Options

Getting a GP appointment

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anyone else have problems getting through to the GP surgery for appointments?
My GP does next day appointments only but it's impossible to get through to them on the phone, when you do get through they're fully booked and you have to call again the next day for the day after. It's not unusual to have a few days of this.

It hardly seems fair, especially those like me who need medication that can't be put on a repeat prescription.

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    redrose89 wrote: »
    Does anyone else have problems getting through to the GP surgery for appointments?
    My GP does next day appointments only but it's impossible to get through to them on the phone, when you do get through they're fully booked and you have to call again the next day for the day after. It's not unusual to have a few days of this.

It hardly seems fair, especially those like me who need medication that can't be put on a repeat prescription.

You can change your GP, surely.
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, there are lots of threads on here already saying the same thing.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's the bane of my life with my OH having a heart condition and other medical problems.

Our surgery operates a system where you phone up between 8.00 & 8.30 am then the doctor phones you back during the day to assess whether you need an appointment.

Last week my OH had had tests and got a letter saying he needed to phone the doctors urgently to make an appoinment. The receptionist wouldn't give him an appointment and said the doctor had to phone him back. But he already had a letter saying he needed an appoinment! It was completely ridiculous. >:(

The system also means you are hanging around all day waiting for the call (which comes though as an unknown number so you have to answer the phone to people trying to sell you things all day) It's also not practical when you work in a place where you're not supposed to have your phone on. Heaven knows what a teacher would do, or someone who works on a production line etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Just to answer your point (although it wasn't directed at me), I have looked into changing GP (which would be inconvenient as the surgery we're with is in our village) and asked various friends and colleagues but the same system appears to apply in all the surgeries in our area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

If it was that simple, yes I would.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Just to answer your point (although it wasn't directed at me), I have looked into changing GP (which would be inconvenient as the surgery we're with is in our village) and asked various friends and colleagues but the same system appears to apply in all the surgeries in our area.

Yes, fair enough. It was a general question and point noted.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but last week I got a letter reminding me I need a blood test so I stopped into the surgery to make an appointment with a nurse or phlebotomist. The receptionist helping me saw on the computer that I'm also due for a medication review and told me she'd get me an appointment for the blood and the GP review on the same day. I tried to explain it would be pointless booking a review before the blood test results are in, but she just looked at me blankly and gave me the appointment anyway. This seems to happen every year.

I'm going to stop in again today to cancel the GP appointment. So frustrating.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My GP's surgery has an excellent system, I don't know why it isn't adopted in all practices.

If you call for an appointment, they take your details and contact number, then a doctor phones you back that morning/afternoon. If the doctor decides you need an appointment, he/she gives you one for later that day. If it's just advice or a discussion you need, they administer it over the phone.

Now, when I do actually go for an appointment, the place is virtually empty and you're seen promptly, whereas before it was packed to the rafters with people waiting and the appointments never running to time. By using this system I've saved myself a couple of trips down to the surgery. Can't praise it highly enough.

Goes to show that a significant percentage of people who think they need to see a doctor actually don't.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very difficult here. Even if you phone up a few seconds after the surgery opens, the chances of getting through aren't great.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With ours if you can't get an appointment the same day you phone you can be waiting up to 2 weeks on an appointment.
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. If we want an appointment in the morning, call from 8am and if you want an afternoon one, call from 2pm.

Obviously you can call on the day to make future appointments.

Very rarely you can't get an appointment.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's the bane of my life with my OH having a heart condition and other medical problems.

Our surgery operates a system where you phone up between 8.00 & 8.30 am then the doctor phones you back during the day to assess whether you need an appointment.

Last week my OH had had tests and got a letter saying he needed to phone the doctors urgently to make an appoinment. The receptionist wouldn't give him an appointment and said the doctor had to phone him back. But he already had a letter saying he needed an appoinment! It was completely ridiculous. >:(

The system also means you are hanging around all day waiting for the call (which comes though as an unknown number so you have to answer the phone to people trying to sell you things all day) It's also not practical when you work in a place where you're not supposed to have your phone on. Heaven knows what a teacher would do, or someone who works on a production line etc.

