BBQ for vegetarians...Ideas please?

guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm doing a BBQ for a crowd next weekend, two of our guests are veggies..apart from salads and coleslaw any ideas what else I could give them?

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corn on the cob?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    You don't say if they eat cheese or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corn on the cob in foil
    Stuffed portabello mushrooms
    Vegetable & halloumi kebabs
    Asparagus if there is any still around
    Aubergines
    Veggie Burgers
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corn on the cob?

Thanks...I actually hadn't thought of that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the obvious Quorn/veggie sausages, veggie burgers, corn on the cob etc., there are some good ideas here.

The courgette and halloumi skewers look quite easy. And I quite like the look of the carrot and sesame burgers.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you have a bbq that gets smokey or can add some wood chips then try making your own baked beans.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    If you want actual sausages and burgers, I would recommend Frys,You can get them from the freezer in your local Holland and Barret, they are a good quality and do not fall apart when on the BBQ.

I also like to make kebabs with onion,mushrooms,peppers and any other veggies you have in the house.

I usually keep it simple, if it gets too fussy you end up spending too much time in prep and cooking.

Oh and I ALWAYS make banana parcels for afters, make a boat of foil, put in a peeled banana, a large spoonful of golden syrup, and the juice from an orange with a bit of grated orange peel over the top, roll and seal the foil and pop on the BBQ after everyone has finished their savouries, a few minutes and you have a lovely pudding ;)
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grilled haloumi is good, and goes down well with the meat eaters too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy some 'Panner' (sainsburys and Tesco's sell this or try a local Indian shop).

Cut into cubes (not too small)

Marinate it in a spicy tikka sauce (treat as if it were chicken) and then skewer and BBQ- yum!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or put sweet potato's in the ashes (like with jacket potatoes) until cooked
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that veggies may not like stuff for them bbq'ed on same bbq as meat because of meat contamination.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisieBee wrote: »
    Bear in mind that veggies may not like stuff for them bbq'ed on same bbq as meat because of meat contamination.

We are going to buy one of those disposable ones for the veggie stuff..:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads and loads of ideas..Thanks.

Think I'll do the banana thing for everyone, sound lovely!
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Normal' burgers/hot-dogs/chicken kebabs etc. but vegetarian versions made out of quorn etc.

One of my veggie friends always moans about being given rabbit food when he'd rather just have the 'same' thing as everyone else.

I must admit I take his point. I would become a vegetarian but until I can go into Subway and get 'vegetarian ham' or go into McDonalds and get a 'vegetarian big-mac' I'm not interested. I don't want some sort of weird substitute.

I know that might sound hypocritical but a Linda-McCartney burger in a nice bun with cheese and ketchup tastes the same to me as a beef-burger. They're both highly processed, but one is more ethical than the other!
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like banana in a shish kebab - mushroom,banana,pepper,red onion.

Admittedly I also have lamb in mine but the veggie version is nice too:)
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    One of my veggie friends always moans about being given rabbit food when he'd rather just have the 'same' thing as everyone else.
    Not having a go but it seems strange to me. Plenty of good veggie food available without having to have fake meat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are going to buy one of those disposable ones for the veggie stuff..:)

Lol, they even get a 2nd rate bbq then :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not having a go but it seems strange to me. Plenty of good veggie food available without having to have fake meat.

Sounds like a hypocrite. More ethical? What a load of bull.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I do love grilled corn on the cob, without foil. When the blackened stripes caramelise they make the corn super sweet
    Forum Member
    If you can get corn with the husk still on then it makes for a nice snack. You basically blacken it and it steams but also gets that smokey hint. You can also put it on to char for the last couple of minutes.

In Mexico they coat the corn in mayo and queso fresco but you can use finely grated feta

or just slather it in melted butter :)
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some people like it. As long as it's not made with meat, who cares?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I'm not particularly fond of the fake meat stuff, it's quite bland and unappealing to me. I don't eat meat, so I'm not interested in eating something that tastes like it. But Quorn is ok I guess.

I would recommend roasted vegetable kebabs, do a couscous salad or some rice with it and it's lovely. Some supermarkets also do fresh vegetable burgers, made of mushrooms or beans etc that tasted lovely when BBQed. Or a baked potato/sweet potato with some salad. The BBC Good Food website has some nice ideas.

Most of my friends do the Quorn burgers or LM sausages when doing BBQs, they taste ok as well.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a hypocrite. More ethical? What a load of bull.

Well one reason people give for eating meat is they like the taste/texture etc of it.

The fake meat stuff supposedly lets you have those benefits without the downside of killing an animal.

Let's not forget animals also don't naturally come in sausage or burger form, they are processed into those shapes, no reason not to process other things into those shapes.

Personally, I do like the Tesoc meat-free burgers.