No Freesat This Morning.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
Forum Member
Hi,
Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place. I woke this morning to find no signal from my dish to my two Freesat stb's. I have a Humax in the living room and a Echostar in the bedroom. It was working last night. I can't see anything wrong with my dish. The weather is calm with no rain or snow. I will check with a neighbour when he gets up to see if he is getting a signal. I am assuming that if there was a problem with the satellite it would have been mentioned on here. I am at a loss to understand why I have no signal.

Comments

• GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two dishes ( minimum) !

One to transmit, one to receive.

There may be bad weather at the transmitter end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I have just found out that no of my neighbours have satellite tv despite the number of dishes on the bungalows.
    Is anybody else out there not getting a signal this morning?
    I need to know before I call out the rip off merchants to come and check my dish out.
  • overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's working fine here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    OK here in N. Kent.
  • miket15miket15 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Freesat working fine here must be a problem with your setup.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    Two dishes ( minimum) !

One to transmit, one to receive.

There may be bad weather at the transmitter end.

Hardly if there were any problems with the satellites or uplinks then these forums would be awash with complaints/queries. The problem has to be a localised one with their dishes - hardly unexpected with the current and recent winds over the UK.
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your replies. I am pleased to say that all is now working. I left both boxes switched on and just before 0830 the signal came back. Why it disappeared in the first place I have no idea. I just hope it keeps on working.
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies. I am pleased to say that all is now working. I left both boxes switched on and just before 0830 the signal came back. Why it disappeared in the first place I have no idea. I just hope it keeps on working.

It could be a combination of bad weather (dusting of snow here) between you and the sat and your set up not having the best alignment.

Have you taken a quality reading?
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been pretty windy lately. Your dish alignment may have been knocked off.
    Forum Member
    I have on my Echostar LNB 1 strength 99, quality 99 LNB 2 signal 80, quality 69
    On my Humax I have LNB1 strength 85, quality 100. LNB2 strength 90 quality 100.
    I can only do a visual of my dish from the ground due to disabilty, but nothing looks any different.
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 I take yor point. Though I do think that being charged £350 for running 2 10 meter lengths of cable to my bedroom from my quad dish a rip off.
    Another guy charged my neighbour £175 to retune her Freesat tv on digital changeover. I think that living in sheltered accomadation brings out those who take advantage of the old and infirm. Still as I say point taken. I only wish we knew of a installer around here who saw us as custermers to service and not victims to exploit.
    Forum Member
    That was a typo. My neighbour had her Freeview retuned.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even someone like Comet advertise an install for only £105 (single cable, although i doubt 2 cables would be much more)

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Accessories/buy-FREESAT-DTR-INSTALLATION-TO-1-TV-POINT-Accessorie/903711?_$ja=tsid:8361|prd:72187&awc=157_1323949201_2aebd579f3d8589d45cf3583e718e59f
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 I take yor point. Though I do think that being charged £350 for running 2 10 meter lengths of cable to my bedroom from my quad dish a rip off.
    Another guy charged my neighbour £175 to retune her Freesat tv on digital changeover. I think that living in sheltered accomadation brings out those who take advantage of the old and infirm. Still as I say point taken. I only wish we knew of a installer around here who saw us as custermers to service and not victims to exploit.

Those are indeed rip off charges.

Did you not think to get an estimate first and ring around for a better price?

If I charged that much, I would get no recommendations. As most of my business comes from recommendations from satisfied customers, I would probably be out of work if I had charged that much.

Does the sheltered housing association only allow certain contractors that they approve? or do they "manage" the work and add a big fat mark up?

My Mother lives in a sheltered flat, and wanted a new walk in shower fitted. The association got "their" plumber around and he quoted £6000 She found here own plumber and got the job done for under £1000

If I am understanding the scope of those two jobs you used as examples, I would have charged under £100 for each job.

It does annoy me when one rogue trader charges way too much for a job, that people then think everybody is out to rip them off. There are plenty of people like me that do a good job for a fair price.
    Forum Member
    Hi ProDave,
    Our sheltered accomadation bungalows are in a small group of 22 with a warden who we see about once every three months or so after the many cutbacks. The housing association has nothing to do with the provision of aerials or dishes. That is down to each tenant.
    I only rang two installers. One would not come this far out of the city and the other one came and charged me that amount for the work.
    As for my neighbour I do not know how she contacted the man who retuned her tv. I myself retuned 12 Tv's for other residents in other bungalows but this neighbour did not ask me to do hers.
    I agree that one bad trader sullys the name of good and fair people it was always thus.
  • Gerry WicklowGerry Wicklow Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ProDave, agreed.

Any tradesman that "burns" a customer makes a quick buck but no more. My philosophy has always been to give someone a decent price and you get far more repeat business. Word of mouth is also a very powerful tool that can work both ways for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    I have found exactly the same thing for the last week or so. I live in Dorset. I have asked a lot of my friends at work, and they all find the same. It just seems to suddenly wake up at 8.30-9.

I believe it could do with the 'orrible weather at the moment.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that Linz69. So it might not be my dish at fault. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
    I was wondering if maybe it is ice on the LNB which by the time the sun gets over the hill at around that time melts it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @ProDave, agreed.

Any tradesman that "burns" a customer makes a quick buck but no more. My philosophy has always been to give someone a decent price and you get far more repeat business. Word of mouth is also a very powerful tool that can work both ways for you.

thats my philosophy too!!
    It did however 'p**s off my competitors who were more in the 'rip off department.'!!! Still some 5 years later i am still in business and they have no reputation anymore!!!
  • AndrewLGAndrewLG Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that Linz69. So it might not be my dish at fault. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
    I was wondering if maybe it is ice on the LNB which by the time the sun gets over the hill at around that time melts it.
    I’d hang fire on this as it seems the problem is a bit more widespread and see what more can be found out about the cause. No point in paying £££ to be told your system is ok.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just found out that no of my neighbours have satellite tv despite the number of dishes on the bungalows.
    Is anybody else out there not getting a signal this morning?
    I need to know before I call out the rip off merchants to come and check my dish out.

I note a lot of old Sky dish clutter with wires hanging,getting to be an unsightly problem.
  • overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    janet owen wrote: »
    I note a lot of old Sky dish clutter with wires hanging,getting to be an unsightly problem.

In the nearest town to me not only do you see a number of properties with old & very rusty Sky analogue dishes, but I've even spotted a couple of old original BSB Squarials!!! :eek:
  • BillKayBillKay Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    Linz69 wrote: »
    I have found exactly the same thing for the last week or so. I live in Dorset. I have asked a lot of my friends at work, and they all find the same. It just seems to suddenly wake up at 8.30-9.

I believe it could do with the 'orrible weather at the moment.

I don't know if this has any link but I noticed yesterday that my Freesat Humax PVR turned itself on from standby at 08:59 am, displayed a clock then at 09:00 swtiched to the BBC News Channel. Don't normally watch TV in the morning so not sure if there would have been a reception problem prior to this. :confused:
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BillKay wrote: »
    I don't know if this has any link but I noticed yesterday that my Freesat Humax PVR turned itself on from standby at 08:59 am, displayed a clock then at 09:00 swtiched to the BBC News Channel. Don't normally watch TV in the morning so not sure if there would have been a reception problem prior to this. :confused:

Sounds like you had set a watch reservation from the epg or have set a auto power on from the menus.