Washing machine trim gone yellow??

morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bit of a strange one this! Ive tried googling but got no answers.

My Mum and I both have pretty new washing machines, both white, different makes.

On the plastic "trim" around the door, the drawer and the facia the plastic has gone like a dark cream/yellow colour. It makes the machines look dirty and old.

Both machines have been cared for well and are wiped down regularly.

Does anyone know whats caused it and how to get rid of it?

Comments

• TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The yellowish colour is off the heat

how old is the machine..?

Are they the same make..?

How long have you had your machine..?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine has too. Mine is about 8 years old though.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Bit of a strange one this! Ive tried googling but got no answers.

My Mum and I both have pretty new washing machines, both white, different makes.

On the plastic "trim" around the door, the drawer and the facia the plastic has gone like a dark cream/yellow colour. It makes the machines look dirty and old.

Both machines have been cared for well and are wiped down regularly.

Does anyone know whats caused it and how to get rid of it?

You don't get rid of it - it's normally caused by ultraviolet light causing the plastic to change colour. Essentially it's due to not enough UV protector in the plastic.

You could change the mouldings for new ones, but that would be expensive, and the new ones would discolour over time as well.
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. Thats a poor show if they are just expected to go like that. My Mums is about a year old, mine is older, but my Mums went like it after about four months.

I know other people who have the same problem. Strange its not so "well known" so to speak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it the EU's fault, like white gloss paint that now goes yellow?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Strange its not so "well known" so to speak.

It's very well known, and not just on washing machines - it applies to almost anything that has white plastic parts. Even worse, different parts of items are made of different types of plastic, so it's common for only certain parts to change colour (such as the top of a CD/Radio player, but not the body).

The most classic example though is UPVC double glazed windows, insufficient UV protection meant early versions went yellow over time. Supposedly any window remotely modern now includes sufficient UV protector, and shouldn't do this.