Stop NHS privatisation- sign now

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100,893 wow. Success.

Clearly an awful lot of people do not like this bill.

I wonder how many of those 100,00 have actually read the Bill and understand it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    yeah maybe they're Lost Fools
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done. :) I had already signed it, but didn't think of posting details on DS!
  • omipaloneomipalone Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    However, an objective Parliamentary debate on future privatisation and the well-documented success of the private systems in all comparable European countries in comparison to the NHS would be quite welcome.

As I posted on a thread in politics, the NHS compared well in a relatively recent private American multi-country study . . .

International Comparison Chart of Healthcare Systems

Overall rankings -

1. The Netherlands

2. United Kingdom

3. Australia

4. Germany

5. New Zealand

6. Canada

7. United States

The UK was ranked first in terms of efficiency, followed by Australia.

Full downloadable report here

Oh and I have signed the e-petition as well :cool:
  • 555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet most people (99%) haven't got a clue what the health bill is about.

In order to sign that petition, you should have to pass an examination of your knowledge. As it should be with such things where people have an opinion.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    555 wrote: »

In order to sign that petition, you should have to pass an examination of your knowledge. As it should be with such things where people have an opinion.

The examination of any e-petition is to give a valid e-mail address and get through the spam filter. If any more qualifications were necessary I suggest that they would be specified.

I take it you are delighted with the result?
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omipalone wrote: »
    As I posted on a thread in politics, the NHS compared well in a relatively recent private American multi-country study . . .

International Comparison Chart of Healthcare Systems

Overall rankings -

1. The Netherlands

2. United Kingdom

3. Australia

4. Germany

5. New Zealand

6. Canada

7. United States

The UK was ranked first in terms of efficiency, followed by Australia.

Full downloadable report here

Oh and I have signed the e-petition as well :cool:

The Netherlands is still higher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The examination of any e-petition is to give a valid e-mail address and get through the spam filter. If any more qualifications were necessary I suggest that they would be specified.

I take it you are delighted with the result?

I have no opinion about the result, as I have no idea what the health bill is about, so feel it invalid for me to have any opinion whatsoever about it until I have carried out a full, independent fact finding investigation.

I imagine a lot of people think it's nasty, because the Conservatives invented it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The Netherlands is still higher.

Here's another report which puts the Netherlands at the top in Europe - with the UK in 14th place

http://www.healthpowerhouse.com/files/Report%20EHCI%202009%20091005%20final%20with%20cover.pdf

And guess what? The Netherlands as with most other European countries use a mixture of public and private provision in their healthcare system. No major country in the world copies the NHS model.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Here's another report which puts the Netherlands at the top in Europe - with the UK in 14th place

http://www.healthpowerhouse.com/files/Report%20EHCI%202009%20091005%20final%20with%20cover.pdf

And guess what? The Netherlands as with most other European countries use a mixture of public and private provision in their healthcare system. No major country in the world copies the NHS model.

In that case, a semi privatised system seems like the way forward. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"I don't know anything about it but I don't like it" is about the level of debate on most things on DS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that case, a semi privatised system seems like the way forward. :)

The Netherlands spend a lot more on healthcare per head, on a significantly smaller population, than the UK does so am still happy to have signed the petition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The government's health reforms run a high risk of reducing levels of safety and patient care while leading to overspending, internal NHS reports have warned.

They emerge at a tricky time for ministers as they are likely to reflect the concerns raised by a national risk register, drawn up by civil servants at the Department of Health last year, which the health secretary, Andrew Lansley, is fighting a legal battle to avoid publishing.
    There was a further blow to the government after a surge in support for an e-petition on the government's website that urged ministers to drop the health bill. The petition passed the 100,000 signatures threshold – the point where motions are considered eligible for debate in the Commons.

Source
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    why should i sign it?? hm?? why??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omipalone wrote: »
    The Netherlands spend a lot more on healthcare per head, on a significantly smaller population, than the UK does so am still happy to have signed the petition.

If we want to increase the spending per head on health then we have to work out where the extra money is coming from. If it's not going to be from tax rises then getting more private money into the system is one of the few alternatives.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    100,893 wow. Success.

This is good news indeed!
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

As somebody who has lived in the netherlands, germany and UK and witnessed first hand all three this report looks to be much more accurate.

To compare the UK with germany is laughable, there is no contest, Germany is ten times better in every aspect of their healthcare system.
  • Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Signed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    peter3hg wrote: »
    The admin and management won't be made redundant, they will simply be TUPE'd over to the CCGs. The GPs in reality will have minimal involvement, they may make some overarching decisions but the day to day commissioning work will be carried out by the same people that currently do it.
    Personally I think the CCGs shouldn't ever progress beyond a shadow "advisory" role and the PCT clusters that have come into existence should become the new solution. Theoretically these should be cheaper to run than the old PCTs but still local enough to deal with local healthcare issues.

This is not what is happening in practice with regard to administrators and I know of 3 GP surgeries bidding for funds to increase their administration space

At a time when cuts are being required of the NHS it is ludicrous to try and make change that requires a lot of money to do it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    As somebody who has lived in the netherlands, germany and UK and witnessed first hand all three this report looks to be much more accurate.

To compare the UK with germany is laughable, there is no contest, Germany is ten times better in every aspect of their healthcare system.

As entitled to your opinion on the NHS as you are, the front page of the 'I' suggests that not many share it (LINK)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is partly privatised, does this mean we can all finally own OUR medical records and decide what should be on it?

It annoys me no end that every time you go to a doctor, everything is recorded on a computer system for everyone else to see!
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100,893 wow. Success.

People are click and sign happy with these sorts of things. Put them on Facebook and they'll click anything, same with the retweeting shite on Twitter. It's like handing out some shiny objects to those who are special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Sorry what are you showing me here? A cover of a magazine?

It is the image of the front page of tomorrow's 'I' UK newspaper stating that 84% of 72,000 patients have rated their experience of the NHS as excellent or very good
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Have signed, now 109,269.
    Buttons88 wrote: »
    If it is partly privatised, does this mean we can all finally own OUR medical records and decide what should be on it?
    I'm not entirely sure on that. The way I see it, hospitals will sell off various bits and bobs to franchises (of course wanting a bidding war) like cleaning jobs, tertiary et al. Which is what Thatcher tried to do.