Options

Should Theo Walcott be charged by the FA?

Comments

• Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No excuse for throwing coins at him, especially when injured.

That said the FA probably will take the easy route and ban him.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utterly ridiculous to say Walcott should be charged. The responsibility for the coin throwing lies entirely with the barbarian element of the fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    Why stop there? Let's ban every football player who smiles around opposition fans. That should clear up any fixture congestion.

Every player that scores a goal is committing a clear act of provocation against the opposition fans. Better have an automatic ban to end this outrageous practice.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    There has been plenty of stuff about Spurs fans in general over this, not just this thread. Tel in this thread alludes to the same.

Arsenal fans, and most other clubs fans have done the same. Taking the high ground for your club over this isn't addressing the topic, it is just the latest round of club tribalism.

The people throwing stuff were not isolated, or unique in the modern game.

They should be rounded up, prosecuted, and banned for life, but people should acknowledge their own clubs have the same muttonheads too.

Why?

If a clubs fans does something bad why do have to caveat it by saying that other fans have the potential to do the same or that they have done in the past? We all know this.

Its like a Man Utd fan defending a Hillsborough chant by saying some Liverpool fans sing about Munich. We know that and both are a disgrace. Simple as that.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been plenty of stuff about Spurs fans in general over this, not just this thread. Tel in this thread alludes to the same.

Arsenal fans, and most other clubs fans have done the same. Taking the high ground for your club over this isn't addressing the topic, it is just the latest round of club tribalism.

The people throwing stuff were not isolated, or unique in the modern game.

They should be rounded up, prosecuted, and banned for life, but people should acknowledge their own clubs have the same muttonheads too.

Indeed we do, the clown who threw coins at Carragher at Highbury was picked out by our own fans and banned for life. No danger of that happening with yours I suspect, no tribalism at all just facts. Lets see how many of your fans are banned?
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One good thing to come out of the game is that Arsenal have ensured no other club will have to put up with tottenham's moronic fans throwing missiles at injured players in this season't FA Cup.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, saw it in slow-mo on the news, those Spurs fans were going berserk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So many people quick to dismiss provocation, even bringing up rape, which has nothing to do with this incident whatsoever (you can rarely make such blunt comparisons when it comes to law, it just doesn't work). It is a controversial subject, for sure.

My argument is, would Theo have endangered the safety of the stewards as much if he hadn't sat up smirking giving a gesture to the opposition fans?

Please answer that question, and understand why he simply has to be charged for his behaviour.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Indeed we do, the clown who threw coins at Carragher at Highbury was picked out by our own fans and banned for life. No danger of that happening with yours I suspect, no tribalism at all just facts. Lets see how many of your fans are banned?

And this is my point. Your fans have behaved just as badly as ours. I utterly condemn those fools, and I know we have them. I don't make righteous statements about our fans, whilst complaining about others.

This is a widespread problem with fans of all clubs, and something should be done.

Look at all of them when a player takes a corner or throw, there is a torrent of abuse and hatred behind them, and it is a small step to throwing things.

Players have a responsibility not to do anything to encourage these morons, even though it seems unfair they cant have a go back.

I hope nothing is done against Walcott, but someone should have a word with him, because that is enough to get the Neanderthals going.

Your lot were hardly retrained when Adebayor scored against you at City. People tend to lose all sense when it comes to football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Yes, saw it in slow-mo on the news, those Spurs fans were going berserk.

Indeed.

Frothing at the mouth some of them. Quite disturbing really.

I put it down to bitterness at being in Arsenal's shadow for so many decades. It would be much better for them to just accept their position. People like Harry Redknapp have to be held accountable for encouraging them to harbour unrealistic ambitions.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely not.

Quality banter from Walcott.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    One good thing to come out of the game is that Arsenal have ensured no other club will have to put up with tottenham's moronic fans throwing missiles at injured players in this season't FA Cup.

There you go cantona. This poster sums up what I said.

Just another excuse for a dig at their rivals, as earlier posts are.

The suggestion is that only Spurs fans do this, and that includes all of them. it's rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There you go cantona. This poster sums up what I said.

Just another excuse for a dig at their rivals, as earlier posts are.

The suggestion is that only Spurs fans do this, and that includes all of them. it's rubbish.

Of course its a dig at their rivals! Bloody hell if it was the other way round would ALL spurs fans be sitting there saying "well these things happen" I very much doubt it.

When an Arsenal player cocks up do you laugh like a bloody drain or do you say "That was an error but of course our own players could be prime candidates to make the same error in similar circumstances"?
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    So many people quick to dismiss provocation, even bringing up rape, which has nothing to do with this incident whatsoever (you can rarely make such blunt comparisons when it comes to law, it just doesn't work). It is a controversial subject, for sure.

My argument is, would Theo have endangered the safety of the stewards as much if he hadn't sat up smirking giving a gesture to the opposition fans?

Please answer that question, and understand why he simply has to be charged for his behaviour.