Pretty much like the system our doctors use except they call back by 10am.It works well because it stops people who have nothing more than a common cold taking up appointmemnts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My GP's surgery has an excellent system, I don't know why it isn't adopted in all practices.

If you call for an appointment, they take your details and contact number, then a doctor phones you back that morning/afternoon. If the doctor decides you need an appointment, he/she gives you one for later that day. If it's just advice or a discussion you need, they administer it over the phone.

Now, when I do actually go for an appointment, the place is virtually empty and you're seen promptly, whereas before it was packed to the rafters with people waiting and the appointments never running to time. By using this system I've saved myself a couple of trips down to the surgery. Can't praise it highly enough.

Goes to show that a significant percentage of people who think they need to see a doctor actually don't.

I would prefer this system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work in a primary school and I'm in charge of medical for a particular year group. A child's inhaler was running out so I called mum to get another as soon as.

2 weeks later and 2 calls later I'm still waiting, she said she's waiting to get an appointment, me thinking, 'what a rubbish surgery that cannot prescribed an inhaler for a child promptly.'

Eventually I get fed up waiting (and panicking cos this child takes her inhaler regularly), I called mum and was quite firm with her that she must get this inhaler, like today!

Meanwhile, I needed to go and see my drs that afternoon, I called at 2pm and got one just after 4pm, chuffed cos of work times. Lo and behold, who sits beside me at the surgery but this mum who I had been chasing for over 2 weeks with her child to get an inhaler!!

Gahhhhhh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they had some type of perscriptions clinic, no appointment for me tomorrow need to call tomorrow for Thursday.
    The phoning back system does sound like a good idea. When you do get through you have a next day appointment, I don't understand it when people have to wait two weeks plus for appointments.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    I would prefer this system.

It's great, I can't praise it highly enough. I believe they call it "Doctor First". Annoyingly, I have to change surgeries soon as I'll be leaving the area. Doubt my new surgery wll have this system. :cry:
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One reason for the shortage of appointments is the increasing number of female GPs who cost the same to train as men but work fewer hours; ie less GP appointment slots. Particularly over the course of their career. Thus the NHS gets significantly 'less bangs for its bucks'.

It is up to society to decide if in an increasingly financially strapped NHS, this is a price worth paying.
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    I work in a primary school and I'm in charge of medical for a particular year group. A child's inhaler was running out so I called mum to get another as soon as.

2 weeks later and 2 calls later I'm still waiting, she said she's waiting to get an appointment, me thinking, 'what a rubbish surgery that cannot prescribed an inhaler for a child promptly.'

Eventually I get fed up waiting (and panicking cos this child takes her inhaler regularly), I called mum and was quite firm with her that she must get this inhaler, like today!

Meanwhile, I needed to go and see my drs that afternoon, I called at 2pm and got one just after 4pm, chuffed cos of work times. Lo and behold, who sits beside me at the surgery but this mum who I had been chasing for over 2 weeks with her child to get an inhaler!!

Gahhhhhh!

I've a child with chronic asthma who ended up in hospital two years ago for seven days because the receptionist would not give him an appt for more medication (the soonest was 3 weeks away). She would not accept an order for a script either as she said the GP had written a note stating my son was using too much and required an appt before any more scripts would be written. Well, his inhaler ran out the next day, he panicked, went into a bad attack and I called the ambulance. We nearly lost him. I was furious that a GP saw fit to make a 10 year old with asthma wait 3 bloody weeks for a prescription. Salbutamol is a life saving medication, its not aspirin or paracetamol, its vital! We lodged a complaint, changed practices and now I make sure we have inhalers on hand by getting regular repeat scripts. This mother can also take an empty inhaler to a pharmacist and demand an inhaler be delivered over the counter, I did this once. No child should have to wait for asthma medication to be prescribed.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here.There does seem to be some hassle involved in this.A bit like changing Broadband providers etc.
  • Options
    Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    Depending on what the issue is, I ask to see the Nurse Practitioner and always get in within 48 hours. They can pretty much do the same as the GP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Pretty much like the system our doctors use except they call back by 10am.It works well because it stops people who have nothing more than a common cold taking up appointmemnts

