Happy Valley - Tues 29th April BBC One

Comments

• fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantelpit wrote: »
    And "rest bite '

Its amazing what you learn, even at my age!! Ive never written it down before, only said it, so I always thought it was tender hooks, not tenterhooks!!!
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really surprised you haven't heard of Sarah. She seems to be in most Northern dramas and has been for the last 10+ years. I've always liked her. A superb, versatile actor who deserves all the accolades thrown her way.

Well I don't watch Coronation Street, maybe that's the reason.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Well I don't watch Coronation Street, maybe that's the reason.

She left Corrie about 15 years ago.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mm, Ok, well I can't think what the reason is. I live outside the UK so maybe I just don't catch certain shows being an hour ahead - and... I am a bit of a BBC 4 fan too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    She might not have been able to get radio reception in the cellar because the walls on the houses in that area are often quite thick, which might stop transmission?
  • FriedGoldFriedGold Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    This programme makes all the praise that Broadchurch got look a little bit silly. I enjoyed Broadchurch but up to this point Happy Valley blows it out of the water in every department.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FriedGold wrote: »
    I enjoyed Broadchurch but up to this point Happy Valley blows it out of the water in every department.

I agree.
    I am watching it without talking to my OH at all, that for me personally speaks volumes as I am a chatter during shows.
    I think this is Sarahs best performance ever, what a great script for them all as actors.
  • FriedGoldFriedGold Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I love that they've resolved the kidnapping with two episodes left. Prey and True Detective both made the mistake of finishing off with a late set piece ending, leaving themselves a bit of a cliched disappointment. Of course we've yet to see HV's ending, but it would have been extremely easy to finish with the heroic Hollywood rescue.

Other than Sarah Lancashire's astonishing acting, the writing, the direction, the setting are all superb but I think the sound design has been absolute perfection. That sinister repetitive beeping of the police radio sends shivers down my spine.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Is this why there has been such a prominent actor in the up until now, minor support role as sister? Is she about to go postal vigilante?
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Yep. The beeb have started publishing some as part of "the writer's room". There are a couple of hundred available:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/

Thanks for sharing Platelet :)
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    He has the same menace that Paul Bettany displayed in Gangster No 1

Spot on!
  • BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I've just watched all four episodes today and I think this is the best drama I've seen since Broadchurch. Fantastic acting - apart from Steve Pemberton - who I think is overacting.

The ending to the last episode - wow! Roll on Tuesday!!!
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

Longer than that! She left Curly in 1995. Nearly 20 years. Crikey!

She returned for their 2 hander New Years eve 1999.
    She was superb in that episode. I remember to this day the praise her performance got, and the surprise to many that she could do drama as brilliantly as comedy.
  • iprodiprod Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Late to the party because I missed episode one and then didn't bother until this week, when I started reading about how gripping the programme is so I've managed to find four hours since Thursday and caught up on iplayer and oh my goodness.... what a truly brilliant performance from SL. Great storyline... have yelled at the pooter screen on more than one occasion with all the story "near misses". I really enjoyed The Fall, despite feeling unsettled by it, especially when he seems to have gotten away with it at the end (roll on series two!) but I just had this feeling that SL would triumph in this new show. I do hope they don't bump her off as I'd love to see a second series....
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    I've just watched all four episodes today and I think this is the best drama I've seen since Broadchurch. Fantastic acting - apart from Steve Pemberton - who I think is overacting.

The ending to the last episode - wow! Roll on Tuesday!!!

I personally think he's got it spot on, but then we all see things differently. I think Joe Armstrong who plays Ashley has been the least convincing actor. He is involved in a murder and a kidnapping and he seems to be acting as if it's just a bit of bother that he can talk his way out of. (and I'm a big fan of his normally).
  • ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally Wainwright is in discussions with BBC
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    As Catherine slides down the window, Ann screams "Dont do that!" over and over till Catherine collapses on the floor.

I thought she was saying 'get in the car':confused:

I have not signed in here for a long time but had to just to add my congratulations to the BBC and Sarah for this. I missed the first episode and was not going to watch but gave the second episode a go. I have been hooked since and have been wishing my life away waiting the each episode since! It is damn near perfect telly.
  • Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bitchy_me wrote: »
    I thought she was saying 'get in the car':confused:

I have not signed in here for a long time but had to just to add my congratulations to the BBC and Sarah for this. I missed the first episode and was not going to watch but gave the second episode a go. I have been hooked since and have been wishing my life away waiting the each episode since! It is damn near perfect telly.

It was definitely "don't do that". I watch most dramas with subtitles on as my hearing is quite poor for dialogue (although this drama has been clearer than most).
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the 1st episode, the next 3 today.
    Outstanding BBC drama.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    the DM has tried to encourage its readers to complain about the level of violence...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2635491/A-gruesome-murder-country-road-savage-beating-basement-bathed-blood-Did-BBCs-brutal-Happy-Valley-far.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

but just about all the comments are as positive about the show as we've been here!

K

The Daily Heil is desperate for any pathetic excuse to attack the BBC and so went with feeble comments from Mediawatch, spawned by sixties 'moral' crusader Mary Whitehouse.

The overwhelming praise for the series has, however, made them look like the biased hypocrites they are - and Sally Wainwright herself has now waded into slap them down, too …

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/may/25/happy-valley-bbc-violence-sally-wainwright

HV is the best drama on BBC One in a LONG time …
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    The Daily Heil is desperate for any pathetic excuse to attack the BBC and so went with feeble comments from Mediawatch, spawned by sixties 'moral' crusader Mary Whitehouse.

The overwhelming praise for the series has, however, made them look like the biased hypocrites they are - and Sally Wainwright herself has now waded into slap them down, too …

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/may/25/happy-valley-bbc-violence-sally-wainwright

HV is the best drama on BBC One in a LONG time …

I wouldn't have too much of a hissy fit at the Mail. They were only reporting that some people thought the violence was gratuitous. I commented on it myself after the first episode (on here). And people do get off on it.

Every week The Mail give it a top preview plug.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    I wouldn't have too much of a hissy fit at the Mail. They were only reporting that some people thought the violence was gratuitous. I commented on it myself after the first episode (on here). And people do get off on it.

Every week The Mail give it a top preview plug.

There's a big difference between commenting and complaining. The Mail are claiming there were complaints which there weren't.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    There's a big difference between commenting and complaining. The Mail are claiming there were complaints which there weren't.
    The so-called complaint they quoted from a poster on the BBC POV board was quoted out of context with posts from others and therefore suggested a totally different perspective than was intended. It wasn't a complaint.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to move away from the Daily fail for a sec, is happy Valley filmed in HD? as is labeled white on my sky box (meaning sd or upscaled) it looked HD to me while I've been watching it..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Just to move away from the Daily fail for a sec, is happy Valley filmed in HD? as is labeled white on my sky box (meaning sd or upscaled) it looked HD to me while I've been watching it..

The BBC wouldn't show it on BBC One HD if it was filmed in SD. They are very pernickety about that.