Options

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Comments

• Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I went to see it in the cinema for the sixth time yesterday - it was well worth it even though the price has gone up 15p since last week.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just saw this , Eustace was great , kindof a shame he becomes a dragon in the last 3rd because the actor playing him then wasn't in it .

it looked beautiful , and the 3d seemed a bit better than some I've seen .

wasn't much story tho .

is Lucy the one that doesn't get to heaven because she's interested in make-up or something ? (sorry , I just remember vaguely reading something about that , I'm not that familiar wth the books)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hands up I only went to see this to hear Joe sing at the end but I enjoyed it.

I thought there was no sense of mission till about 30 mins in and it could have done with that kind of exposition from the start but I know that's coming from someone who doesn't know the books (read the first along time ago).

I agree, Eustace stole it.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This left me completey unmoved. I didn't warm to these characters at all - not one bit - apart, as people have suggested, to Eustace. There's a desperate smugness about the whole outfit, to be honest.
    I had a bunch of kids with me and we were sailing along quite happily until the sea monster - it terrified them, so parents with young children be warned. It was over the top for a family film.
  • Options
    AppleTangoAppleTango Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is Lucy the one that doesn't get to heaven because she's interested in make-up or something ? (sorry , I just remember vaguely reading something about that , I'm not that familiar wth the books)

That's Susan.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just saw this , Eustace was great , kindof a shame he becomes a dragon in the last 3rd because the actor playing him then wasn't in it .

it looked beautiful , and the 3d seemed a bit better than some I've seen .

wasn't much story tho .

Susan doesn't go to Narnia heaven, Aslan's Country, because she stops believing in Narnia, doesn't she?

I don't think she doesn't go to heaven full stop.

Just managed to borrow some kids and make them go to see this. (Only kidding, actually we all enjoyed it).

I understood that they had to have a sense of menace, so invented the mist, but felt a bit put out at some of the things they missed out. The Dufflepuds bit was cut short, and the slave island bit, and Ramandu's island bit.

Should have been longer.

And I was disappointed in the 3D. The ads that preceded the film were miles better in terms of the 3D effects. Although I must say that one of the people I was with said she felt seasick.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching both TLTW&TW and Prince Caspian over Christmas they were both FAR superior films to Dawn Treader. It's such a shame Andrew Adamson didn't do Dawn Treader, or that Prince Caspian wasn't scheduled and promoted better so the series didn't have to change studio.

The script for Dawn Treader was appalling. Andrew Adamson co-wrote each of his films and this was needed again...

I was thinking of a few things they could have done to make Dawn Treader more interesting...

- Have Lucy, Edmund and Eustace arrive on the Lone Islands rather than being rescued from the sea.

- They are taken as slaves, there's also a beautiful blonde girl as a slave too, this is Ramandu's daughter! She talks of how she longs to see her home again, her father's island that lies far to the east, close to Aslan's country.

- Caspian rescues them, this is the first time we see him. He has the SAME accent from Prince Caspian so we can at least buy him as the same character... He falls in love with Ramandu's daughter and vows to take her to her father, as well as searching for signs of the Lords along the way.

- There is NO stupid green 'mist'!! If they wanted to put them in peril in some way make an evil Calormene ship that chases them, or something... And there should be much more about Reepicheep and his longing to see Aslan's country.

All of that and much more...
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wasn't much story tho.
    It's been many, many years since I read the books but I seem to recall that this can also be said of the original book. It's certainly not the most interesting or action packed of the series.

In fact the screenwriters/director inserted some extra action into the film (e.g. the mist) because they said the book as it stood made for a rather boring film. But they could only insert so much.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching both TLTW&TW and Prince Caspian over Christmas they were both FAR superior films to Dawn Treader. It's such a shame Andrew Adamson didn't do Dawn Treader, or that Prince Caspian wasn't scheduled and promoted better so the series didn't have to change studio.

The script for Dawn Treader was appalling. Andrew Adamson co-wrote each of his films and this was needed again...

I was thinking of a few things they could have done to make Dawn Treader more interesting...

- Have Lucy, Edmund and Eustace arrive on the Lone Islands rather than being rescued from the sea.

- They are taken as slaves, there's also a beautiful blonde girl as a slave too, this is Ramandu's daughter! She talks of how she longs to see her home again, her father's island that lies far to the east, close to Aslan's country.

- Caspian rescues them, this is the first time we see him. He has the SAME accent from Prince Caspian so we can at least buy him as the same character... He falls in love with Ramandu's daughter and vows to take her to her father, as well as searching for signs of the Lords along the way.

- There is NO stupid green 'mist'!! If they wanted to put them in peril in some way make an evil Calormene ship that chases them, or something... And there should be much more about Reepicheep and his longing to see Aslan's country.

