Impulse buys

RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I couldn't find another thread on here about impulse buys, so I'm sorry in advance if I've missed it - there's one about the last thing you bought, though, but isn't what I mean.

Today, I bought a tea mug with a slogan on it, simply because I liked the slogan. I've got millions of mugs and cups (including a set of 40 china cups and saucers wrapped and in a box in a cupboard) and rarely have visitors, so why buy did I buy that cup?

Plus, last week I bought a cat brush, knowing full well that my cats will beat me up if I even try to brush them. The thing is, it says it removes "all known cat fur tangles" or words to that effect. And it's now consigned to the drawer because I value my life.

Have any of you impulse-bought anything that you just KNEW would be absolutely brilliant/look great/change your life/etc but is now languishing unused? Doesn't matter if it was a quid or a million, I don't care - I just want to feel better about mine. :D

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have bought a parrot wine bottle holder and 2 teapots one shaped like a womans breast and another shaped like a Christmas pudding
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I like the Christmas pudding teapot, Billy, not the breast one though.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Why not, prefer a milk jug?
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I once ended up spending around £300 on a night out on impulse. I'd rather not say how. :D
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend and I saw these robot dogs in a toy shop and were amazed by them. I spent £50 on one and played with it once.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy loads of stuff on impulse then wonder why I bought it - especially clothes and books. I have clothes I have probably worn once and books that I looked at the day I bought them or Amazon delivered them but they do look good covering every shelf I have.

Been banned from ebay by OH :D
  • Biker JeffBiker Jeff Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bought all sorts of crap on impulse...... but now I've stopped visiting HotUKDeals.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 90% of the things in my house are impulse buys.

I have a tendency to buy things and never use them. It's a terrible habit and I need to stop it. I'm running out of space to put things.

I saw this 75 piece Sakura Gelly Roll pen set yesterday and I just had to buy it. The sad thing is that I only use a very specific type of pen daily. I know myself, I'd never actually use any of them and they'd end up drying out. However, this time, I'm going to make the effort and give them some action. I must.

I'm someone who should not be allowed in a Pound Store. There are so many things, they're so cheap, and none of them I need. There's stickers, random crap for hair, weird foamy things to put on the walls, stuff you put in the garden such as windmills and scarecrows etc. It's like - heaven.

I also shouldn't be allowed into any department stores. When I see make up counters, temptation takes over and I cannot resist the allure of new babies.
  • chimpsy23chimpsy23 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I spent £400 on fishing equipment as a new hobby, it just sits in the garage taunting me now
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm terrible for impulse buying. Things either end up languishing in cupboards/drawers/wardrobes or I sell them or give them away lol.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    About 90% of the things in my house are impulse buys.

I have a tendency to buy things and never use them. It's a terrible habit and I need to stop it. I'm running out of space to put things.

I saw this 75 piece Sakura Gelly Roll pen set yesterday and I just had to buy it. The sad thing is that I only use a very specific type of pen daily. I know myself, I'd never actually use any of them and they'd end up drying out. However, this time, I'm going to make the effort and give them some action. I must.

I'm someone who should not be allowed in a Pound Store. There are so many things, they're so cheap, and none of them I need. There's stickers, random crap for hair, weird foamy things to put on the walls, stuff you put in the garden such as windmills and scarecrows etc. It's like - heaven.

I also shouldn't be allowed into any department stores. When I see make up counters, temptation takes over and I cannot resist the allure of new babies.
    Hahaha, you sound like me!! :)
  • FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I can certainly be tempted :) Sometimes you just have to have something, and logic goes out of the window! When I was younger I remember K-Tel and Ronco advert being on the TV - thank goodness I was too young to have a credit card - I know the stuff was shall we say "surplus to requirement" but I was fascinated by it :)

http://youtu.be/FN2ttNu3F_M Ronco Buttoneer and flower loom (I did have a flower loom :blush::blush:)

http://youtu.be/3b4RGR82ugw K-Tel Rap Tou - I so wanted one of these to chop and slice my vegetables! saw it being advertised on TV all the time and in Birmingham at a market came so close to buying one - never did get one - now where did I put my purse??? ..............
  • SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the junk section in aldi that gets me. Every time.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay, it's not just me! And some of you lot have bought things so crazy that I feel much better (a boob teapot? I mean, er.. what? :D)