I totally understand that, and their reasoning behind the system but there are 3 problems with it:

1) if you're in a job where you can't take a call during the day. I work in a school office and we're not usually allowed our mobiles on during the day. Obviously if you are expecting a call from your GP you would be allowed, but what are the teachers supposed to do? Walk out of the class? Even doing that you wouldn't get privicay, in a school with 1700 pupils there's always someone walking along the corridor!

2) When you have a letter from the GP saying you need an appointment (as in the scenario I posted above) why do you then need to speak to another doctor for them to assess whether you need an appointment? That should be an exception.

3) The phones are permanently engaged between 8.00 and 8.30. If you phone after that then you're told to phone back the next day. So you're caught in a loop of never being able to get an appoinment. Trying to beat the system my OH arrived at the surgery at 8.00 am one morning as they were unlocking the doors. He asked for an appoinment and was told they'd all gone for the day! How could that be the case? They'd only just opened.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say, that my Dr's surgery is excellent. If I ring before 8.30 I will see a Dr/nurse on the same day. I don't understand why its not the same in other practices.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally understand that, and their reasoning behind the system but there are 3 problems with it:

1) if you're in a job where you can't take a call during the day. I work in a school office and we're not usually allowed our mobiles on during the day. Obviously if you are expecting a call from your GP you would be allowed, but what are the teachers supposed to do? Walk out of the class? Even doing that you wouldn't get privicay, in a school with 1700 pupils there's always someone walking along the corridor!

2) When you have a letter from the GP saying you need an appointment (as in the scenario I posted above) why do you then need to speak to another doctor for them to assess whether you need an appointment? That should be an exception.

3) The phones are permanently engaged between 8.00 and 8.30. If you phone after that then you're told to phone back the next day. So you're caught in a loop of never being able to get an appoinment. Trying to beat the system my OH arrived at the surgery at 8.00 am one morning as they were unlocking the doors. He asked for an appoinment and was told they'd all gone for the day! How could that be the case? They'd only just opened.

Perhaps if you were also able to 'register' for a call the previous evening with an email or voicemail it would help the call waiting scenario?

I had reccuring migraines for a week and there were no afternoon appointments available (which you can pre book), and was told to call first thing for a morning appointment. I called repeatedly from opening time - within 6 minutes everything was gone, and the system had no way of showing them that I'd been calling for a few days trying to get an appointment, and no way of ensuring that I'd get one of the appointments the next day. I had to go to a walk in surgery, who very bluntly told me there was nothing they could do for me.

They could even centralise the system so it was area-wide - you could have a triage chat with a nurse or doctor, and they would be able to flag your priority with your local surgery or hospital.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    I have to say, that my Dr's surgery is excellent. If I ring before 8.30 I will see a Dr/nurse on the same day. I don't understand why its not the same in other practices.
    I don't understand either. Is it just that some surgeries are incompetent?

My husband rang our surgery last week at 11.15 am. He was given an appointment for 6.30 pm that day. Saw the Doctor, was prescribed antibiotics which he was able to get at the in-house pharmacy. Doctor also arranged an appt at the Surgical Assessment unit at the local hospital for 8.00 the next morning. He was seen and home by 9.00.

If ours can be that efficient, why can't they all?
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »

Ours is the same. No hassle, just phone before a certain time and get an appointment that day. And it's even better now they have switched to a local number at last.