Options

4.4.3 nexus 5

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A week or so on since mine has been updated and my Nexus 5 has gone from being almost faultless to having absolutely rubbish battery life.

Before this, I could go all night and lose no more than 10% drain even with wifi and everything turned on. Now since the update, I lose 5% per hour resulting in a 35-40% drain overnight! and my phone now needs to be charged twice a day.

This is the definite downside to having a nexus, yes you may get updates first but invariably we are beta testers!

The main culprits seem to be android OS and play services.

I've tried turning the gps onto battery saver but that makes no difference. I have since wiped the cache partition from recovery, and am going to see how that goes. Overall not impressed with this update so far.
    I'm not seeing this either on my Nexus 5, must be something on your phone or your settings maybe????
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone with an Xperia Z had the problems either, but plenty do. Xda-developers has many threads about it, and no doubt there are similar ones for the Nexus 5 now.

So, it's very odd and not clear what causes it. Obviously not everyone is disabling the location services and Google Now.

There's one key difference though. This is 4.4.3 on the Nexus 5 that has problems, but on the Xperia Z it's the 4.4.2 update that introduced the problem. Seems the problem is not so much with the OS update, but Play Services.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing this either on my Nexus 5, must be something on your phone or your settings maybe????

To be honest mate, I really don't see how. I rarely ever install any apps or change any settings, so unless the update changed a setting on its own then I doubt it... And if it did then surely it would be a simple case of changing that setting back to fix the problem.

Fact is nobody seems to know what causes it. I have wiped the cache, and it's perhaps better but too early to tell really. The next thing to try will be a factory reset which is a right pain considering I've got everything how I want it and really can't be bothered re setting everything back up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearing the Play Services cache only seems to work for a short time.

A factory reset is always a time consuming PITA. Last resort stuff.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not noticed any difference on my N5 either after the update. Good or bad.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've only had mine since Saturday. It was half full but charged it sunday and didn't need to charge until tues. That was with very limited use. But charged it Wednesday at 5pm and didn't use it and in the morning it was down to 72%. Battery went completely flat at 4pm. Not sure if thats normal or not though or if I've got a faulty phone.
  • Options
    npah3npah3 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I never saw any significant battery drain when I upgraded the other week but this week it drained very quickly. It said the screen was using most which is strange as never used it any more than usual.
    I checked apps running and saw that Google Play Music was running even though I never use it. I disabled this and it seems to hold its charge. May be a coincidence but its still holding better than before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wiping the cache from recovery, at this point, seems to have helped. 2 hours 7 minutes and with 19 minutes screen on time, it was 94%, which is what I'd regard as acceptable. I think that would have been down to about 85% before the wipe.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    v4.4.4 installed this morning
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before this, I could go all night and lose no more than 10% drain even with wifi and everything turned on. Now since the update, I lose 5% per hour resulting in a 35-40% drain overnight! and my phone now needs to be charged twice a day..

on 4.4.2 mine lost 1% per 8 hours overnight, on 4.4.3 it loses 2% per 8 hours overnight so not much difference to be honest (WiFi on with emails syncing etc.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know how some phones can manage only 1% drop overnight with all of the radios on, not even sure mine would have ever managed that even in airplane mode.

Anyway it seems to be back to a sensible level since u speed the cache partition. Although with 4.4.4 allegedly around the corner it looks as though even Google acknowledge that this wasn't a good update!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although with 4.4.4 allegedly around the corner it looks as though even Google acknowledge that this wasn't a good update!

not around the corner.
    it's turned the corner and is available.
    installed on mine this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    not around the corner.
    it's turned the corner and is available.
    installed on mine this morning.

I never seem to get my updates early so no doubt in a week or two it will land...

Edited to add just looks like a security update for SSL anyway so I won't get my hopes up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never seem to get my updates early so no doubt in a week or two it will land...

Edited to add just looks like a security update for SSL anyway so I won't get my hopes up.

easy enough to manually sideload it if you want.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to know how some phones can manage only 1% drop overnight with all of the radios on, not even sure mine would have ever managed that even in airplane mode.

Anyway it seems to be back to a sensible level since u speed the cache partition. Although with 4.4.4 allegedly around the corner it looks as though even Google acknowledge that this wasn't a good update!

My note 3 loses about 2% overnight but then it's got a massive battery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is mine still using my mobile data even though im at home on wifi?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Why is mine still using my mobile data even though im at home on wifi?

I have never had mine use cell data when it should have been on wifi. my old phone did it all the time.

i don't know. why yours is doing it. wifi is set up? enabled? you don't have some kind of battery saver app?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I have never had mine use cell data when it should have been on wifi. my old phone did it all the time.

i don't know. why yours is doing it. wifi is set up? enabled? you don't have some kind of battery saver app?

No. My data was on 4.95mb when I looked yesterday yet now it says 9.24mb used. As measured by my phone. Your carrier's data usage according may differ.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Three app can, and does, use mobile data even when you have WiFi enabled and connected. Is this a new feature of Android?

Useful as it is to enable the network to identify the user, what's to stop other apps using mobile data too? Is there a specific permission now for this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    The new Three app can, and does, use mobile data even when you have WiFi enabled and connected. Is this a new feature of Android?

Useful as it is to enable the network to identify the user, what's to stop other apps using mobile data too? Is there a specific permission now for this?

Well im with talkmobile. Although I will be buying out my remaining contract and going to three.