It is entirely comparable with the rape example. There needs to be a sense of personal responsibility. Theo Walcott didn't hold a gun to those fans' heads. They, and only they are responsible for their reckless actions.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »

The problem with that closed question is that it ignores the wider issue here - fan behaviour. It's out of hand and needs to be addressed.

Walcott was being pelted before he made the gesture. He reacted with a bit of light-hearted banter. This enraged the idiots in the crowd further. It's really not a proportionate response to throw dangerous objects at someone who makes a light-hearted gesture towards you, let alone just for being on the opponent's team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Of course its a dig at their rivals! Bloody hell if it was the other way round would ALL spurs fans be sitting there saying "well these things happen" I very much doubt it.

When an Arsenal player cocks up do you laugh like a bloody drain or do you say "That was an error but of course our own players could be prime candidates to make the same error in similar circumstances"?

And a dig is all most people are bothered with here, not the rights and wrongs of the actions of these fans or the players.

I totally condemn the Spurs fans for this, but when Arsenal fans do it, I don't get on my high horse and pretend it is a problem only they have.

I'm sure if a City player being carried off at the Stretford End the same way wouldn't be getting a round of applause. That's how it goes, but to suggest this is a Spurs problem is not addressing the bigger issue, merely engaging in mud slinging at rivals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed.

Frothing at the mouth some of them. Quite disturbing really.

I put it down to bitterness at being in Arsenal's shadow for so many decades. It would be much better for them to just accept their position. People like Harry Redknapp have to be held accountable for encouraging them to harbour unrealistic ambitions.

Absolute rubbish I'm afraid. The idea that this is isolated to Spurs fans is laughable. This is about behaviour of all football fans, watch any game and you will see people in the stands completely out of control hurling abuse at any Tom, Dick or Harry who has the temerity to be wearing an opposition shirt. Every time there is a corner for the opposition just watch the crowd in the corner behind the corner taker, it's psychotic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And a dig is all most people are bothered with here, not the rights and wrongs of the actions of these fans or the players.

I totally condemn the Spurs fans for this, but when Arsenal fans do it, I don't get on my high horse and pretend it is a problem only they have.

I'm sure if a City player being carried off at the Stretford End the same way wouldn't be getting a round of applause. That's how it goes, but to suggest this is a Spurs problem is not addressing the bigger issue, merely engaging in mud slinging at rivals.

Some clubs' fans are more inclined to engage in unsavoury behaviour than others.

Yours are one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    The problem with that closed question is that it ignores the wider issue here - fan behaviour. It's out of hand and needs to be addressed.

Walcott was being pelted before he made the gesture. He reacted with a bit of light-hearted banter. This enraged the idiots in the crowd further. It's really not a proportionate response to throw dangerous objects at someone who makes a light-hearted gesture towards you, let alone just for being on the opponent's team.

It is out of hand, and players need to show restraint in everything they do towards rival fans, because there are fools among such people.

Walcott isn't a thicko, and he should know what his actions were likely to do.

That doesn't mean I am excusing the fans, far from it, they are scum. It's a shame there cant be any banter between fans and players, it used to happen, but there cant be in these situations in this day and age.

Fans scream the foulest abuse at every game, and nothing is done, unless there is a racist or homophobic comment made, and then things go into overdrive, but the bigger aspects are overlooked, and probably because it is so common, the authorities have given up on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some clubs' fans are more inclined to engage in unsavoury behaviour than others.

Yours are one of them.

And this is sticking to the nonsense I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish I'm afraid. The idea that this is isolated to Spurs fans is laughable. This is about behaviour of all football fans, watch any game and you will see people in the stands completely out of control hurling abuse at any Tom, Dick or Harry who has the temerity to be wearing an opposition shirt. Every time there is a corner for the opposition just watch the crowd in the corner behind the corner taker, it's psychotic.

Exactly. I'm pleased some on this thread can see the bigger picture too.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But the thread wasn't about the bigger issue.

Its the same world over.

Lets start a thread about diving when no-one has dived and see how it goes - no one cares. Its a big issue in itself but blah.

Start one after a big diving incident and people want anything from a 6 game ban to the death penalty. Its normal.

Were you here when Henry handled the ball to score for France? No one cared about handball before that or argued that the penalty was anything other than a yellow. After the incident people wanted him barred from the World Cup and you couldn't buy a hoover in Dublin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly. I'm pleased some on this thread can see the bigger picture too.

But it has nothing to do with the bigger picture, bloody hell, its about one incident.
  • Options
    super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Every player that scores a goal is committing a clear act of provocation against the opposition fans. Better have an automatic ban to end this outrageous practice.

Fans shouldn't be provoked when a player is celebrating a goal.

They SHOULD be provoked if a player is taunting them.

I remember Rio Ferdinand taunting Man City fans after winning a game. He left the pitch with a wound in his eye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And this is sticking to the nonsense I'm talking about.

You're just trying to deflect the point.

Tottenham's fans in my experience are more inclided to behave like neanderthals than most I've come across. It's always been like that right back to the 70's.

This incident of throwing missiles at an injured player won't surprise people who have experience of tottenham's fans.