I did recently buy a gorgeously-packaged set of tools and gadgets for the home seamstress - it had all sorts of things, like spools and clippers and stuff - but I don't sew at home and haven't for maybe 20 years. But it was so pretty and useful I just couldn't resist it, so it's sitting pretty in a cupboard now, to be brought out to admire every now and again.

I do remember the Rap Tou and the Buttoneer and had them as well, years ago. Amazing things to worship, those. :D
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I would say 95% of the stuff I own are impulse buys. I have absolutely no self regulation on buying stuff. I used to have an internal dialogue when I was going to buy something, is it a want or need etc, but now I don't even have that chat, I just buy. My local charity shops love me because I am an expert declutterer. Getting rid of stuff not only makes me feel better it makes me feel as if I am in control, although clearly I am not. Not all of the buys end up not being used or worn but a lot of them are. I could have bought a mansion by now if I had reined it in.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought one of those body fat monitor things that you hold. You input your height and weight then hold the handles and it tells you your body fat.

It's a total load of rubbish
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Wii Fit. It was going to change my life and solve all my problems. I went on it once and it left me in such a state of trauma it's gone in the loft, never to be seen again.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you need ebay. I don't buy many things that end up unused but when I do I get at least 75% of what I paid for it back
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a rain coat for 130 pounds. what a waste of money. I needed a light jacket for summer, and saw it in TKmax, the price was cut from 200.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have the cats brush the dust off your mugs OP, then everyone's a winner
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm banned from auction houses, antique shops and second-hand shops.

The ban started when I came home with an Edwardian drop-end leather sofa, an oak dining table and a full railway set we didn't need. We already had six sofas, three dining tables and many antique toys in the house. I won't even go there with ornaments, trinkets, books, antique hats and statues.

I had to change my work route to avoid those places. :D
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year I spent £180 on a revurve bow and archery equipment which was used once after I was determined to take up the sport following a taster course. But then I realised it was gonna cost me another £150 to join the club so decided I couldn't be bothered. I managed to sell it recently for £95. Bad decision.

Last week I spent £50 on a sewing machine to do my wife's alterations with then realised it wasn't as easy as it looks. Luckily they accepted it back as I'd only had it a couple of days.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Wii Fit. It was going to change my life and solve all my problems. I went on it once and it left me in such a state of trauma it's gone in the loft, never to be seen again.

We did that too. Luckily we managed to sell the board and software in the paper for about £35 so at least we got something back off it. We've kept the Wii but we only really use it for iplayer and YouTube so we can watch catchup through our old tv.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poppy99 wrote: »
    I would say 95% of the stuff I own are impulse buys. I have absolutely no self regulation on buying stuff. I used to have an internal dialogue when I was going to buy something, is it a want or need etc, but now I don't even have that chat, I just buy. My local charity shops love me because I am an expert declutterer. Getting rid of stuff not only makes me feel better it makes me feel as if I am in control, although clearly I am not. Not all of the buys end up not being used or worn but a lot of them are. I could have bought a mansion by now if I had reined it in.

I'm the same Poppy99. I console myself that at least the charity is benefiting :)
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I'm banned from auction houses, antique shops and second-hand shops.

The ban started when I came home with an Edwardian drop-end leather sofa, an oak dining table and a full railway set we didn't need. We already had six sofas, three dining tables and many antique toys in the house. I won't even go there with ornaments, trinkets, books, antique hats and statues.

I had to change my work route to avoid those places. :D

I'd better not tell you about this site then

http://www.the-saleroom.com/

My latest guilty pleasure