Daphne Quits Eggheads ?

2»

Comments

• marieofromaniamarieofromania Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Loved Daphne on Eggheads. Her voice was very strange, though. Like a female Dalek speaking so... slowly. ;-)

As mentioned, I think most of her wild guesses she sort of knew about 75 - 80 percent but rather than saying that, she said "just a guess." So yeah, did seem a bit fake on her part. But she always seemed friendly.

Check out her performance on the final of 15 To 1. Incredible performance. Seriously smart lady. Farewell!

It's not as impressive as it might appear. 15 to 1 often reused old questions several times over. Anyone who was an avid viewer and prepared to do a bit of revision could have done the same as Daphne.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not as impressive as it might appear. 15 to 1 often reused old questions several times over. Anyone who was an avid viewer and prepared to do a bit of revision could have done the same as Daphne.

If that was the case how come everybody wasn't doing it ?

Daphne also won Brain of Britain on Radio 4, not once but twice, plus was the overall winner of Going For Gold one year too. She does know her stuff.

We can all answer questions sitting on our arse at home but to do it under pressure isn't easy.
  • Claire_albaClaire_alba Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Daphne leaves CJ returns!

Glad Im not the only one who said that!

For the record Id rather have Daphne as an egghead any day of the week
  • SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    Never understood the Daphne hate on here. Yes she apparently guessed some answers. But her guesses were right so often, far more than the one in three you would expect, which shows she must have known many of the answers, but in her sub-conscious. The older you get the worse your short term memory is, but long since "forgotten" facts can pop into your brain given the right trigger.

I like Daphne, I think she is far more genuine than some people on DS give her credit for.

I liked Daphne, she has a lot of knowledge and she and Kevin were the ones to be reckoned with in this show.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Great
    Nope. That CJ is back:o
    allafix wrote: »
    Never understood the Daphne hate on here. Yes she apparently guessed some answers. But her guesses were right so often, far more than the one in three you would expect, which shows she must have known many of the answers, but in her sub-conscious. The older you get the worse your short term memory is, but long since "forgotten" facts can pop into your brain given the right trigger.

I like Daphne, I think she is far more genuine than some people on DS give her credit for.
    For some reason she enjoys having a reputation as a good guesser. I don't know why she did this.
    Socha wrote: »
    I liked Daphne, she has a lot of knowledge and she and Kevin were the ones to be reckoned with in this show.

DIsagree. Pat is very good.
  • SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

DIsagree. Pat is very good.

I was referring to the original Kevin-Chris-CJ-Daphne-Judith team.

I don't know the new ones that well.
  • ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    You know what bugged me about Daphne the way she pretended she didn't know the answer yet 9 times out of 10 always picked the correct one from the three options.

If she wanted to come across as impressive, then surely she would have said that she knew the answer. Wouldn't saying that she knew have been more impressive than "pretending not to know"?
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    If she wanted to come across as impressive, then surely she would have said that she knew the answer. Wouldn't saying that she knew have been more impressive than "pretending not to know"?
    She definitely was not certain. In the final, many times she would quietly give the correct answer but would not be convinced enough to insist the team use it. They would then discuss and submit something else.
  • AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Don't know how anyone could dislike Daphne! I think there was an element of self deprecation about her at times, she knew more than she let on but a good quizzer can often make an educated guess in multiple choice format.

The Eggheads questions setters often designed the questions & answer options in such a way that you could eliminate at least one and piece together a decent guess with a bit of knowledge. That's why it's a fun show to play along with at home.
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sorry to miss Daphne's last appearance - until I read this and saw that there was no special acknowledgement (at her own request apparently).

She was a titan in the quizzing world, all the best to her.
  • marieofromaniamarieofromania Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that was the case how come everybody wasn't doing it ?

Daphne also won Brain of Britain on Radio 4, not once but twice, plus was the overall winner of Going For Gold one year too. She does know her stuff.

We can all answer questions sitting on our arse at home but to do it under pressure isn't easy.

I dare say a lot of people tried - she was just better than most, or had more time to spend going over old shows.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they said the answer straight away then the show would be over in 10 minutes, they do encourage you to try and think about the answer.

If you know the answer no extra thinking is required. Even if you're certain of the answer are you still told to say "I don't think it's a), b)" etc?