All of that and much more...

But then it would be even less true to the book.:confused:
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    It's been many, many years since I read the books but I seem to recall that this can also be said of the original book. It's certainly not the most interesting or action packed of the series.

In fact the screenwriters/director inserted some extra action into the film (e.g. the mist) because they said the book as it stood made for a rather boring film. But they could only insert so much.

They added action but it was at the expense of plot. For example, they brought in this 'evil' but didn't explain what it was, who or what was behind it, where the mist came from and why it was placated by human sacrifice. What was the island all about? Why were the swords able to defeat it? And how on earth did that wizard guy know? And why would they take the wizard guy's word for it since all the knew was that he was oppressing the guys with the big feet?

The plot was really awful, the writer's must have switched their brains off.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it... once I got past the fact that things "just happened" without any reason or explanation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah the order of the release and the order publishers says they should be read are different - I have the set, and I started to read them in order of release. As I just feel if an author writes them in that order then that is the order they must have meant them to be originally read.

I think the release order is the following:

1. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
    2. Prince Caspian
    3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    4. The Silver Chair
    5. The Horse and His Boy
    6. The Magician's Nephew
    7. The Last Battle

However Publishers Order is the following:

1. The Magician's Nephew
    2. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
    3. The Horse and His Boy
    4. Prince Caspian
    5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    6. The Silver Chair
    7. The Last Battle.

Depending which way you read the stories shows you which group you fall into. I read in the Chronological order of when the books were released. Others read in the Publishers order since the books are numbered this way who can blame them.

The films seem to be going in the order of Chronology like I do.

I am not sure why there is two different orders someone maybe able to explain the history more?

But I do hope I have explained it a little bit so you understand it a little better?

I presume it's because they are worried about the aging of the actors? For example, The Horse and his Boy doesn't have the original 4 as children (as far as I can remember, it's been a long time since I read the books) and would work well as a stand-alone film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw it yesterday for the seventh time. I continue to be amazed by Skandar Keynes's gorgeousness and his lovely deep voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Today I managed to get time to read the book. I was a bit surprised at the extent to which the events in the book were rearranged into a different order for the film, especially Eustace being a dragon for only a brief period in the middle.

But it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film, because Skandar is so gorgeous anyway. I reckon SKANDAR stands for Sexiest King of All Narnia (Delighful And Ravishing).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was OK. I have affection for the series (despite a disliking for what is implied in The Last Battle), so I wanted to see it. Fairly unmemorable, but certainly better than Prince Caspian which seemed tired and dull. Admittedly, that film had its work cut out as its based on a slim, not particularly engaging book but it all seemed a little lifeless.

I thought WIll Poulter was excellent in Son of Rambow, and assumed he'd be great here...but I'm afraid I disagree with the majority. His performance as Eustace verged on pantomime at times, with the voice he used being particularly affected and unnatural. He was, however, far better as the redeemed Eustace which bodes well should they ever get a chance to do The Silver Chair.

Dawn Treader (the book) always suffered from being an episodic read (and then they go to an island and learn something, and then they go to another island and learn something...etc), and the movie at least attempted to tie things together. Minus points for bringing back Tilda Swinton again!

The adaptation of TLTWATW is still tops for me. That film was far from perfect (and hopelessly miscast in regard to the animal voices) but it had a sense of magic and wonder that's been missing since.

For me, the BBC versions are still best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yesterday: Eight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Today: Nine
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Just as well James Alexandrou isn't in the film or they'd never get you out of the auditorium!
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Tilda Swinton will probably be back for every one they make, if they carry on the series. She will be in Magician's Nephew as the White Witch herself, The Last Battle as herself again and also as the Lady of the Green Kirtle (or whatever the name is lol) in The Silver Chair. If they make Horse and His Boy they'll fit her in somehow too!!

I think it was the right choice keeping her in for Caspian and Dawn Treader. She should feature the same as Aslan features in every film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Just as well James Alexandrou isn't in the film or they'd never get you out of the auditorium!

Skandar Keynes is even more gorgeous than James Alexandrou these days :):p;):rolleyes:
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Just incase nobody knows, if you don't mind going at 10am this week you can see this film for £1 at Vue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Just incase nobody knows, if you don't mind going at 10am this week you can see this film for £1 at Vue.

Went today, 4 adults and one 6 year old who LOVED this film!

£5 for us all to go....bargain!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »

Went today, 4 adults and one 6 year old who LOVED this film!

£5 for us all to go....bargain!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw it yesterday for the tenth time. It's the first time I've ever been to see the same film for a tenth time (I have previously been to see a film nine times before).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I saw it yesterday for the eleventh time.