercutting the price, even by £20, leaving Xbox One looking comparatively expensive again.

It's certainly a step in the right direction, and with the right exclusives they could sway buyers, but I think there's still more to do.

One further thing to note re: Games For Gold - **Free Games Offer: For paid Gold members only. On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded. - basically it's the same as PS+ now.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One further thing to note re: Games For Gold - **Free Games Offer: For paid Gold members only. On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded. - basically it's the same as PS+ now.

So games for gold is now just a "rental service"? Oh dear I know of at least one poster whose main stick to bash the PS4 has just blown up in his face spectacularly. :D I wonder will he make an appearance?
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So games for gold is now just a "rental service"?

Just posted in the xbox forum on this, but yes it's rental for the Xbone only (atm?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So games for gold is now just a "rental service"? Oh dear I know of at least one poster whose main stick to bash the PS4 has just blown up in his face spectacularly. :D I wonder will he make an appearance?

Not seen him on for a bit.

On a DS holiday?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seen him on for a bit.

On a DS holiday?

He was, but is allowed back now.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was, but is allowed back now.

Well I hope he is back, the place is better off with him. Aside from his Jihad against anything anti-Microsoft he is a decent bloke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I hope he is back, the place is better off with him. Aside from his Jihad against anything anti-Microsoft he is a decent bloke.

Absolutely. I may not always agree with his "extremest" views, but you have to admire his passion for gaming.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the people going on about the price and comparing it to the bundles are missing the point.

The bundles have a higher RRP and have been reduced by the stores selling them.

The £349 is the RRP announced by Microsoft however you can guarantee that stores will reduce it pretty much straight away to compete with the bundles they are already selling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd honestly like to ask a few questions to any X1 owners: are there any multi-platform games that you think (or know) play better on the X1 ?

Do you think that the X1 offers a richer gaming experience than the ps4 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the people going on about the price and comparing it to the bundles are missing the point.

The bundles have a higher RRP and have been reduced by the stores selling them.

The £349 is the RRP announced by Microsoft however you can guarantee that stores will reduce it pretty much straight away to compete with the bundles they are already selling.

How much do you see stores selling the stand alone Kinect for ?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three welcome moves. It kills Kinect, though.

Having Netflix etc. behind the Gold paywall was always a joke, given that *every other console and device* with Netflix etc. let you use them without an additional sub.

MS really needs to do something with the UI, though, now. It can no longer just assume that people will use voice control instead of drilling down through the menus. Bring back the Guide!

Also...

- Auto sign-in without Kinect is a priority now.

- Game DVR / Upload / Upload Studio need some form of Kinectless solution. How will people without Kinect record 30 second clips? How will people without Kinect use upload Studio and share to OneDrive or YouTube?

Red Arrow wrote: »
    But would any developer take the risk now? Apart from MS as a developer or publisher I don't see anyone else making a Kinect only game in the future.

Exactly.

There was sod all support for Kinect even when *everyone* had one, so why would any dev ever bother at all now that it's not bundled?
  • Options
    cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd honestly like to ask a few questions to any X1 owners: are there any multi-platform games that you think (or know) play better on the X1 ?

I own an Xbox One and have also played on a PS4 and I cannot tell the difference game wise. The reasons why I am liking the Xbox One over the PS4 is strangely because it gets DLC and other things quicker, take the maps for Ghosts for example and i'l bet it gets Minecraft before PS4 :)
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    But would any developer take the risk now? Apart from MS as a developer or publisher I don't see anyone else making a Kinect only game in the future.

Until VR headsets become the norm I can't see a Kinect game as being a console seller. Once we have VR headsets though I can really see the advantages of having Kinect as a means of control.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I honestly don't see any difference. All the talk of 30/60fps 720/1080p both of my new gen consoles play great and look great. The earlier access to dlc is plus point for xbox whereas PS seems to get extra missions and such in the vanilla game. ( why I'm getting watchdogs on ps4)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't see any difference. All the talk of 30/60fps 720/1080p both of my new gen consoles play great and look great. The earlier access to dlc is plus point for xbox whereas PS seems to get extra missions and such in the vanilla game. ( why I'm getting watchdogs on ps4)

So, with you owning both consoles, which one do you have the majority of multi-platforms on ?